[Issue] High air pressure affecting TV & Radio signals in some parts of the UK

SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,779 admin
Hi everyone,

High air pressure has been affecting TV and radio signals for some viewers in England and Wales since the 31st October. 

If you've done a re-tune since the 31st October and are experiencing this issue, we suggest that you do another re-tune once the high pressure has passed. 

It looks like the high pressure should clear up later on today however we'll update once we have confirmation of this. 

For more information, check out Freeview's article here

Sarah

Comments

• robin0800robin0800 Member Posts: 64
    The freeview link says it started yesterday and I did see this but the signal strength still seemed to be ok but the signal quality was very poor. Is signal quality independent  of signal strength?
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I've noticed the signal can be the same as normal but the noise can get increased - I guess it depends where it comes from. My "noise" is another transmitter which is much stronger than usual.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,779 admin
    Hi everyone.

We've had reports through that the high pressure system should have now passed so this issue is resolved for now. British weather can be unpredictable at times so this may occur again however we'll try and keep you posted when it does happen a bit quicker. As it's gone, users doing re-tunes should not experience any issues in doing so. 

This link provides a more detailed explanation plus a few interesting links as well! 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 November 2017, 10:27AM
    Brian’s 2014 link says:-

“The digital television signal uses a format called COFDM (coded orthogonal frequency division multiplexing) and this incorporates the ability to ignore reflected digital signals.”

So I remain in the dark, now all analogue transmitters are gone, as to what aspect of high atmospheric pressure could be affecting our digital YouView boxes  :/
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I don't think Brian is the best person to quote. 
    COFDM has the ability to ignore the signal's own reflections within the guard interval but not other, strong, reflections outside it.
  • robin0800robin0800 Member Posts: 64
    As far as I know there are no transmitters in the direction of my aerial. More worrying is that in the BT book that came with the box they site weather conditions but they say low pressure
    is the problem. 
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    robin0800 said:
    As far as I know there are no transmitters in the direction of my aerial. More worrying is that in the BT book that came with the box they site weather conditions but they say low pressure
    is the problem. 
    Hi robin0800, the high pressure should have subsided over the weekend so if this is the cause of your signal quality issues a re-tune now should resolve any problems.