YouView claim today on Twitter that the entire Device base has been upgraded to Next Gen ....

UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
edited 9 July 2017, 10:57PM in Discussion
and in response to the now standard Q about rolling back to a previous version, the answer was:-

"Hi , this is not possible as the boxes are designed to take the latest software available to the YouView box."

Laughable ...... and the claim cannot possibly be correct - my UHD Box hasnt upgraded, nor will until things are sorted  ....

Comments

• SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,622 admin
    edited 26 June 2017, 3:06PM
    Hi Ursa,

This software has been made available to all box devices but it's still deployed in a phased roll-out so provided your box is connected online, it should update to Next Gen soon. 

Sarah
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 26 June 2017, 3:12PM
    Not quite the same as 'entire Device Base has been upgraded' ..... is it ?

Why not just announce something +ve - like when key missing features will be re-introduced ?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 June 2017, 1:26PM
    What YouView mean is that NextGen has been made available to the entire Device base.

If you use one of the update defeating methods, that is no concern of theirs.

However, even this lesser claim is defeated by the Hauwei DN371T, a Device for which there is no upgrade.

So, made available to the whole Device base of boxes for which an upgrade is in principle available.

Doesn't trip off the tongue quite so readily, does it? :-)
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • DaveGrohlDaveGrohl Member Posts: 80
    edited 27 June 2017, 6:15AM
    Maybe we should all get a Huawei?
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 June 2017, 9:46AM
    What puzzles me is why YouView have made this statement.

Could this be a precursor for "the big update"?

Surely it can't be too far away now.

Or perhaps it was just some overenthusiastic member of the social media team showing a bit too much initiative.
    edited 27 June 2017, 9:47AM
    What puzzles me is why YouView have made this statement.
    Could this be a precursor for "the big update"?
    Surely it can't be too far away now.
    Or perhaps it was just some overenthusiastic member of the social media team showing a bit too much initiative.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 315
    edited 27 June 2017, 1:59PM
    Roy1 said:

What YouView mean is that NextGen has been made available to the entire Device base.

However, even this lesser claim is defeated by the Hauwei DN371T, a Device for which there is no upgrade.

So, made available to the whole Device base of boxes for which an upgrade is in principle available.

"made available to the whole Device base of boxes for which an upgrade is in principle available"
    or
    "made available to the whole Device base of boxes for which an upgrade is in principle available or those which it has not been made available at all".
    edited 28 June 2017, 7:06AM
    jimb

It's a landmark in YouView history. Why wouldn't they want to publicise it? :-)
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    edited 27 June 2017, 2:03PM
    Roy1 said:

jimb

If I'm not mistaken your mood seems to have lifted a little lately.
    I was just wondering what version of software your various boxes are on (if that is not classified information).
    :-)
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 June 2017, 4:32PM
    Roy1 said:

jimb

Roy is on version 28.99 and it has YouTube, Amazon, full NowTV, Lists, mini TV, Discover section, Action Panel, jump to time on recording, Favorites, Padding, etc....

He is just making a list of the things he wants improving ;-)

edited 27 June 2017, 3:14PM
    Roy1 said:

jimb

It's sunny outside, and it's nice to know the deluge is pretty much over. That entirely accounts for any lifting of mood you might have observed.

Though a decent bottle of Spanish red shared in convivial company might also be contributing...
  • anonanon Member Posts: 6
    edited 27 June 2017, 10:53PM
    Roy1 said:

jimb

How long till youview boxes have the speed and hardware performance of sky boxes.... One thing I practically cried over was of the overall performance of the youview box itself, after switching from sky to save £5, I'm really beginning to wish that I hadn't switched as I want to throw the box out of my living room window and jump a Riverdance all over it
    edited 28 June 2017, 6:57AM
    Roy1 said:

jimb

Only £5? Or did you mean '£s'?

And it isn't fair to criticise the speed of a box designed to be connected to the internet when it isn't so connected, as it will keep trying to connect with just about everything you do, and needs to timeout each time.

Though there is some doubt as to whether you really weren't connected....

But as long as you are, YouView boxes should not be slow, and there are things you can try.

If you can come back with a consistent description of your actual setup (Are there now tiles for your recordings? Do they have pictures on, or just text on a black background?)
    we can go from there.
    edited 28 June 2017, 7:03AM
    Roy1 said:

"made available to the whole Device base of boxes for which an upgrade is in principle available, which excludes those boxes for which it has not been made available at all".
    edited 28 June 2017, 7:06AM
    Roy1 said:

jimb

Scott - you forgot "Alexa, tell YouView to get this (expletive deleted) BT branding off my retail box" :-)
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 28 June 2017, 1:26PM
    Roy1 said:

the claim was firm - any inferrence is your own !

and of course there must be many people who have prevented the update ....

I think JimB may have the size of it .....