Seriously though..

Comments

• DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2017, 9:19AM
    Visionman said:

zulu17>
    "Well we are now into the second half of the year ."
    The old platform took years, not months. 
    Listen zulu, purely because of the feedback on this forum, they have been slightly diverted from their planned release path as their new priority is now improving the user journey both in and out of My TV. It needed improving and the last 2 updates were made (from scratch) purely because of that.
    That to me says quick response.

This new platforms capable of far more than the old. I'm talking TV on the go, multiroom, bounce content from one box to another and to and from one device to another, Don't get me wrong, I'm totally talking years here, but it will happen. And for retail users too. I honestly believe YouView is the future of 21st century Freeview (DTT) Television. 

I don't know about you VM but I'm finding it very offensive to not be acknowledged at all when zulu is copy and pasting the same post over and over again. I can appreciate that someone may be annoyed about something but it's certainly not our fault and to just ignore us is plain rude.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Whilst I have no doubt YouView are making progress on all these matters, it is hard not to feel a little that this falls short of the apparent promise at launch of next gen of its improved ease of development and thus more rapid release. The fixes to MyTV in and out journeys have significantly improved that so it works as expected (although it could still benefit from 2 lines per programme title, number of episodes shown on all tiles not just scrolling in on the current one, A-Z ordering option, and of course some would like a simpler list view).

Whilst hiding channels, action panels, and discover are not core features to me (although I would use hide channels once available again), their absence is like a nagging splinter one cannot quite remove. The sooner these are finished, tested and released the better. Then perhaps attention can turn to when truly new developments will appear (although not forgetting there are still other missing features from current gen that need restoring)!

In the meantime all boxes (except the niche retail Huawei) now have next gen available to them and the level of engagement/feedback on the forum has somewhat subsided.

• DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 345 ✭✭
    edited 2 July 2017, 10:44AM
    I'm hoping there will be more improvements to Youview before the end of this year.
    I also still waiting to see when the promised BT TV app as well as the Youview app will be getting another update.

Darren
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:07AM
    A question one might ask currently is, why are BT not yet rolling forward to the 28.26.0 release given that it finishes addressing the back journey issue in MyTV (which is a source of a lot of feedback and frustration). Whilst doubtful, one could perhaps hope they think a further improvement is almost ready and thus are waiting for that before they take the next step forward. I would be pleased if that were the case but think it is more likely 1-3 months before we see further improvements given the progress to date.
  • speedyritespeedyrite Member Posts: 81
    edited 2 July 2017, 12:06PM
    Keith1 said:

A question one might ask currently is, why are BT not yet rolling forward to the 28.26.0 release given that it finishes addressing the back journey issue in MyTV (which is a source of a lot of feedback and frustration). Whilst doubtful, one could perhaps hope they think a further improvement is almost ready and thus are waiting for that before they take the next step forward. I would be pleased if that were the case but think it is more likely 1-3 months before we see further improvements given the progress to date.

Yes this is eagerly anticipated here on our BT Retail T2110, as that improved back journey would be most helpful to us (with our many stacks of episodes of multiple shows).

Message to YouView and/or BT: "GET ON WITH IT!"

Oh and a further message to YouView - thanks for totally ignoring all my emails regarding my efforts/attempts to join the Trial programme...
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 July 2017, 12:18PM
    Keith1 said:

Whilst I have no doubt YouView are making progress on all these matters, it is hard not to feel a little that this falls short of the apparent promise at launch of next gen of its improved ease of development and thus more rapid release. The fixes to MyTV in and out journeys have significantly improved that so it works as expected (although it could still benefit from 2 lines per programme title, number of episodes shown on all tiles not just scrolling in on the current one, A-Z ordering option, and of course some would like a simpler list view).

Whilst hiding channels, action panels, and discover are not core features to me (although I would use hide channels once available again), their absence is like a nagging splinter one cannot quite remove. The sooner these are finished, tested and released the better. Then perhaps attention can turn to when truly new developments will appear (although not forgetting there are still other missing features from current gen that need restoring)!

In the meantime all boxes (except the niche retail Huawei) now have next gen available to them and the level of engagement/feedback on the forum has somewhat subsided.

This succession of tiny releases bears out that YouView do now indeed have the capability to roll out releases very rapidly and incrementally.

However, their tiny levels of advance also suggests that developing under HTML5 is no easier than it was under Flash.

Also, given what these releases are fixing, I am struggling to see why one or two designers haven't been shown the door, or at least sent for retraining.

Though perhaps they have :-)
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
    edited 2 July 2017, 12:35PM
    Keith1 said:

As much as people are not happy and have expressed so time and time again which is there right I actually have began to wonder if youview sees it as a success given how many active boxes they are vs the number complaining.
    edited 2 July 2017, 1:08PM
    Keith1 said:

I think YouView consulted a panel of dentists before embarking on NextGen, to see how they sell the prospect of temporary pain in the pursuit of long-term gain :-)
    edited 2 July 2017, 1:09PM
    Keith1 said:

Lol Roy if out else I laughed when I seen your post. I was at the dentist recently I wonder if I was laughing lol because they left the gas on lol
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 July 2017, 4:22PM
    Keith1 said:

Keith - Don't worry about BT. In regard to the Trials Team, don't bother. I sent a direct email to Heather. Do so too.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 3 July 2017, 9:01AM
    Keith1 said:

Thanks, I would do so if I knew her email address. But I think I used up all my investigative strength just tracking down the YouView Trials Centre to register an account there :o
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,550 admin
    edited 4 July 2017, 1:05PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi speedyrite,

I'm sorry to hear that you've not heard back from anyone in our Trials team regarding joining.

I've reached out to our Trials team about this so you should get an email from them soon. If you've still not heard anything by next week, please email [email protected] and someone in our team will chase it up again :) 

Sarah
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited 3 July 2017, 11:37AM
    Visionman said:

zulu17>
    Listen zulu, purely because of the feedback on this forum, they have been slightly diverted from their planned release path as their new priority is now improving the user journey both in and out of My TV. It needed improving and the last 2 updates were made (from scratch) purely because of that.

This new platforms capable of far more than the old. I'm talking TV on the go, multiroom, bounce content from one box to another and to and from one device to another, Don't get me wrong, I'm totally talking years here, but it will happen. And for retail users too. I honestly believe YouView is the future of 21st century Freeview (DTT) Television. 

I suggest that you actually read the post made (I did subsequent repeat it twice to aid you) . The post is not commenting upon the delivery of YouView to date but looking for clarification as to what YouView progress is making going forward into the second half of this calender year.  

Clearly you seem to have access to more public domain information than I have but providing your view of past progress and the future of television later in the 21st  Century whilst welcome doesn't actually give me any indication of the progress that is being made on Youview  on the items that are listed within this thread. 
    edited 3 July 2017, 11:44AM
    Visionman said:

zulu17>

Visionman is a human and not psychic. Also if visionman did have any information about youview I have zero doubt that he would be bound by a non disclosure agreement.

I mean what if people started broadcasting stuff on the internet that don't make it into the final version. One youview will be annoyed and two it could lead to a lot of annoyed users expecting features that are not actually going to come.
    edited 3 July 2017, 12:57PM
    Visionman said:

zulu17>

Zulu, I genuinely have no idea
    edited 3 July 2017, 12:52PM
    Visionman said:

zulu17>

Well there you go right from the horses mouth so to speak.
    edited 4 July 2017, 1:03PM
    Keith1 said:

You try to sign up for the trials, and all you get is tribulations :-)
    edited 4 July 2017, 1:04PM
    Keith1 said:

As long as tribulations doesn't lead to any tribbles...
    edited 5 July 2017, 2:34PM
    Keith1 said:

It's all right, they weren't in Next Gen :-)
    edited 10 July 2017, 5:45PM
    Keith1 said:

@Sarah - one week on, predictably no email from the Trials team! Have now completely lost the will to take part so won't be bothering to email [email protected],com Given up...
    edited 10 July 2017, 10:25PM
    Keith1 said:

You did use a . and not a , I hope.
    edited 11 July 2017, 8:12AM
    Keith1 said:

apologies , was a typo on my part in that msg, meant . of course - although it's academic as I won't be bothering to email them anyway
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,550 admin
    edited 11 July 2017, 12:33PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi speedyrite,

I'm so sorry you've not had a response yet. I've chased this up with the Trials team and you will be receiving an invite before this weekend if you're still interested in taking part. 

Apologies again for the delay in getting this sorted.

Sarah
  • wnmatherwnmather Member Posts: 41
    edited 11 July 2017, 6:14PM
    Visionman said:

zulu17>

I am beginning to think that Visionman is two separate people. He has quoted on another thread 7 days ago "I've never used any of the next three planned releases". You appear to have let the cat out the bag so it is time to come clean.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July 2017, 7:12PM
    Visionman said:

zulu17>

I'm sure that Visionman was simply referring to the three main elements that YouView have promised - Discover, Edit Channels and Action Panel.

So there is an another interesting conclusion that one might draw.
    Perhaps neither Visionman nor any other member of this forum has been trialling a version of software that is testing any of these three important developments.

If that is the case then it seems probable that seeing a software release including any of  these developments is not going to happen any time soon.

Indeed Visionman also said (to Keith) "...But we will both get to test them."
  • wnmatherwnmather Member Posts: 41
    edited 11 July 2017, 7:23PM
    Visionman said:

zulu17>

The fact he said "the next three planned releases" suggests that he is aware of the development and release roadmap. He replied to Zulu that he genuinely had no idea. So which is it?

We have all heard on this forum what Youview have alleged they are going to bring back and we have heard many times from Visionman that they cannot / will not restore some items. I would like someone from Youview with executive authority to come onto this forum and give us a definitive statement on what will and will not be restored and a reason why it is not technically or commercially viable to restore lost functionality.
    edited 17 July 2017, 8:26AM
    Keith1 said:

@Sarah - thanks for your further reply and chasing. I have now received an email reply from the Trials team. Been away for a couple of days, just got back so will reply to them tomorrow.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2017, 2:17PM
    Can I clarify whether issue(s) concerning the accuracy of the My TV Scheduled recordings is included in the My TV items in progress ? thank you.
    edited 14 July 2017, 11:30PM
    zulu17 said:

Can I clarify whether issue(s) concerning the accuracy of the My TV Scheduled recordings is included in the My TV items in progress ? thank you.

No, they are not.
    edited 14 July 2017, 11:34PM
    zulu17 said:

You've been told about this several times. This is a peer to peer public forum. User to user.
    If you want answers directly from YouView then go to YouView. They will answer you.