Problem with youview APP. sending recordings to youview box.

MATTHEWMATTHEW Member Posts: 207
Hello,
I am having the following problems with the youview APP sending recordings to my youview box, the problem is that some of the recordings don't get recorded, but when check schedule the recording is still listed but say yesterday or a date that has pass, other recordings that are scheduled to be recorded get recorded, the main channel I get this problem with is movies24, but this problem can happen on any channel, internet or Freeview channel,
I have remove the youview App from I iPad and iPhone and have re-download  the youview App but still get the problem,
This problem does not happen all the time, 
Any help with this problem would be great.

Thanks 

Matthew

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭
    @MATTHEW

’Scheduled’ is part of My TV on the App.

Do you really mean Scheduled, or do you mean Booked?

The usual reason App requests fail is that they are made too late for the process of sending the request to the box to have time to run. How far in advance are you sending the failed requests?

Or if you are allowing plenty of time, then with the ones that fail, is there any indication that the recording request was sent to the box, and that it was acknowledged by the box?

Anything at all on the box for these?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,761 admin
    Hi @MATTHEW

I've had a chat with our team and they've requested that you answer the below questions: 

Which iOS YouView app version.
    Information for one or more of the affected programmes (programme name, channel etc).
    When the affected programmes were booked - time/date 
    Screenshot of the programmes that are affected:
    • In 'Bookings'
    • In 'MyTV -> Recordings' (if present there)
    • In 'MyTV -> Scheduled' (if present there)

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • MATTHEWMATTHEW Member Posts: 207
    Hi Sarah,
    The iOS version I am using is 11.0.03, sorry I cannot answer the last 3 questions because I have deleted the Scheduled recordings, after I phoned youview and they told me that the box was having a funny 5 mins. This problem has only happened twice, and so far the problem has not happened again, Also sometimes I scheduled a recording and the youview box will only record 49 mins of programme, and the programme is 2 hours long, this problem does not happen all the time, when this problem does happen I get no warning, I use the youview app to set all my recordings, and recordings get sent to the box, I do find that the more recordings I scheduled in the youview app it seems that the youview app cannot cope, with it.
    Hope this help Sarah 

Thanks
    Matthew
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,761 admin
    Hi Matthew,

Thanks for this information. 

It's a bit strange that it only recorded 49 mins of a 2 hour show, can you let me know which show/channel this was? Do you know if there were other recordings scheduled at the same time? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

I cannot remember the channel this problem happened on, because I deleted the recording, and as far as I can remember there were no other scheduled recordings, I have had this problem on other youview box from BT, when this problem first started I phone youview and they told me that the problem was down to the data been sent to the box, this problem does not happen all the time, the youview box can go for weeks and months then without any warning the problem just happens. 

Hope this help Sarah. 

Thanks

Matthew

• dave3dave3 Member Posts: 186

Sarah said:
    Hi Matthew,

Thanks for this information. 

It's a bit strange that it only recorded 49 mins of a 2 hour show, can you let me know which show/channel this was? Do you know if there were other recordings scheduled at the same time? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    @ Sarah my understanding is that a power blip / outage will cause active recording to truncate, but I'm not sure if a power surge would also do the same. Please can this be clarified?

The truncated recording is marked as follows:-
           MyTV recordings on the box - the red R symbol has a very small bit of red missing 
           whereas MyTV recordings on the App states "paritially recorded"

@Keith - new requirement - If a recording is truncated then the MyTV recordings on the box should have the same message as the App - "partially recorded"   

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭
    dave3 said:

The truncated recording is marked as follows:-
           MyTV recordings on the box - the red R symbol has a very small bit of red missing 
           whereas MyTV recordings on the App states "paritially recorded"

@Keith - new requirement - If a recording is truncated then the MyTV recordings on the box should have the same message as the App - "partially recorded"   
    @dave3 - I've added a further note against item 13 which is about suitably informative recording status/error info.
    Hi 
    thank you, when this problem happens I do get the following the red R symbol has a very small bit of red missing. also the same then I have recorded a programme and the programme is been shown again. but this happens on the guide.

hope this help you.

Thanks

matthew 

I had an idea, which I was trying to investigate, whereby the Youview box goes into three states:- Normal mode of Operation, Standby, Semi-dormant (I’ve made that label up)

If you power cycle your box, then press green on control unit, it starts running the  waking up process  - The gap between power on and before going into waking up process is what I mean as the semi-dormant mode.

Last Saturday I managed to get  my box into a semi-dormant mode by powering it off, waiting, power it  back on, but not pressing the green button on the control unit – a couple of hours later the box seemed to be woken up by  an existing recording request – I deliberately left it to see if that would happen

During the couple of hours  - I tried creating bookings from the App for programmes that would occur in the semi-dormant slot and for programmes that occurred after the box had been woken – The bookings for the semi-dormant slot didn’t result in any recordings on the box, but they weren’t marked as failed, whereas the bookings for programmes after the box had been woken worked as expected

On Monday I tried to recreate this but failed  – might have been too quick - power off / on cycle and unfortunately got my app bookings page in a bit of a mess. I did a reload of app and MM4 on box – that’s given me bogus entries – “failed recordings” for items in the future.     

Since then I’ve spotted this posting by @Keith who might be able to clarify the different modes of the box  

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/6251537/top-tip-soft-reset-reboot-power-cycling-maintenance-mode-and-factory-reset#latest

But if you’re getting truncated recording the first thing to eliminate is power supply issues , use a different socket – tell domestic management / cleaner not to touch - etc

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 November 2017, 9:18PM
    Hi @dave3 - I would say at the simplest level the YouView box operates in two/three power states, namely the two parts of the smart standby setting:

• Deep sleep - user configurable time window, but a reasonably sensible period to set would be when you are typically asleep since at that time you neither require fast startup from standby or expect to send the box recording requests via the mobile app
    • Not deep sleep (and in use for viewing or a recording) - the box is fully on
    • Not deep sleep (and the box is in standby) - a slightly lower power state but with the majority of functionality ready such that it can come out of standby to a usable state within a small number of seconds

When YouView first launched this flexible smart standby did not exist and the options were just low and high eco modes (for which there were requests to improve them and the startup time from them as captured in this old topic). The high eco mode broadly corresponded to the deep sleep above, and the low eco mode corresponded to the not deep sleep mode.

When the box is in deep sleep it is using almost no power but is running a simple clock/timer. It is that clock, combined with the scheduled recordings start times, which triggers the box to come out of deep sleep approximately 15 minutes before a recording is due to start even in the deep sleep period. In this way, unless a recording shifts significantly, the box still manages to record accurately even for recordings already scheduled in the deep sleep period.

When the box is in deep sleep (and has not temporarily exited that state for a recording to take place within that deep sleep window) then the box is not able to receive/collect scheduled recording settings created from the YouView app. However, such recordings scheduled via the app do not go straight to the box, they are queued on a YouView server in the cloud.

When the box is not in deep sleep, then whether it is in standby or fully on, it is periodically (every 15 minutes?) checking the YouView server in the cloud for any new scheduled recordings that have been set for this box but have only so far got to the server.

As such provided the box comes out of the deep sleep period at least 15 minutes before the recording is due to start, then the recording setting will make it to the box in time and then the box should operate as normal and make the recording (regardless of whether it is fully on or just in not-deep-sleep standby).

@Keith thanks for the comprehensive description of the different power states.

@Matthew what are your Deep Sleep & Standby settings? 

BTW in my example of the truncated recording; -  “Partially recorded” is stated in the bottom right hand side of the info display.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply, the next problem with the youview app is that all the recordings that I have set are showing failed recording but the problem is that the recordings are set for dates that we have not got to yet.
    Any help would be great.

Thanks

matthew

@Matthew   -  unfortunately Doctor Who has also  visited you.  Whilst trying to recreate your first problem the Doc visited me  – please see details in this posting   MM4 has given bogus Results

Hello,
    I am happy to tell you that the problems are now fixed.

THanks
    Matthew