Box takes several tries to turn on

When I turn my YouView on the blue light is on but screen is blank. I usually have to turn off then on 2-3 times before picture comes on. All my HDMI cables are securely in. Any ideas what is happening? This has just started happening this week. 

Comments

• Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 30 October 2017, 4:26PM
    Hi Lloyd, have you tried another HDMI cable with your YouView box, or an alternative port on your TV to check if this makes a difference at all?

We are aware of a bug with the latest software which means some TVs will not turn on with the YouView box (if this feature is supported). This is something we are working to fix in a future software however this might be why you have no picture when initially starting the box perhaps? If possible it's worth trying on a different TV and reporting back if the same issues occurs.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2017, 8:32PM
    When I turn my YouView on the blue light is on but screen is blank. I usually have to turn off then on 2-3 times before picture comes on. All my HDMI cables are securely in. Any ideas what is happening? This has just started happening this week. 
    To add to what Phil says above, you might want to start turning on your TV with its own remote, until this bug is fixed, rather than relying on the YouView box to do this, as it did before.

You may find, though, that you will also need to switch manually to the HDMI input that the YouView box uses, if the box cannot now do this for you either.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Thanks for the help. TV turns on okay and when I turn on the YouView box the lights are blue but nothing on screen. I have to turn on the yv box several time to get it to start. Plusnet have renewed my contract so I am getting another box so hopefully this should work. Sadly this will be my third box.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    Try a new cable Lloyd. and if you can a new port (on the TV).
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Visionman said:
    Try a new cable Lloyd. and if you can a new port (on the TV).
    I’ll give that a try. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2017, 1:09PM
    Thanks for the help. TV turns on okay and when I turn on the YouView box the lights are blue but nothing on screen. I have to turn on the yv box several time to get it to start. Plusnet have renewed my contract so I am getting another box so hopefully this should work. Sadly this will be my third box.
    That sounds as if perhaps the YouView box is turning on the TV, but not going to the correct HDMI input.

Next time it happens, use the Source button on the TV remote to see which HDMI input you are on, and if it is the correct one for the YouView box.

An issue in which the TV is on the correct HDMI input, but the YouView box shows no display, is quite different from the CEC problem, and would need a different sort of investigation.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • It was the HDMI cable. I’ve never had one malfunction before. On a positive side I have another yv box on standby. Thanks for everyone’s help.