ITV player is not working correctly- blank programmes

124»

Comments

• Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,000Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

We believe the issue some have had with programmes not playing back on the ITV player is now fixed. Programmes should correctly play following the adverts without any problems.

If anyone experiences playback issues on the ITV player please let us know the programme, episode number and a description of the problem and we will investigate this further with ITV.

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks for your feedback jonesh, I'm glad you've seen an improvement with ITV programme playback. Certainly if you notice anything not behaving as it should then let us know and we'll feed it back to them.

Phil
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,114Member ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:03PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

We believe the issue some have had with programmes not playing back on the ITV player is now fixed. Programmes should correctly play following the adverts without any problems.

If anyone experiences playback issues on the ITV player please let us know the programme, episode number and a description of the problem and we will investigate this further with ITV.

Thanks,

Phil

Will do Phil.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 258Member
    edited 23 September 2015, 11:18AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks,

Phil

itvPlayer has recently still been a painful and ultimately entirely useless experience for me, albeit only one programme was attempted: Tipping Point, Friday 18/09/2015 @ 16:00 on ITV.

It is a mish-mash of adverts and silent black screen and eventually maybe about 30 seconds of the start of the programme, before it abruptly finishes and kindly presents me with the option to "Watch again". Repeat to fade...

Has the forthcoming ITV Hub deflected attention and efforts away from any possible improvements to the current service, perhaps?
  • Col CopCol Cop Posts: 1Member
    edited 11 January 2016, 9:38PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi user1028103, I'm sorry you have this problem and appreciate you are frustrated but we are trying to narrow down where the issue may be. You mention you have no issue with any of the other players just ITV. We have tried the player through our BT vision connection here and not encountered the issue which suggests its not your connection.

When loading up the ITV Player how far into the starting of the player does it freeze, are you able to see any of the adverts at all? Does the player reach any programme or the main screen before going blank? Also this YouView screen that appears which you refer to, is it the YouView App box that is on the On Demand page by the other players.

If possible would you be able to post a video or picture for us to see what happens. When you reboot is it the Soft Reboot by holding the power button for 8 seconds on the front, and if so for how long does this work before you have to do it again?

Thanks,

Phil

I get the adverts but then an error message..(50070)
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:57PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi user1028103, I'm sorry you have this problem and appreciate you are frustrated but we are trying to narrow down where the issue may be. You mention you have no issue with any of the other players just ITV. We have tried the player through our BT vision connection here and not encountered the issue which suggests its not your connection.

When loading up the ITV Player how far into the starting of the player does it freeze, are you able to see any of the adverts at all? Does the player reach any programme or the main screen before going blank? Also this YouView screen that appears which you refer to, is it the YouView App box that is on the On Demand page by the other players.

If possible would you be able to post a video or picture for us to see what happens. When you reboot is it the Soft Reboot by holding the power button for 8 seconds on the front, and if so for how long does this work before you have to do it again?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Col Cop,

Do you know what the error says exactly? and what programme were you watching?

Was this on a YouView box, or iPad or something else?
  • colcopcolcop Posts: 1Member
    edited 12 January 2016, 4:46PM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Sanj, I was using my Humax YouView box and was trying to watch the latest edition of Endeavour. Using advice found on this page, I reset the box - did not help. Rebooted twice, no avail. On the third reboot, I left it for 30 minutes and then all seemed OK....
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks for letting us know Col Cop. Glad that is resolved for you now.
  • Patricia MorrisPatricia Morris Posts: 1Member
    edited 8 September 2016, 5:52PM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks for the extra information here, I will keep tabs on this and wait for the video to see what you are getting so we can investigate further.

Phil

We have also been having Problems with ITV Player , Black Screen is all we get , also can't can't go Back on ITV channel List is There but then just Blank Screen . Going to try all of above .Will let you Know what Happens 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,331Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks for the extra information here, I will keep tabs on this and wait for the video to see what you are getting so we can investigate further.

Phil

Hi Patricia

You do need to have tuned I your channels, so that ITV know which region you are. People who try to use the YouView box as an Internet only device often fall foul of this.

Have you got an aerial connection, and have tuned in your channels?

It also depends where you are in the UK, as many ITV channels won't appear, and you need the STV player to get these, in Scotland.

So where (not too specifically, mind, so we can't come and burgle you) are you based?

And are you connected by HDMI, or just SCART, to your TV?

But yes, try all the remedies above, and if it starts to work, excellent.

Otherwise, please come back with answers to the question I pose, and we will go from there.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,005Member
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

I've noticed since the last update ITV player gives me a "fake" black screen crash. Its just REALLY slow now. When I launch a programme the adverts play and then the screen goes black, I have to wait, sometimes up to 30 seconds for the programme to play. I have 100Mb FTTH.
  • Annabelle AtwillAnnabelle Atwill Posts: 1Member
    edited 14 January 2017, 8:10PM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

I have a youveiw box with itv player on and it let's me watch the first fifteen minutes of an episode of say coronation Street the goes to advert and stops completely.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,114Member ✭✭
    edited 14 January 2017, 9:37PM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

In my experience ITV Player, or ITV Hub as it is now called, is a complete waste of time. It repeatedly stalls and sometimes shows double sets of adverts.

We have given up using it, preferring to record shows that we want to watch. Recording also has the advantage of being able to skip the adverts.
    edited 14 January 2017, 11:26PM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

Annabelle, have you tried the various resets available, to see if these help?

I've been watching the itv hub on three devices lately - my YouView box, an Amazon Firestick and a Samsung Smart TV, and it has played fine on all of them, except for the unrelated squashyvision issue I was investigating on the Samsung version.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • albumman1albumman1 Posts: 1Member
    I have a similar problem. ITV player starts OK and we can watch the first half of a program. Then come the adverts always followed by a series of coloured dots to indicate streaming then a sign "Oops" with a "Wait" or 'Retry from here" option. Very rarely does the program continue. Usually we end up relaunching the part watched program on ITV player, we have to watch the adverts again and then the same again.
    Very occasionally the program will continue after relaunch, but usually we end up with a half watched program unable to proceed any further.

Could this be a ploy by ITV player to force extra ads on us?

Either that or ITV player jumps any adverts (prefered, but unpredictable).
    But this always happens when the ads come on.

We have unlimited fibre with Plusnet. We have an own label "Humax" box.
    I have an aerial that is set to the correct region. BBC iPlayer, and all others work fine. I never get streaming problems on any other device.
    @albumman1 What is the model number of your Humax box?

If it does not say ‘YouView’ on it, then you will not be running the same version of the itv Hub.
124»