General shortcomings of YouView BT box

ECS_1ECS_1 Member Posts: 6
I've just migrated to BT after 9 years with Sky, and am pretty shocked by how poor the Humax YouView box is, in comparison to the Sky+HD equivalent.

When making the decision to switch, there were many factors, but I confess one thing that didn't occur to me, was the disparate quality of the recording units.  But having just installed everything, I cannot believe how bad the Youview boxes are!

1) no Favourite channels!!?!? Do I really have to scroll forever through dozens of channels I will never watch? Is there no quick way, other than to memorize channel numbers.?  It becomes even more of a problem when ...

2) the response of the box to the remote is very slow/intermittent. Maybe only a 60-70% rate of response! It's as if pressing the button only works if the machine fancies responding. Is this normal?

3) Recordings don't seem to have the extra minute either side ... I like continuity and adverts! Surely there should be an option to record an extra minute or two either side? 

Other than that it's fine :)

Comments

• DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    Youview uses AR instead of padding. Unfortunately it relies on the broadcasters to send a start and stop signal with there broadcasts. Some broadcasters are fantastic in the implementation of this others don't even bother. Unfortunately the ones that don't even bother more often than not the end or beginning of a show is clipped off the recording. Anything you record of the CBS channels I advise you to record the next program because if a clipped recording happens the end of the previous program will be on the beginning of the next. Also if you record any movies on Sony movies record the movie news in the middle.

Padding has been requested for years but youview have not implemented it. I hope that more broadcasters implement AR in the future as we then won't have this. Don't get me wrong I do love my youview box but I would have liked padding as a option until more broadcasters implement AR at least.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    Having left SKY+HD many years ago, a few points here -
    Sky+HD is no longer available to new customers,. Only second hand units on third party sites are, with SKY Q now being the only option.
    1) No, there are no Favourite Channels on YouView, or ever will be. I don't know about Q.
    2) My 3 devices are like greased lightning. Which make, model and ISP do you have?
    3) SKY Q no longer offers padding either. It now also uses AR only.

The slowness of your box is a worry and shouldn't be happening, so a response to point 2 would be appreciated.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • ECS_1ECS_1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. I'm with BT. I actually have been sent two boxes, one for the other room which I've not set up yet. I tried swapping boxes/remotes, but they're both as bad as each other!

i have to press a button twice on average to get a response.
    Box DTR-T2100 Humax
    I've read somewhere that it might be radiation interference (?) from my TV Screen. Sure enough when I switch off my screen, press a single button on the Youview remote, and turn the TV back on, the remote seems to have respond every time.
    Thanks for the response. Do you have a Plasma TV?
    Yes. I've moved the receiver way back into the very back of the unit so I can barely see it. It now seems to respond much better. Still far from perfect but much better. 
    edited 1 November 2017, 2:09AM
    Nice one. You should be able (I hope) to find placements where the two don't interfere with one another at all. 
  • NewfyNewfy Member Posts: 55
    Bring the YV Box back into view .... fold & stand a small piece of card - a postage stamp 'folder' is ideal - in front of the I/R receiver on front right of the YV Box.

Other have used a small piece of black mesh - this de-sensitizes the receiver to the TV's inteference & allows it (somehow) to react correctly the the Remotes signals ...

Its well documented over on the BT Community site .....https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/bd-p/YouView

• I second what @Newfy posted above. It worked 100% for me when I had a plasma tv. I just stuck a small square of paper over the ir sensor (if you look at the front of the box face, on the right side, and shine a torch on it you will be able to see the sensor) and had no more issues with the remote.
    I'll try that, thanks.
  • aj1982aj1982 Member Posts: 5
    Glad I found this thread. You're not the only one! 
  • hoops1888hoops1888 Member Posts: 4
    i am paying the same money i paid to virgin , with virgin i had a tivo box and a hd box ,150mbps superfast internet which reached all over the house av had to spend 100£ on signal boosters for bt , all the premium channels plus all the sports and movie's , the remote was brilliant and the channels were all listed in groups ,  the back button worked like it does on every other tv remote ,but there is lots of other features that  came as standard in virgin equipment for yrs that this new bt equipment just does not have and we are paying a fortune for it .i moved house 3 month ago to a area virgin does not cover i wish they did as i think bt is rubbish ,have any of you had random bills or increases in your bill for no reason?  am looking into sky tv now
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    BT TV is no match for Virgin Media or Sky. If you want the content and features that you mentioned, then those are the ones to go for. Some members of this forum have stated that they have Sky TV.

We use our YouView box without subscription as a standalone PVR with catch-up TV. It does the job and we are happy with it.

If you want to moan about BT TV, their Community Forum is here: https://community.bt.com/
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭
    hoops1888 said:
    i am paying the same money i paid to virgin , with virgin i had a tivo box and a hd box ,150mbps superfast internet which reached all over the house av had to spend 100£ on signal boosters for bt , all the premium channels plus all the sports and movie's , the remote was brilliant and the channels were all listed in groups ,  the back button worked like it does on every other tv remote ,but there is lots of other features that  came as standard in virgin equipment for yrs that this new bt equipment just does not have and we are paying a fortune for it .i moved house 3 month ago to a area virgin does not cover i wish they did as i think bt is rubbish ,have any of you had random bills or increases in your bill for no reason?  am looking into sky tv now

Hiya @hoops1888

YouView just provide some of the software that goes on the branded BT YouView boxes that BT provide with their BT TV service. And certainly have nothing to do with the broadband service that BT provide, or how they charge for it.

This is even assuming that you have a BT YouView box, which you don’t actually say you do.

But posting here won’t help with the issues you describe, alas, and you will be better off posting here instead, where you will get the audience, and the reception, more in tune with your BT, rather than YouView, problems.

Though if you do have a YouView box, and you have any issues with it that YouView, rather than BT, can deal with, do feel free to post those here.

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris