BTDTRT2100 Soft Picture on 4K Sony Bravia

Martin14Martin14 Member Posts: 7
edited 21 August 2017, 11:50PM in Support
Hi, I have just bought a new Sony Bravia 4K HDR TV, but when I watch HD Or SD channels through my BT DTRT2100 box the picture is visibly softer than if I watch the same channel through the TVs own built in Youview tuner. I have tried turning the BT box's output quality down in the hope that the TV would upscale but this doesn't work. It's frustrating as you can notice the quality difference on recordings, and the BT box is faster when changing channels. Has anyone else experienced this, and have a fix? (I had no quality issue on my old Panasonic non 4K tv).

Comments

• Chris LettsChris Letts Member Posts: 32
    edited 19 August 2017, 12:50PM
    That's surprising as I find the opposite with my Bravia/BT box combination.
    How are you connecting BT box to TV (presumably hdmi) - don't forget with some/most SONY TV's (certainly with mine) you can change the HDMI settings and TV Tuner settings independently so its possible you've only optimised the TV settings and not the HDMI ??

Also, sounds crazy, but try an other hdmi cable - it you've gone from a 'normal' TV to a 4K maybe you need a better quality cable (but don't spend a fortune!)
  • Martin14Martin14 Member Posts: 7
    edited 19 August 2017, 6:34PM
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

In answer to your question, I am connected with an hdmi lead, (which claims to be 4K compliant), directly into the HDMI 1 input on the back of the TV.

I have set the picture settings exactly the same on both the TV and the HDMI1 inputs - which is why I am so confused that the BT Box picture is softer.

I will definitely try a different lead, but please may I ask which picture setting you are using for your box? I am using the "cinema home" setting - but as I said it is for both inputs. Perhaps they do need to be different?

Any advice is gratefully received.

Many Thanks.
    edited 19 August 2017, 6:56PM
    I'm not sure where the 'cinema home' setting is ! 
    I can't seem to find it in the settings.
    edited 19 August 2017, 7:37PM
    On my TV, when I go into Picture Settings the first option is Picture Mode. It is here that I selected Cinema Home.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 August 2017, 7:51PM
    Chris, please list your TV model number. For instance, mines a Sony Bravia KD-43X8305C.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 19 August 2017, 8:01PM
    I don't have a Picture Mode option.
    Mine is a KDL-46HX853
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 315
    edited 19 August 2017, 8:34PM
    The KDL-46HX853 i-manual on the Sony site has 2 ways of setting a scene mode, and they have slightly different scenes listed!
    These are the links for the two pages.  The first is via the picture mode option.
    http://helpguide.sony.net/gbmig/C5651001/v1/eng/c_picscrn_picmode.html
    http://helpguide.sony.net/gbmig/C5651001/v1/eng/c_aadjust_scene.html
    edited 20 August 2017, 9:39AM
    My TV is a KD49XE8396 - it is this model that is having the issue of a softer picture with the BT Box.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 August 2017, 11:54AM
    Martin, the Picture Processing on these Sony sets can do this. Try tuning Off, or to Default, any such Settings you have made on the TV.

And look at the other picture modes on the set as well.

Are you watching live TV in Home Cinema mode? That would be quite unusual.

Here's the Sony Forum guide to the best picture settings, with reference to Android differences where relevant:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/how-t...
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 20 August 2017, 10:24AM
    Sounds like each Sony is different to the others - I found 'picture mode' but it only has 3 settings, 'standard', 'vivid', and 'custom'.
    I guess only someone with the same model as Martin can properly comment..
    edited 20 August 2017, 10:41AM
    Chris, you have a very well regarded smart Sony Bravia TV:-

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/kdl-46h...

but dating as it does from 2012, it precedes the Sony Android YouView sets by about three years.

All the Android sets bear a strong family resemblance to one another, but are very different from the sets that preceded them.p, as yours did,

However, according to this page:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/su...

you should have the following Picture Mode Settings:-

PICTURE MODE SETTINGS
    Vivid / Game-Standard / Game-Original / Graphics / Sports / Animation / Standard / Custom / Photo-Vivid / Photo-Standard / Photo-Original / Photo-Custom / Cinema1 / Cinema2

It may be that they can be context-dependent though, so you will not see all the modes in all circumstances, and some are for HDMI, some USB, some PC VGA, and so on.
  • speedyritespeedyrite Member Posts: 81
    edited 20 August 2017, 12:05PM
    Hi Martin.

Took delivery of the Sony Bravia KD55-XE9005 yesterday (also a 2017 model like yours, as denoted by the XE). As well as the Sony Community section about Android TV which Roy has mentioned earlier, I can also recommend searching for a review of your tv (or similar model) - a lot of the good websites will include suggested/calibrated settings. Also browsing through the Sony TVs board on avforums.com is useful for gathering ideas and suggestions about settings. Still fine tuning settings here, based on avforums review of the XE90, but so far very impressed with it. Whilst maybe not immediately solving your problem, hope the above is useful to you in the slightly longer run.
    edited 20 August 2017, 8:01PM
    Thank you all for your suggestions - I will have a go at them all.

I am watching live TV in cinema home mode, but this was following a suggestion made on another website - to be honest so far it seems a pretty good picture in that mode.

Nothing to date has corrected this odd softness on the bt box, but I am going to change the leads and go back to the drawing board on the settings. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.
    edited 21 August 2017, 8:15AM
    Haven't noticed any softness of the T2110 picture vs the TVs in-built "Digital" tuner.

It seems that on 2017 Sony Bravia Android TVs (unlike the old 2007 Sony Bravia it replaced) settings cannot be applied to all target inputs, but instead have to be applied separately to each input.

So it might be worth comparing all the settings for "Digital" with the corresponding settings for whichever HDMI input your T2100 is attached on, to make sure they are the same.

Or maybe, as you are intending to do a change of HDMI will make a difference!
    edited 21 August 2017, 3:48PM
    Speedyrite

The picture optimisation link I gave above says:-

Note: Be sure to only access the picture settings from the TV home screen by pressing the ‘Home’ button on your remote control. If you access from the ‘Options’ button, you will only be adjusting the settings for one source instead of the whole television. Also, make sure that the target inputs are set to ‘Common’.

Have you taken note of this, or have you noticed a change in your 2017 set, not just from ten years earlier, but since that above advice was given?
    edited 21 August 2017, 8:49AM
    Martin

Have you tried any other devices on that input? A Blu-ray player, with a recent Blu-ray disc, should be as sharp as anything you can view domestically, and it would be illuminating to know if that also looks soft, or not.
    edited 21 August 2017, 11:39AM
    Hi Roy. Yes, my Blu ray is spot on, it is only the youview box that is soft.
    edited 21 August 2017, 3:48PM
    Roy1 said:

Speedyrite

The picture optimisation link I gave above says:-

Note: Be sure to only access the picture settings from the TV home screen by pressing the ‘Home’ button on your remote control. If you access from the ‘Options’ button, you will only be adjusting the settings for one source instead of the whole television. Also, make sure that the target inputs are set to ‘Common’.

Have you taken note of this, or have you noticed a change in your 2017 set, not just from ten years earlier, but since that above advice was given?

Roy thanks for clarifying on this. No wonder I found that a bit confusing! There's no (longer?) an 'Options' button on the RC, but there is an 'Action menu' button on the RC, so I guess they renamed it but forgot to update the documentation. Still can't find anywhere to set target inputs to common, but by selecting the desired picture mode (e.g. cinema pro) on each input does apply all the relevant settings at a "global" level for that input (i.e. don't have to apply the individual settings for brightness etc on each input).
    edited 22 August 2017, 7:36AM
    Hi All, I purchased a different hdmi lead - and hey presto, the picture was much improved. Thanks for all of your help.... if only I'd tried a new lead in the first place.