Missing Teletext

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 9 September 2017, 10:23PM
    Visionman said:

Of course the work around to still get text on a YouView box is to switch to a radio channel and then press the red button. 

Roy it certainly used to work well on YouView as several posts on other sites attest.  I noticed it not working sometime last year but at the time it wasn't an issue as I thought they'd fix it and in the main room I used it it wasn't an issue as that had just got a FreeView TV

Then some months later I needed it to work in another room with an older TV and was annoyed it didn't work.  

Update: the older text service appears to have gone with update 26.40.  Over on the BT Forum this post was made on August 23rd 2016
    davidb00: Be careful what you wish for, the Red button+ may be quicker but you do loose  the text based red button service, which does give you a lot more information.
    (Here https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Software-release-version-H26-40-0/td-p/1647833/page/2)

There really are two issues here:  the way features are being removed from YouView without any consideration which does not bode well for the future

and the way if any challenge is made to YouView doing this any number of false stories and harassing posts are posted to defend the YouView position  
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 September 2017, 11:28PM
    Visionman said:

Of course the work around to still get text on a YouView box is to switch to a radio channel and then press the red button. 

Steve K
    Its gone. Get over it. Boo hoo. 
    So what course of action are you going to take, non-believer of facts?
    • You Hate YouView
    • You Hate Red Button Plus
    • You Hate MYTV
    • You Hate the Tiles
    • You Hate Nextgen
    • You, quite simply, Hate everything
    But instead of taking action and actually doing something about it, you choose instead to do nothing but take to social media to scream your Hatred, and call everyone who tells you facts lairs and defenders. Because of course, only you are right.
    You are the worst kind of troll, and that is one who tells very reasonable people they are wrong and that black is white and white is black, because you said so. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 9 September 2017, 11:46PM
    Visionman said:

No Visionman I'll tell you what I really hate.  People that post stuff like this
    Then go complain to the BBC. It is they that withdrew this BBC provided service.
    But you have already been told that multiple times on the BT Forum.
    When they should know it was not true and then when it is absolutely shown it is not true they go harassing posters instead of just admitting they were wrong or just being quiet

Anyone you recognise?

As for this forum it has been declared by YouView as THE place where they seek feedback.  Like it or not some of that feedback is not going to be praise and if posters seek to distort that feedback by countering with false stories then surely it is right that the issue is analysed until the truth is clear.

So I asked do you now accept that it was YouView and not the BBC that ended the Text service via YouView boxes?  Instead of a further personal attack on me can I ask please that you look at the picture posted earlier, the BBC web link I posted and just answer that question.

Because the evidence does seem rather overwhelming
    edited 10 September 2017, 12:16AM
    Visionman said:

Bye.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 10 September 2017, 6:38AM
    Visionman said:

I've come home after a fantastic day/night out to find my inbox full of links to this thread. Its been an amusing read. Steve is the only 'person' I know who can't hold a sensible conversation or read what has been laid out for him. My mates think he's hilarious and only winding us up as they are convinced no one could think the way he does. I implore you all to ignore him because surely another warning is on the way. I shall leave whoever wants to converse with him, but I think my mates have a point, he's only yanking our chains!!! I for one am fed up with this incessant drivel and petty hatred of life that this one person spews on the forums.
    edited 10 September 2017, 7:20AM
    Visionman said:

Not only on this one but others as well. All pure click bait.
    Me - Its Sunday today
    SK - No it isn't
    Me - No, it clearly is
    SK - No, it clearly isn't
    Me - You know it is
    SK - Stop calling me a liar when you can clearly see I'm stating facts.
    Big yawn...
    But as you say, ignore. Glad you had a great day Rob!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 September 2017, 8:19AM
    Visionman said:

I have a nasty feeling Steve K is sincere, actually - he does not fit the classic troll mode of someone like D J BILINGS and his other personas.

But he has the worst case of confirmation bias I have ever seen.

He thinks YouView did away with the classic Red Button service - and this is 'proved' for him by a user posting on the BT Forum remarking that the Red Button seems to have gone in 26.40.0.

I can show you example after example of this 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' fallacy (after, therefore because of) on the YouView forum.

So it still remains the case that no-one has yet proved who took the feature away.

However, here are two strong considerations:-

(i) As the earlier quoted FAQ describes, the BBC readily admit to making changes in this area;
    (ii) The feature reductions in YouView were a one-time thing that came with NextGen. This is slowly being built back up, and the only things now being removed from YouView are those provided by third parties, outside YouView's direct control.

I think these considerations strongly support the assertion that it was the BBC, not YouView, who withdrew the facility.

It would be very interesting to know where a press of the Text button while watching a TV channel gets eaten - in the YouView code, or does it make it out of the box to get eaten further down the chain?

I would speculate that it makes no difference to YouView whether you press Text on a TV channel or a radio channel, it still gets passed along, and it's just that whatever is detecting it and providing the Red Button stream accepts it for radio channels, and drops it on the floor for TV channels.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 10 September 2017, 9:01AM
    Visionman said:

The text is not a bidirectional communication Roy.  It is just universally broadcast by the BBC and a full Freeview receiver filters out of that what the viewer has selected

Sometime in 2016 YouView removed that ability from TV channels.  Fact

I would so like Visionman and Robert to explain the picture posted earlier.  It absolutely proves the BBC still support the service (as did their web page I posted).  

Why they have to get so abusive in their libellous allegations that the BBC and I are lying is rather unfortunate.
    edited 10 September 2017, 10:22AM
    Visionman said:

Nothing libellous I'm afraid! The answer to question number 4 states this: If your TV or Set Top Box supported the original Red Button service then you can continue to use this by pressing the ‘text’ button instead of ‘red’ on your remote control. Note that the original Red Button was not available on TiVo or YouView devices.

You see, if you read all the questions and answers, and didn't doubt the BBC's truth telling, you would see they never made the original Red Button service available to Youview boxes. That is why it is no longer possible to use the 'text' button to access old style teletext on a Youview box, the BBC don't supply this as they've replaced it with the new Red Button service for boxes that didn't use the old Connected Red Button service.

By the way, regarding that lovely picture you put up, I also have that on my Freesat box. That's because you can access both services on it as it DID support the old Style Connected Red Button. No-one ever denied it couldn't be accessed elsewhere, just not on a Tivo or Youview box, and the BBC have explaned the reason why they have not made it available on those platforms.

Now Steve, from now on I am NOT responding to any more of your obsessions, I prefer to speak with people who can see past their own agendas and who appreciate constructive banter and conversation. I have both praised and ridiculed Youview over varying issues, I've always done that with an open mind, and I've always respected others whose views may differ from mine, but only when those views are articulate and worthy of reconsideration. All you've done since you first popped up over on BT has been to ridicule, abuse, and generally act in a very immature way. I'm sorry to have to say that but it's true. I shall leave you to wallow in your own self pity and loathing of all things Youview related.

Good luck Steve and hope all works out for you in the end.
    edited 10 September 2017, 11:23AM
    Visionman said:

Robert:  "By the way, regarding that lovely picture you put up, I also have that on my Freesat box."

Can you really?  Because my Sat box doesn't bring up that 'Green button = full picture option' that BBC FreeView text offers (as shown in pic above)

So no I did not fake the pic.  And anyone with a Freeview TV can repeat the test, just press the Text button on a BBC channel and the BBC statement you yourself posted "not everyone has a connected TV and the standard Red Button service is still very much alive and kicking . . "  will be shown to be true

Weren't the BBC that discontinued Freeview Text on YouView

Like others I am tired of this thread.  It was originally a minor point but I do not see why the last post should ever be a false information laden attack on me.  

I have previously offered to take these type of discussions offline via [email protected] and the offer is still there
    edited 10 September 2017, 12:57PM
    Visionman said:

Show me where I said you faked the picture? Are you seeing things that don't exist now? It must be difficult for you to read anything without thinking you are being attacked or accused of something. I used to give you credit for having a little sense.

Steve: Can you really?  Because my Sat box doesn't bring up that 'Green button = full picture option' that BBC FreeView text offers (as shown in pic above).
    My Humax Freesat pvr BBC 'text' is identical to the one you show with the same menus etc. The Green Button is there and does the same thing. If you are using a Freesat box you should also be getting that menu as pictured, unless only Humax implement it, which I'd very much doubt.

Yes, you are now seeing we are all saying the same thing, the BBC do still make the standard Red Button service available to TVs/receivers etc not connected to the internet. Finally something you now agree on.

That is why the BBC didn't make it available on Youview as they never had it implemented there before.

Once again, you are seeing attacks where there are none, poor thing, there has been no false information, unless you are again disagreeing with the BBC stance on the issue, which is made plain on the above linked page.

No-one is going offline to discuss things that should be discussed openly in forum for all to see and digest. I'm pretty sure we all recently received the same communication re implementation of certain things (etc) when the last thread was removed. As I've said before I can't reproduce either publicly or privately other information sourced via trials teams as I will never break NDAs agreed with Youview and BT.  
    edited 10 September 2017, 2:26PM
    Visionman said:

Robert - Even though he'll come flying back with something, best to leave it now, Robert. 
    The previous thread was deleted and removed from the forum because of the complete misinformation contained in it. And this thread is going to look very different tomorrow. If indeed it remains at all....
    Best to let rest. 
    edited 10 September 2017, 1:49PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K, you don't need to go to all that bother to see the original Red Button.

Just go to any Radio channel on your YouView box, and there it will be when you press Text or the Red Button.

Neatly giving the lie to the BBC's claims that YouView never had Red Button; it did, and it still has it, on the radio channels at least.

So why, YouView, not on the TV channels also?

Is it still being transmitted on these?

Or has the BBC somehow spiked the YouView transmissions?

Or did the BBC request you stop the Text button from activating anything, and you agreed without demur?

I think we should be told.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 September 2017, 4:12PM
    Visionman said:

Roy, to refresh your memory:  https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-automatic-software-update-july-2016
    edited 10 September 2017, 10:20PM
    Darren2 said:

I use the BBC red button service at times on my Youview box. It's good that is also available on the BBC HD channels for I tend to watch the HD versions of the BBC channels.
    I did miss the old Teletext service to start with but I have got used to it no longer being there.

Darren

The BBC has changed the names of these services more often than I have changed my cars, but I believe the following is the case:-

We have Red Button, which is the current name for the stream of pure OTA service which started with Ceefax,

and

Red Button+, which is the name for the hybrid OTA and internet service that started with Connected Red Button.

We would do well to maintain the distinction when discussing these services.

Stve K may well be like a dog with a bone, but this bone has some meat on it; why are the BBC saying YouView never had Red Button, when it did, and still has it now, albeit only on Radio channels; and why has Red Button ceased on YouView TV channels, when no other platform that had Red Button has lost it, whether or not that platform can support Red Button+?
    edited 10 September 2017, 2:28PM
    Visionman said:

Hi Visionman. I intend to ignore the thread and Steve himself from here on in. A horse with blinkers on could see further!!!
    edited 10 September 2017, 2:40PM
    Darren2 said:

I use the BBC red button service at times on my Youview box. It's good that is also available on the BBC HD channels for I tend to watch the HD versions of the BBC channels.
    I did miss the old Teletext service to start with but I have got used to it no longer being there.

Darren

I think thats the problem. Auntie Beeb decided not to implement the original red button/text button functionality as they BELIEVED they didn't have it working before. As you suggest above, maybe Youview should have pursued/be pursuing the Beeb over this failure which lies firmly at Auntie's door. Youview have taken their eye off the ball but the BBC have made a howler also.

Roy, it's nice to be able to talk with folk who are intelligent and open-minded in their thinking. Unfortunately the number of people I trust or would even bother listening to/reading their posts on here is dropping as the forum is descending into chaos with some of the rubbish going on here of late.
    edited 10 September 2017, 10:01PM
    Darren2 said:

Darren

Re your first paragraph, Steve K avers that there's a stream comes OTA to your device, and pressing Text gives you the Red Button bit of it, and as the service is not in any way two-way or interactive, that makes sense to me.

Now, it's the same stream that reaches my TV as reaches my YouView box - indeed, exactly the same stream, as the TV is on the passthrough from the YouView box.

And it's a Smart TV, internet-capable and all.

But I tune both to 101, BBC1 HD,and, testing each in turn, I press the Text button.

The YouView box does nothing. The TV brings up the Red Button (not Red Button+) service.

Now I tune both to 701, BBC R1X, and repeat the exercise.
    Both now give me the Red Button service.

I have one last-ditch hypothesis to try here, though I am aware it's a bit Steve K in reverse in its monomania; that the Text button never worked for TV, but the red button used to give the Red Button service I recall I could get on the TV.

So when YouView repurposed the red button to give us Red Button+, we lost Red Button; arguably at that point, YouView should have enabled the Text button to give us Red Button, but they didn't.

However, since the Text button works on Radio channels, I would be surprised if it didn't previously work on TV channels.

Being open-minded sometimes brings you some strange things to be open-minded about :-)
    edited 11 September 2017, 7:22AM
    Redchiz>
    Roy, to refresh your memory:  
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-automatic-software-update-july-2016

Blast from the past! The waters are further mudded.... 
    I know that there were technical limitations on Original Gen that didn't play nice with MHEG, which back then all red button services used, and is still the case, as many Freeview IPTV channel services came to realise it was a dead end road (see VuTV as a case example) and so switched to HTML5 (of which Racing UK is the latest), thus making them compatible with a multitude of DTT devices.
    But NextGen? I haven't got a clue, as they haven't (to my knowledge) published a core technical specification of it, which is poor, because I want one. :)

MHEG and HTML5 don't mix nice, which means they don't and won't work together. So the BBCs statement that - 
    "Note that the original Red Button was not available on TiVo or YouView devices." is probably and ultimately true, so they provided a hybrid mirror version of it but then decided to withdraw it and fully switch to the Red Button+ Service.

All the above re the technicals, is true. All the rest is pure speculation on my part.
    But this is also true - the BBC replaced a 20th century Teletext service for a 21st century Red Button+.
    People hate change.
    edited 10 September 2017, 4:56PM
    Redchiz>
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-automatic-software-update-july-2016

I know that there were technical limitations on Original Gen that didn't play nice with MHEG, which back then all red button services used, and is still the case, as many Freeview IPTV channel services came to realise it was a dead end road (see VuTV as a case example) and so switched to HTML5 (of which Racing UK is the latest), thus making them compatible with a multitude of DTT devices.
    But NextGen? I haven't got a clue, as they haven't (to my knowledge) published a core technical specification of it, which is poor, because I want one. :)

MHEG and HTML5 don't mix nice, which means they don't and won't work together. So the BBCs statement that - 
    "Note that the original Red Button was not available on TiVo or YouView devices." is probably and ultimately true, so they provided a hybrid mirror version of it but then decided to withdraw it and fully switch to the Red Button+ Service.

All the above, apart from the technicals, is true. All the rest is pure speculation on my part.
    This is also true - the BBC replaced a 20th century Teletext service for a 21st century Red Button+.
    People hate chage.
    edited 11 September 2017, 1:00AM
    Visionman said:

Redchiz>

All the above re the technicals, is true. All the rest is pure speculation on my part.
    But this is also true - the BBC replaced a 20th century Teletext service for a 21st century Red Button+.
    People hate change.

Yes, I see we have been here before :-)

But the BBC haven't replaced Red Button; they have provided Red Button+ alongside it, and most of my devices perfectly well support both.

Only YouView have turned off Red Button in favour of Red Button+.

And I am still at a loss to see how this can be the BBC's fault, when YouView Radio BBC channels, and any BBC channels on my TV, can display Red Button content perfectly well from what is exactly the same broadcast stream.

People hate change for change's sake, and they hate the arbitrary and unnecessary withdrawal of services they previously enjoyed.

Change that brings new things, they generally welcome with open arms; change to fix things that were broken they accept.

But change to break things that previously worked, for no good reason? People would have to be crazy not to hate that.
    edited 11 September 2017, 7:24AM
    Roy>
    "Change that brings new things, they generally welcome with open arms."
    HaHaHa!
    A joke comment surely? This very forum is proof of that. And some also think its become a joke. Which if true, is a sad day indeed.
    But enough from me. I'll let you lead the light.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 September 2017, 8:40PM
    Visionman said:

Redchiz>

People hate change.

"the BBC replaced a 20th century Teletext service for a 21st century Red Button+."

The printed word is literally like, soh, old fashioned. :-)

According to Wikipedia, "The service was launched in September 1999 as BBC Text. It was relaunched in November 2001 under the BBCi brand and operated under this name until late 2008, when it was rebranded as BBC Red Button."

20th century?
    edited 10 September 2017, 8:59PM
    Visionman said:

Redchiz>

People hate change.

1999 is the 20th century, jonesh.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 September 2017, 10:07PM
    Visionman said:

Redchiz>

People hate change.

Really?

You are a mine of information Visionman. :-)
    edited 10 September 2017, 10:09PM
    Thanks for those posts today Roy
    edited 11 September 2017, 7:22AM
    Visionman said:

Redchiz>

People hate change.

A land mine of information :-)
    edited 11 September 2017, 7:24AM
    Visionman said:

Roy>
    "Change that brings new things, they generally welcome with open arms."
    HaHaHa!
    A joke comment surely? This very forum is proof of that. And some also think its become a joke. Which if true, is a sad day indeed.
    But enough from me. I'll let you lead the light.

New things. Those were replacement things. Different.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 11 September 2017, 1:05PM
    Hi Steve K,

To address your query, the Connected Red Button + service on YouView was implemented by the BBC for their HD channels on YouView. This service is delivered through an internet connection rather than the previous implementation through MHEG.

The original service could be launched through the Text button, however this was not part of BBC's original spec and implementation of the new service on the YouView box (this is something we have fed back to them before however).

Other devices including connected smart TVs also have the Connected Red Button + service, why this is not the case for certain Freeview devices is something that Freeview or BBC may be able to help with (however the service works on the basis the device is always connected).

This implementation has not extended to the BBC Radio Channels on the YouView guide, therefore they still have the older MHEG implementation at this time. The BBC has an FAQ for their Red Button + service you can find here, you might find this useful.

Thanks,

Phil
    edited 11 September 2017, 11:02AM
    Thank you for the clarification Phil. The link you put up is the same one I've posted earlier in the thread but unfortunately there are those amongst us who don't believe the BBC in those articles. Thank you for clearing this all up for everyone. It's much appreciated as ever.