[Discussion] BT software update 29.27.0

Comments

• dreamtimedreamtime Member Posts: 205
    Seems like they have one man and his dog working on this and that the dog has gone to sleep, or perhaps it is the man that has gone to sleep.
  • NewfyNewfy Member Posts: 55
    seemingly both ....
  • @Keith @dreamtime @Steve K

NDAs can cause much frustration at times but must be adhered to. They are there for a reason. I know not everyone wants to wait for things to return, and I most definitely understand peoples' frustrations, but I would ask those same people, who maybe don't understand the intricacies involved, to have a little patience and wait and see what happens next.

As you say @Keith, there are other options out there for people who have lost faith in the product, that is the beauty of all these tv platforms, choice, and plenty of it.
    edited 6 November 2017, 6:47PM
    !!!!! The little patience was exhausted 6 months ago and we are still waiting for any tangible evidence that anybody is doing anything!!!!
    Robert said:
    @Keith @dreamtime @Steve K

NDAs can cause much frustration at times but must be adhered to. They are there for a reason. I know not everyone wants to wait for things to return, and I most definitely understand peoples' frustrations, but I would ask those same people, who maybe don't understand the intricacies involved, to have a little patience and wait and see what happens next.

As you say @Keith, there are other options out there for people who have lost faith in the product, that is the beauty of all these tv platforms, choice, and plenty of it.
    @Robert and the reason is to hide behind??
  • That would be silly wouldn't it and far from its purpose, but I'm sure you would know that (don't you)?!?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭
    @dreamtime
    From your previous posts you work in a tech industry that most likely uses NDAs, so you know what they are for and why they are there.
    I understand your frustrated, as are many others (including me) but in my personal opinion, I get the impression they were waiting for the roll out to be completed, which it now has.
    So lets hope the roll outs now are accelerated. :) 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    @Visionman I also know if I allowed my people to take this long to roll out fixes then I wouldn't get my bonus that year.
    I fail to see your point.
    edited 6 November 2017, 9:37PM
    Anybody remember this being announced in 2016:- 'using the cloud would enable YouView to implement new ideas, new features and respond to bugs in days and weeks instead of the months and years it took previously'. Where did that intention go so badly wrong?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭
    Steve K said:
    Roy said:
    Steve K said:
    Visionman said:
     . . And why do you state that YouView have no idea what they are doing?
    Well the alternative is they deliberately degraded so many user boxes and decided not to implement any prompt rectification, so it does seem the lesser of two evils conclusion
    I think the first alternative, or more accurately the true variant of it not seen through the habitual distorting lens of your take on things, is more applicable here.
    Well what is this supposed 'true variant' of it?
    Well, I can’t tell you, of course, bound as I am by an NDA.

But I can see how the truth could get distorted into what you wrote; though that does not necessarily mean that if you could take the beam out of your eye, you would correctly identify the mote in YouView’s.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    What is the point of people who can't say anything (bound by an NDA) commenting on here?

dreamtime said:
    !!!!! The little patience was exhausted 6 months ago and we are still waiting for any tangible evidence that anybody is doing anything!!!!
    I’m still waiting for any tangible evidence that you can support or justify your earlier trolling assertions. None so far.

Why don’t you go and build something, instead of just trying to tear down something that other people are trying to build?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

Robert said:
    That would be silly wouldn't it and far from its purpose, but I'm sure you would know that (don't you)?!?
    Of course he does; instead of rolling something out, as YouView are trying to do, he’s just trolling something out.
    edited 6 November 2017, 10:01PM

dreamtime said:
    @Visionman I also know if I allowed my people to take this long to roll out fixes then I wouldn't get my bonus that year.
    Nice to know what drives your management style, then. Or would do, if you were really allowed to be in charge of other people  :p
    edited 6 November 2017, 10:01PM
    @Roy I guess you don't like other people to comment, at least I am not bound by an NDA on this, so I can say things that you can't.

dreamtime said:
    What is the point of people who can't say anything (bound by an NDA) commenting on here?
    You answer the questions I have asked you, and I will (easily) answer this one for you.

But I asked first.....
    @Roy Actually I gave you information a long time ago about programmes being cut off on recordings (in fact a weekends worth of info) which you never fed back what you did with the info provided. I suppose you did nothing. People in glass houses spring to mind.

dreamtime said:
    Anybody remember this being announced in 2016:- 'using the cloud would enable YouView to implement new ideas, new features and respond to bugs in days and weeks instead of the months and years it took previously'. Where did that intention go so badly wrong?
    The quote I have, from the YouView press release, is:-

‘Our move to the Cloud gives us the opportunity to make large scale changes, add functionality and enhance features in days or weeks, rather than the months or years it can take for other traditional TV platforms to do the same.’

Where did you get your subtly different quote, or is it just something you misremembered, the better to suit your own agenda?

dreamtime said:
    @Roy I guess you don't like other people to comment, at least I am not bound by an NDA on this, so I can say things that you can't.
    This is odd. You say you work in software, but you don’t seem to understand how NDAs work?

I can say anything you can say; the only things I can’t say are those divulged to me as privileged information, and not otherwise in the public sphere. And you can’t say those because you don’t know them.
    edited 6 November 2017, 10:52PM
    dreamtime, I don't understand your comments.
    You say you work in the software industry, but claim you don't know what an NDA is? That is, I'm sorry, hard to believe. Completely?  
    edited 6 November 2017, 10:56PM
    dreamtime said:
    @Roy Actually I gave you information a long time ago about programmes being cut off on recordings (in fact a weekends worth of info) which you never fed back what you did with the info provided. I suppose you did nothing. People in glass houses spring to mind.
    You did indeed, though you were William then, and I see that you volunteered to provide all that info; though if you thought that I could do anything with it, then you were sadly misinformed.

But it should have been valuable to YouView, who could have looked to see why Freeview EITs were cutting off when Freesat ones weren’t.

You should perhaps direct your ire that nothing was apparently done with the information you so painstakingly (or should that be panestakingly, as in glass houses?) collected at them, rather than at me  :|
    edited 6 November 2017, 11:02PM
    So, the answer is nothing as I thought. I am still William by the way.
    No user should have a go at another for their ire. As we are all just users.
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    Keith said: . . .If we as users/customers are not happy though we can all vote with our feet/wallet/contracts and go elsewhere accordingly at a time that suits us :)
    That's to miss the point.  Users' machines were degraded (ie damaged) by either wilful or negligent action by YouView that they have been extremely remiss in rectifying while apparently focusing instead on gaining awards for the innovative way this damage was done.  To just in effect say "well throw it away then" just makes it worse.  
    edited 7 November 2017, 12:58AM
    Steve K said:
    Keith said: . . .If we as users/customers are not happy though we can all vote with our feet/wallet/contracts and go elsewhere accordingly at a time that suits us :)
    That's to miss the point.  Users' machines were degraded (ie damaged) by either wilful or negligent action by YouView that they have been extremely remiss in rectifying while apparently focusing instead on gaining awards for the innovative way this damage was done.  To just in effect say "well throw it away then" just makes it worse.  
    No, I completely disagree with everything you're saying. See previous posts on this thread for pointers.  
  • Well my box for one wasn't 'damaged'. It still functions as a pvr and a catch up/apps player. Granted there are some things we'd all like to see being reintroduced (and will be when the time is right) but my box still works and I wouldn't change it just because there are a few niggles to be sorted. The amount of bickering, and dare I say whingeing, from some people makes me envious that your lives are so much more perfect than mine that all you can find time to hammer on about is the performance of a bleedin' set top box.
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    Does it have jump to play point functionality?  No, but it did before this fiasco that is the result of either incompetence or a wilful decision.  We're getting to 8 months now and that and other key to user functions are neither fixed nor being promised to being fixed.  And some here say that's just fine,  I can only guess because they enjoy the journey.  Well it's at our expense.

Give us back the Old Gen build and let the trialists play with New Gen until it is fit for purpose.   That's a fair deal.  Suggesting the equivalent of "oh look your equipment doesn't do what it used to, if you don't like it you could always scrap it" is not a constructive way forward

Perhaps not. But it is true.
    dreamtime said:
    So, the answer is nothing as I thought. I am still William by the way.
    But it does not say William on the tin, even if it has William in the tin  :p