How to prevent your box updating to Next Generation

1235»

Comments

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:07PM
    Tim C said:

Just a summary of what to do to prevent an update.

1. Disconnect the YV box from the internet overnight.
         This can be done by physically removing the connecting ethernet cable, powering off a powerline adapter if that method is used or preferably block the device's internet connection in the router. This would typically be in Parental Controls.
         I block this latter way between midnight & 8am.

This successfully blocks the overnight automatic update check meaning that any further update checks should happening when the box is in use but giving you the option to reject the update. There have ,however, been instances where it has happened regardless.

2. The ultimate , most usable, method is to block access to specific websites using your router.
       If your router supports URL blocking - fortunately my Asus does, then these are the URLs to block:-

humaxtvportal.com
    reporting-live.youview.tv
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv
    ispdiscovery.vision.bt.com

There seems to be absolutely no down side to this as the box behaves totally normally in every respect that I can see , only blocking any attempt at an update.

If your router supports this functionality then this is the essential step to take. Typically this would be in the firewall section.

Failing the above , if you can live without catchup , remote recording etc just unplug the ethernet cable

Is there nothing under a Firewall setting?

This might help:- https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-Trials-Discussions/HG633-opinions-hidden-menus/td-p/1676746

And maybe this one http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/printthread.php?tid=32449

All found using the power of Google. :-)
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:03PM
    Ceg said:

Oh oh:

"Your automatic update is all done and dusted. Which means your YouView box now has a shiny new look. You should have an even better viewing experience, find it simpler to navigate between channels – and even easier to find the stuff you love. We hope you like it."

I'm away from home so am unable to check, hoping it's just a mass email, fingers crossed. If not Plusnet have lost a TV customer, and the Youview box will be ebayed/binned.

As long as you don't end up having to perform a reset on the box to get it working after upgrading
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:27PM
    Tim C said:

This can be done by physically removing the connecting ethernet cable, powering off a powerline adapter if that method is used or preferably block the device's internet connection in the router. This would typically be in Parental Controls.

This successfully blocks the overnight automatic update check meaning that any further update checks should happening when the box is in use but giving you the option to reject the update. There have ,however, been instances where it has happened regardless.

2. The ultimate , most usable, method is to block access to specific websites using your router.
       If your router supports URL blocking - fortunately my Asus does, then these are the URLs to block:-

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

There seems to be absolutely no down side to this as the box behaves totally normally in every respect that I can see , only blocking any attempt at an update.

If your router supports this functionality then this is the essential step to take. Typically this would be in the firewall section.

Failing the above , if you can live without catchup , remote recording etc just unplug the ethernet cable

Excellent. Found it. Thanks.
    The page says "Specify the keywords of the URLs that need to be filtered. URL Filter filters the URLs containing those keywords."
    So is this OK?...

• StephenStephen Member Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:35PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

Given you have TalkTalk I presume you have a Huawei box rather than a Humax box?
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:41PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

Several actually. But the one I'm trying to stop from updating is a BT one - DTRT2110.
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:45PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

No further comment then m'lud
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:49PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

But what would you have said if it had been a Huawei box?
    Different URLs?
    This would be useful to know for other TalkTalk users who may wish to do this.
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:50PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

I might have pointed you to reconsider your first entry
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:56PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

Care to spill the beans? (Please nicely.)
    Otherwise we're going to have to find a Huawei user who understands this wiresharking malarkey.
    edited 28 April 2017, 2:59PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

And I'm guessing the last entry is wrong for a Huawei as well?
    edited 28 April 2017, 3:33PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

I have a DN370T so I could have a look when I can be bothered to setup the connection through a Linux laptop.

For those entries on my ASUS router you don't need the full URL. I have just used the first part of the URL i.e. 'humaxtvportal', 'reporting-live'

Will post back with the Huawei info at some point, although I may allow that box to update in the end as I would like to try NextGen but have no desire to cripple my T2120.
    edited 28 April 2017, 3:33PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

Obviously what I've posted - a copy from Ceg's fine work - does relate specifically to Humax boxes on BT lines. Including those regardless for a Huawei on TalkTalk or a Humax on Plusnet I'm pretty sure won't do any harm as they'll never be reference anyway.

My daughter has a Huawei & is with TalkTalk so when I'm next there I'll see what I can find out.

In the meantime I'm guessing that these 2 might be the really important ones :-
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv

Don't know why I duplicated an entry above :- reporting-live.youview.tv btw.
    edited 28 April 2017, 4:15PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

beans
    Me participating in this thread is already somewhat off-piste, I should probably politely pass.
    last entry
    Lower entries are for configuration, so their presence or absence won't change the effectiveness with regards to your main objective.
    edited 28 April 2017, 3:17PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

Muchas gracias Stephen.
    edited 28 April 2017, 7:49PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

Given the movement on the DN370T I decided to have a look so here's the list:

su.tv.talktalk.net
    updates-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

So the only different URL is the top one, I couldn't find any connections to 'config-live.youview.tv' but I would block it anyway.
    edited 28 April 2017, 10:58PM
    Tim C said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

Excellent work. I'm surprised to see the reference to BT in there though.
    edited 5 May 2017, 6:45AM
    I'd just like to endorse Tim C's URL blocking list...

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

If you block these with your router and then try and do a manual update, the box as usual says "Checking for latest software".
    This message is displayed for 2 minutes, and then the box gives up and says "Software up to date" (even though it doesn't actually know this.)

So it works!

(This was tested with a BT DTR-T2100, TalkTalk line and TalkTalk HG633 router.)
    edited 5 May 2017, 9:02AM
    jimb said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

If you block these with your router and then try and do a manual update, the box as usual says "Checking for latest software".
    This message is displayed for 2 minutes, and then the box gives up and says "Software up to date" (even though it doesn't actually know this.)

So it works!

Tim C's list? The cheek ;D Glad it works for you as well.
    I was quite scared the first time I tried the manual update after blocking the URLs.
    edited 5 May 2017, 9:02AM
    jimb said:

humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv

So it works!

Obviously I have taken no credit for that list as it originally came from a posting on here about 4 years ago and has been repeated by others since.
  • Neil McNeil Mc Member Posts: 1
    edited 15 May 2017, 6:49AM
    I have the BT Homehub 6 and can't find the section to block URL's can anyone help?
    edited 14 May 2017, 11:03PM
    Neil Mc said:

I have the BT Homehub 6 and can't find the section to block URL's can anyone help?

I haven't been able to find a proper manual for the smart hub so can't help.
    edited 15 May 2017, 6:49AM
    Neil Mc said:

You might need to investigate BTs Parental Control that is set up by logging into your BT ID. It does suggest that controls on individual websites - ie URL filtering - can be setup to prevent access to those sites.
  • greencodegreencode Member Posts: 18
    edited 29 June 2017, 9:00PM
    Just wondering what's the best way to block the updates. Is it by time i.e. between 1am - 4am or block the individual websites (mentioned above) all of the time. My TP-LINK router only gives me the option to do one of these.

I've now purchased yet another box from eBay (with Classic software version) as my current box has updated the latest software version and whilst it's fractionally better than the first new release, it's still poor and nowhere near as good as the Classic version. Not sure how it auto-updated when I currently block the box from 12am - 8am. I'm the only that uses the box and can't for the life of me remember ever clicking "yes, update" - Weird.

Why, oh why can't they just give us the option to turn off auto-updates. Just plain rude.
    edited 28 June 2017, 10:58PM
    greencode said:

Just wondering what's the best way to block the updates. Is it by time i.e. between 1am - 4am or block the individual websites (mentioned above) all of the time. My TP-LINK router only gives me the option to do one of these.

I've now purchased yet another box from eBay (with Classic software version) as my current box has updated the latest software version and whilst it's fractionally better than the first new release, it's still poor and nowhere near as good as the Classic version. Not sure how it auto-updated when I currently block the box from 12am - 8am. I'm the only that uses the box and can't for the life of me remember ever clicking "yes, update" - Weird.

Why, oh why can't they just give us the option to turn off auto-updates. Just plain rude.

I would go with blocking the URLs, as this will prevent an accidental update as well.
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 29 June 2017, 7:20AM
    greencode said:

I've got an Ethernet switch to share the cable twixt my UHD Box and the Samsung TV .... it and other peripherals are plugged into r/f mains sockets, controlled by a wireless hand-held ....

So its simply a matter of powering off the mains sockets for the Sound Bar, TV & the ES when I shutdown viewing for the evening   ... unless theres IP channels eg EuroSport & BT Sport, that I need circa 07.00, I dont power up the ES again until the following evening ...
  • greencodegreencode Member Posts: 18
    edited 29 June 2017, 7:37AM
    greencode said:

With blocking that set list of URLs could it mean that YouView may add another URL to the list without us knowing until it's too late and the software updates?
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 29 June 2017, 11:00AM
    greencode said:

who knows - hence my Sledgehammer approach ....
    edited 29 June 2017, 8:57PM
    greencode said:

greencode: I have used wireshark to monitor all connections made by a Humax box and a Huawei box during the manual update procedure and the automatic update overnight.

Unless they planned for this scenario and placed some other URLs in the firmware that lay dormant for a while (highly unlikely) this method should be fine. The only way for Youview to change the URLs would be in a firmware update.

I have been blocking the URLs and blocking Internet access overnight for 4 months with no ill effects.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 June 2017, 9:00PM
    greencode said:

"I have used wireshark to monitor all connections made by a Humax box and a Huawei box during the manual update procedure and the automatic update overnight."
    How clever. You know your stuff Ceg! The majority on users on here don't. Including me. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.