1 day to go

jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭
edited 22 November 2017, 10:25AM in Discussion

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
    Go on, I'll bite ...
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 835 ✭✭
    Jimb what is happening in 10 days? I'm very intrigued? John
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 November 2017, 8:07PM
    I think  this is a Justification Thread. Now watch me get egg on my face. :(
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Visionman said:
    I think  this is a Justification Thread.
    Left, centred, right ....?

I don't know what that means, sorry.
    You have never used a word processor then? Ah, as I suspected, you have a secretary to take care of such trivial matters.  ;)

edited 13 November 2017, 8:13PM
    And BTW I have no other idea what a "Justification Thread" is, sorry.  :/
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 November 2017, 12:49PM
    I think he means 9 days until the anniversary of the public unleashing of NextGen on a decidedly unwaiting, and completely unsuspecting, world.

Followed up, perhaps, by an even-handed, but slightly regretful, summarisation of the progress made in the intervening year, and how we had perhaps hoped for more.

Or perhaps something more inflammatory  >:)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:

Followed up, perhaps, by an even-handed, but slightly regretful, summarisation of the progress made in the intervening year, and how we had perhaps hoped for more.

Regretful indeed. 
    edited 13 November 2017, 8:42PM
    Hi Chiz
    A Justification Thread is one where a user has one of two reasons for posting -
    1. They have decided to leave a platform and wish/need to declare it to all. Or -
    2. They have an angst that they need to publicly get off their chest. Which is
        surely the very definition of an internet forum.
    Visionman said:
    Hi Chiz
    1. They have decided to leave a platform and wish/need to declare it to all. Or -
    Ah right, you mean someone who has an ego such as requires a valediction, rather than just not posting any more?
    edited 14 November 2017, 12:12AM
    Well, Number 1 is a personal validation. Number 2 is really the whole point of internet fora. Which is to post problems and get help, of which this forum is excellent at. Which is to say the members of this forum are excellent at. 10/10
    edited 14 November 2017, 7:45AM
    Visionman said:
    Hi Chiz
    Wouldn’t type 2 make every thread a justification thread then? :confused:
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it's the end-of-contract date and @jimb is excited to be either leaving or renewing. 
    9 days...

"Our move to the Cloud gives us the opportunity to make large scale changes, add functionality and enhance features in days or weeks..."

I wonder if YouView now regret saying that.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    "Our move to the Cloud gives us the opportunity to make large scale changes, add functionality and enhance features in days or weeks..."
    I wonder which cloud they moved to. ;)
    jonesh said:
    Somewhere that is giving us the vapours  :p
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 856 ✭✭✭
    jonesh said:
    They're "on cloud nine" I think.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • John C1John C1 Member Posts: 33
    jimb said:
    9 days...

I wonder if YouView now regret saying that.
    I don't know what the update speed was like back in old gen but it seems so slow/glacial to me on new gen. My retail DTR-T2110 got the 28.26.0 update on the 10th of August, over three months later and I'm waiting for the hide channels update of 29.27.0 to start rolling out. I'm sure some of that is BT but one would have hoped for faster progress, at this rate it is going to take years to even get back to the feature set that old gen had and we took for granted.

I just wanted to add my disappointment.
  • dave3dave3 Member Posts: 186

The key word is “opportunity” – and perhaps the opportunity has been created – but it’s just one piece of the jigsaw.

Given the length of time a roll out takes, some component(s) of the distribution infrastructure isn't up to the job; pipes, servers etc

Perhaps Youview would like to comment on where the bottle neck is and their plans to alleviate the problem(s)? 

John C1 said:

I don't know what the update speed was like back in old gen but it seems so slow/glacial to me on new gen... 
    ...at this rate it is going to take years to even get back to the feature set that old gen had and we took for granted.

In the early days of old gen there were significant updates roughly ever two months.
    (Not including those that were purely maintenance/bug fixes, or those that were for alternative versions i.e. the TalkTalk or BT version of a retail software update.)
    One day to go.
    I wonder if YouView will have an anniversary surprise for us tomorrow.
  • NewfyNewfy Member Posts: 55
    Finger-Tapping emoticon .....
    edited 23 November 2017, 9:45AM
    Newfy said:

• NewfyNewfy Member Posts: 55
    Roy said:
    Newfy said:

Assegai !
    Newfy said:
    Roy said:
    Newfy said:

Assegai !
    And assegai what threw it.....