Most recent update - optional or compulsory? Is it reversible

Sue KingSue King Member Posts: 4
edited 31 July 2017, 10:07AM in Support
I have just allowed our Humax to download and install the new software and we now get the New View. I thought I had no choice but my husband says he has always been ok by just clicking "Remind me later" or something like that. Did I HAVE to change or could we have stayed with the old view indefinitely? Can I go back? I got on fine with the old system most of the time but feel helpless with the new one, which looks very different.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2017, 2:55PM
    You didn't have to, but a YouView box will update overnight without any further permission than you have given generally by accepting the T&Cs, so your further explicit permission at the time is neither required nor sought,

If you switch your box off overnight, then it will ask to update when it is next switched on, about once a week.

And yes, you can say 'no' to this, but the box lies in wait for innocent spouses who thwart their husband's carefully laid plans in the way you have possibly done :-(

After which it becomes quite deaf to cries of "Oops, I didn't mean to do that!" and there is NO WAY BACK.

Best now to read YouView's help for the new NextGen way of doing the things you can do in NextGen, while waiting for YouView to bring back any of the things you used to be able to do on CurrentGen, but can't do on NextGen until YouView rewrite them in NextGen-speak, which is HTML-5 instead of Flash.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2017, 11:52PM
    "I got on fine with the old system most of the time but feel helpless with the new one, which looks very different."
    It is very different. What do you need help with?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 30 July 2017, 6:55AM
    Roy1 said:

You didn't have to, but a YouView box will update overnight without any further permission than you have given generally by accepting the T&Cs, so your further explicit permission at the time is neither required nor sought,

If you switch your box off overnight, then it will ask to update when it is next switched on, about once a week.

And yes, you can say 'no' to this, but the box lies in wait for innocent spouses who thwart their husband's carefully laid plans in the way you have possibly done :-(

After which it becomes quite deaf to cries of "Oops, I didn't mean to do that!" and there is NO WAY BACK.

Best now to read YouView's help for the new NextGen way of doing the things you can do in NextGen, while waiting for YouView to bring back any of the things you used to be able to do on CurrentGen, but can't do on NextGen until YouView rewrite them in NextGen-speak, which is HTML-5 instead of Flash.

Not in my experience - my 4K box has its Internet access curtailed before midnight by powering off the ES it & the Samsung 'share' to gain access to the Router    ... so I'm still enjoying using 'Good Gen' version of the Firmware - Huzzah !
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2017, 7:53AM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Ursa

I'm relying for my facts here on this posting from YouView Techie Stephen:-

https://community.youview.com/youview...

I suppose if you never put your box in Standby, things would go as you describe, but otherwise, I am unable to explain the discrepancy here.

Any thoughts?
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 30 July 2017, 2:55PM
    Roy1 said:

Nope, no s/by - I power it down into its 'Energy Saver' Mode .... if it is an anomaly that it hasnt insisted on bringing down a downgrade in waking hours I'm very pleased ! I've happily stayed with List-Form Recordings and being able to jump where I like when replaying them !