Sky sports changes

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    And no good getting all this live content if it doesn't interest you. I personally am disappointed at the loss of the Scottish Premier league.
    But there's the rub, Sky has always been that way, bundling a gazillion channels whether you want them or not. Unbundling Sky Sports is an interesting move. But not for customers of anyone other than Sky. And the BT offering I think we can all agree is risible.
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 18 July 2017, 7:04PM
    Word of caution for anyone on Sky it seems they are now offering rolling or contract on Sky Premiums so ask if your unsure because as I read it if you take contract your locked in and must keep your premium for 18 months hence them offering it cheaper.

Oh and Sky are now showing T20 cricket Live however there's nothing Live on Sky Sports Main Event
    edited 18 July 2017, 6:47PM
    David8 said:

Word of caution for anyone on Sky it seems they are now offering rolling or contract on Sky Premiums so ask if your unsure because as I read it if you take contract your locked in and must keep your premium for 18 months hence them offering it cheaper.

Oh and Sky are now showing T20 cricket Live however there's nothing Live on Sky Sports Main Event

I don't quite understand that David, could you elucidate please? Not that we want to get too bogged down on contractual obligations here, with Sky, or anyone else. Probably. ;)
    edited 18 July 2017, 6:54PM
    David8 said:

Ok let me explain , I currently don't have Sky Sports if I go into My Sky it gives me two options , the rolling choose how many channels you want from £18 or it offers you the complete Sky Sports pack at £20 instead of £27.50 however it requires you to recontract for 18 months and keep Sky Sports I believe. It also offers HD at £2 instead of the rolling amount of £6.

To be fair it's pretty clearly explained in My Sky but I was thinking for anyone ringing in where things can get lost in the conversation.

Hope that makes sense.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 July 2017, 6:55PM
    redchiz said:

And no good getting all this live content if it doesn't interest you. I personally am disappointed at the loss of the Scottish Premier league.
    But there's the rub, Sky has always been that way, bundling a gazillion channels whether you want them or not. Unbundling Sky Sports is an interesting move. But not for customers of anyone other than Sky. And the BT offering I think we can all agree is risible.100% agree with your post here.
    edited 18 July 2017, 7:00PM
    David8 said:

Thanks for that David. And kind of! So they are offering you a discounted price on Sky Sports in exchange for a new contract? How does that affect your existing overall package with them? When I was last with Sky and out of contract I was allowed to add/remove channels/bundles as long as it was for a minimum 30 days at a time.
    edited 18 July 2017, 7:03PM
    David8 said:

It reads like you must keep whatever bundle you recontract with , so if you have the Boxsets bundle and the complete Sky Sports pack and elect for the discounted price you must keep at least that exact pack for the full 18 months.
    edited 18 July 2017, 7:07PM
    David8 said:

OK, thanks again, I'll leave it there I think! :)
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 July 2017, 6:00PM
    Looks like the BBC will announce a multi year deal for the US PGA golf major. They have decided to take a hit on money to become free to air, a real blow to Sky and maybe the start of things to come for paywall sports. The masters at Augusta has no deal for the first two days and no deal at all with Sky. Could be interesting.
  • impydaveimpydave Member Posts: 32
    edited 19 July 2017, 6:14AM
    scott said:

It's not good :-

e-mail from BT. They are putting the price up

"20 August 2017, the price you pay for Sky Sports Main Event will be going up by £6.50 per month"

"£33.50 for High Definition (HD) Sky Sports Main Event"

So losing a channel until the Premier League starts and then it'll only be part time. But they are putting the cost up.

Who in their right mind will pay that? I moved from Sky in March, was with them for 18 years, most of the time on the top package and I rarely miss it, I am a cricket fan so would have liked that dedicated channel, but why pay that through BT when you can get it all via NowTV for the same price?

Madness!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 July 2017, 3:31PM
    scott said:

"20 August 2017, the price you pay for Sky Sports Main Event will be going up by £6.50 per month"

So losing a channel until the Premier League starts and then it'll only be part time. But they are putting the cost up.

Looks like Sky are trying to ensure that nobody watches Sky Sports on BT TV.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 19 July 2017, 3:33PM
    scott said:

Sounds about right. If anyone does keep sky sports on BT I hope sky and BT invest the extra money on making sure the epg is correct on youview boxes. I doubt they will but one can dream lol.
    edited 19 July 2017, 3:40PM
    scott said:

The EPG will depend on which services are available from your ISP. TalkTalk had some gremlins yesterday apparently judging by their forums, but all seems to have been sorted by this morning.

edited 19 July 2017, 3:41PM
    scott said:

I don't know if you remember my threads about the sky sports 1 and 2 guide errors. It seemed to happen excessively on sky sports 1 and 2.
    edited 19 July 2017, 3:55PM
    scott said:

I do indeed, but this latest glitch is related to the changes from the old to new Sky Sports channels on the TalkTalk EPG, some were not appearing at all apparently which was causing some consternation as you might imagine!
    edited 19 July 2017, 3:55PM
    scott said:

Definitely.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 July 2017, 5:11PM
    scott said:

Looks like the BBC will announce a multi year deal for the US PGA golf major. They have decided to take a hit on money to become free to air, a real blow to Sky and maybe the start of things to come for paywall sports. The masters at Augusta has no deal for the first two days and no deal at all with Sky. Could be interesting.

Thats the problem with paywall sports. They get the money but don't get the viewing figures.
    Sky’s inaugural coverage of last year’s Open had a peak viewership of 1.1m.
    Previously on the BBC (in 2015) it had a live audience 4.7m.
    Though Martin Slumbers, Chief of the R&A, who has been heavily criticised, has been vigorously defending the Open's move to Sky whilst taking a firm swipe at the BBCs coverage as being “tired” and “outdated”. He forgot to mention the viewing figures.

And there were the same kind of rumblings when F1 partially moved from the BBC to Sky, but they could no longer afford the £40m per year. And so agreed to screen half at £20m. Then sadly realised they couldn't even afford that. And so its now on CH4.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 19 July 2017, 5:24PM
    scott said:

Spot on. Though you seem to have overlooked the shudderings at UEFA when they - or probably more importantly their sponsors and advertisers - realised the precipitous drop in viewing figures when BT gained exclusivity and ITV lost out. ;)
    edited 19 July 2017, 5:39PM
    scott said:

UEFA have been slaughtered for doing that exclusive deal with BT. And rightly so.
    I know its personal opinion only, but in my view there should always be some form of FTA television in all sports. Dream on eh? 
    Is the Olympics going paywall?
    edited 19 July 2017, 5:44PM
    scott said:

The Olympics, that paragon of all that is sporting. Perhaps they should just get sponsorship from drug companies and be done with it. If some idiots want to pump themselves full of **** and run 100m in 6 seconds who wouldn't want to watch that?
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 July 2017, 5:55PM
    scott said:

Do you mean the first time UEFA gave it exclusively to BT or this time round when they gave it even more exclusive even though everybody said they were not happy with the viewing figures
    edited 19 July 2017, 6:00PM
    scott said:

I mean the first time, until BT held an even bigger cheque in front of them.  ;)
    edited 19 July 2017, 6:02PM
    I've just checked my TV channels, dreading my BT Sport channels had been cancelled as well. They haven't and all is in order.
    edited 19 July 2017, 6:02PM
    Visionman said:

I've just checked my TV channels, dreading my BT Sport channels had been cancelled as well. They haven't and all is in order.

Excellent, enjoy your Intercontinental Lacrosse Championship, or whatever it is they are covering at the moment. ;)
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    I've just seen a few posters state they are going to take BT to the Ombudsman, but just as with Discovery on TalkTalk, under the terms & conditions of their contract they can't. Well, they can, but they won't get anywhere with it.
    edited 20 July 2017, 6:28PM
    Visionman said:

I've just seen a few posters state they are going to take BT to the Ombudsman, but just as with Discovery on TalkTalk, under the terms & conditions of their contract they can't. Well, they can, but they won't get anywhere with it.

Usually it's in the terms that change can happen with notice. I agree with you that the ombudsman won't be introduced. A bt customer only has 1 option really. Cancel the sport if in contract.
  • Lynne SandersLynne Sanders Member Posts: 3
    edited 8 August 2017, 5:06PM
    scott said:

More or less..depends what you want. No one seems to know yet but I would guess BT will get 401 and 402. Main events and Prem football. If you like casual sports you will get all the big events (not available to anyone else as a stand alone channel) but if you really like cricket I think you will lose a lot.

New deal for BT with Sky sport is rubbish. Main event channel and empty random add on channel for £27.50. NO cricket and no choice. Cancelled of course. Letter received on day of change. Very wrong.
    edited 21 July 2017, 1:38AM
    Visionman said:

Yes. Totally.
  • Gaurav SharmaGaurav Sharma Member Posts: 1
    edited 21 July 2017, 12:12PM
    redchiz said:

I wonder how this will affect TalkTalk as Daniel said. Will they also offer a mix and match of bundles rather than one humongous all-in Boost as they do now? That would certainly be good news for those who are only into certain sports, but currently have to pay for the rest anyway.

Generally speaking, it may also be a clever way to retain and even increase their core PL subscribers who have been deserting them in droves lately at a time when live rights have never been costlier.

Virgin customers like myself will not benefit still all 10 sports channels for 31.75 because of the history of the rate card system with sky. Sky customers  tailoring their sports packages do not make much of a saving
    1 channel = 18 2 channel =22 3 channels for 26. Why pay the latter when you can get all ten sports channels 27 pound 50 you are only saving 1.50 per month.The prices should have been
    1 channel = 10   2 channels =14  3 channels = 18  and the complete sports package for 22 pounds at least.

Overall meaningless promotion and publicity as don't forget you have to add these prices onto a basic sky package of 22 pounds. Sky will never let you have it without this add on or give a flexible al carte system when distributing to Virgin, BT and other providers. 
    edited 21 July 2017, 4:30PM
    Just for info, this years Emirates Cup (football) will be on the FTA (Freeview) channel Quest, CH37 -
    http://www.questtv.co.uk/emirates-cup-2017/