I've just left BT..

Evening all

I was out of contract and have just signed up to Vodafone's fibre broadband deal. I have two BT YouView+ Plus Box Humax DTR-T2100 / 500Gb boxes that I was planning to carry on using.

When I called BT to cancel their services I was told that when they cease providing my internet and TV they would remotely freeze my hard drives so I won't be able to watch any of my existing recordings or record any more programmes. Also they said my apps won't work any more and catch up won't work either. Is this true? Must admit the guy I spoke to in their cancellation department was laying it on pretty thick to try to get me to stay..

Thanks!

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,878Member ✭✭
    I know 100% for a fact you have been given incorrect information. All you will lose is access to the bt player, the bt pay internet channels and all recordings from the internet channels. All other players work as before no matter what internet provider you use. The freeview channels and any recordings from freeview channels are unaffected and work. You will still be able to record from freeview channels.
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Posts: 4Member
    Thanks Daniel, I did a bit of research prior to making my decision and thought that was the case. Really I am not impressed with BT for telling me they would freeze my hard drive in an attempt to get me to stay, I have half a mind to make a complaint.
    That would be for you to decide. Whether or not others may say something similar to try to encourage you to stay is another matter. What I can tell you I have a BT DTR t 4000 youview but on a Vodafone line with no issues at all. Others have been given similar information in the past and it's really disappointing that it's still happening. Can you pass this on to bt @Sarah
    Indeed. I even challenged him on it and he insisted that what he had said would happen. And they do supposedly record all these conversations..

Anyway I'm just happy that I'm going to get most of the functionality for a lot less money :)
    What I would say once your switch goes though come back to this thread and we can tell you how to get the retail skins on your boxes it's a lot more neater than the bt skin and you lose all the bt logos in the guide etc as well as the pay channels you can't access. It's straight forward.
    Thanks Daniel, I will do 👍
  • SarahSarah Posts: 931Administrator admin
    Hi @uksaint7

I've dropped you an email regarding this, it'd be great if you can respond when possible so we can look into this :)

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • alal Posts: 1,285Member ✭✭
    If you've only used the BT app before I think you will be very pleased with the standard Youview app. To me they are complete opposites in regard to usability.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 931Administrator admin
    Hi all, 

I think this has been posted in the past however I think it's good to post again for users who land on this thread when browsing the forum or doing a search. 

This is the official statement from BT regarding the status of your box should you decide to leave BT. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Sarah said:
    Hi all, 

I think this has been posted in the past however I think it's good to post again for users who land on this thread when browsing the forum or doing a search. 

This is the official statement from BT regarding the status of your box should you decide to leave BT. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Unfortunately in most cases when BT customers attempt to cancel they are told all sorts of lies. Their own forums are full of instances. The customer advisers are far too often telling those wishing to cancel that their box will effectively become a brick or they'll lose access to recording features on Freeview channels and/or lose access to the free tv apps (iplayer etc). 
    B)
  • scottscott Posts: 1,864Member ✭✭✭
    edited 3 January 2018, 12:16PM
    al said:
    If you've only used the BT app before I think you will be very pleased with the standard Youview app. To me they are complete opposites in regard to usability.

@al I suppose it depends what you want them for. The BT app is great for watching the extra channels on the move, seeing what TV and films are available to buy on the BT store, continuing watching my programmes and watching catch-up content. I also like the fact is has the number of the channels in the TV guide and you can filter the channels also..

But I also agree for booking recordings and checking my recordings/scheduled I use the YouView app (I particularly like the way it offers HD when available when booking a recording)....

I expect both to be upgraded even more this year :)

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,528Member ✭✭✭
    Robert said:
    Sarah said:
    Hi all, 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Unfortunately in most cases when BT customers attempt to cancel they are told all sorts of lies. Their own forums are full of instances. The customer advisers are far too often telling those wishing to cancel that their box will effectively become a brick or they'll lose access to recording features on Freeview channels and/or lose access to the free tv apps (iplayer etc). 

Posted 2014, and still not in the armoury of every call centre advisor used by BT? 

It's all very well it being there to be pointed to, but it's not exactly at the coalface, where it should be, is it?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • NiggleNiggle Posts: 35Member
    Daniel said:
    What I would say once your switch goes though come back to this thread and we can tell you how to get the retail skins on your boxes it's a lot more neater than the bt skin and you lose all the bt logos in the guide etc as well as the pay channels you can't access. It's straight forward.
    Hi Daniel, I have recently (effective from yesterday) dropped the TV package from my BT account, so would be very interested in this process. Can you share some details?
    Many thanks, Nigel
    Niggle said:
    Daniel said:
    Hi Daniel, I have recently (effective from yesterday) dropped the TV package from my BT account, so would be very interested in this process. Can you share some details?
    Many thanks, Nigel
    It's only possible if you have left BT broadband otherwise you are stuck with it even if the TV is cancelled.
  • You’ll be able to use the boxes as standard Youview boxes but you won’t have access to Bt subscription services such as sport. BT are lying to you. You can buy BT boxes in the high street and use them without any connection to Bt.
    You’ll be able to use the boxes as standard Youview boxes but you won’t have access to Bt subscription services such as sport. BT are lying to you. You can buy BT boxes in the high street and use them without any connection to Bt.
    While what you say is true (if somewhat belated) it is worth pointing out that BT Retail boxes are different Model/Variants from the subscription ones, and so you cannot necessarily extrapolate from one to the other.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,081Member ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    You’ll be able to use the boxes as standard Youview boxes but you won’t have access to Bt subscription services such as sport. BT are lying to you. You can buy BT boxes in the high street and use them without any connection to Bt.
    While what you say is true (if somewhat belated) it is worth pointing out that BT Retail boxes are different Model/Variants from the subscription ones, and so you cannot necessarily extrapolate from one to the other.
    What?
    Visionman said:
    Roy said:
    What?
    Let me guess. You are having trouble with the indubitably true, in logic, statement I have made because it appears to clash with certain empirical truths that you know - as indeed do I. Look closer - there is no such clash.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,081Member ✭✭✭
    Ohh.. posh language! But at the end of the day, how is a BT retail box different to a subscription one? 
    Visionman said:
    Ohh.. posh language! But at the end of the day, how is a BT retail box different to a subscription one? 
    It has a 3 instead of a 0 in the 7th position of its Variant number.

BT use this to differentiate what releases they get, and when.

So BT could - although at present they don’t - perfectly well use this to differentiate whether a subscription box locks up, like the BT Vision boxes used to, and like the Sky Q boxes do now, when somebody drops BT TV.

Unless there is something in BT’s agreement with YouView, which we are not privy to, which says they can never do this, even when the BT development stream really forks off?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,732Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 February 2018, 12:24PM
    Interesting speculation there Roy. You think BT "could" do this and that there is nothing in the YouView terms of service or various agreements between parties which would preclude this? If BT really wanted to fork off its customers then that would certainly do it. 

Sky used to take this approach, but no longer with Sky Q, they just insist that you send the box back if you cancel your Sky TV subscription.