Sony TVs get Freeview Play

RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,377 ✭✭✭
edited 13 January 2018, 1:18PM in News
See this press release.

This is on the lower-specified Linux sets, rather than the Android sets that carry the YouView interface, but it now brings All4 and the itv Hub to a wider range of Sony TVs.

These sets also possess the recording capability still unavailable via the YouView interface.

Given that, outside of YouView, the Android OS is still regarded as rather clunky and unreliable, I think Sony may get some pressure to take their Freeview Play range upmarket, and offer the screen qualities currently reserved only for the Android sets.

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

Comments

• I have FVP on my mid-range Panasonic (2016) set which I find much more reliable for the main Catch Up players than my BT T2100 YV box. They load much quicker on the tv, I would even say they are handled better than on the new Humax FVP box. If they are handled as well on the Sony sets as they are on the Panny then it's an upgrade worth considering for anyone in the market for a new telly, and of course the recording capability is an added bonus (although as yet I haven't used that particular function).
  • AshAsh Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    Freeview play does seem to be handled very well on TV sets. It's very good on my LG UH 770V as well. I'd say this  scrollback interface is better on LG TVs, though,  then it is on Panasonic. I know what the Panasonic scroll back interface  is like like because as well as having Freeview play on my LG TV. I also have a Panasonic Freeview play PVR. On LG TVs. The scroll back layout is very similar to how it is a Youview  in terms of layout. But I find the scroll back layout and Panasonic to be a bit weird
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭
    On the MyHumax forum, users are warned to avoid FVP Panasonics like the plague and thats their words not mine. And its been posted their boxes are even worse.
    I wouldn't know as I don't have either but am interested in its development as a growing platform.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Member Posts: 166
    I wish I could change the software on my Sony Android TV from YouView to this FreeView Play option. 
    Android YouView non recording or no catch-up is terrible.
    You've been banging on about this for years like its the end of the world, but it isn't. Simple solution - just get a box.
  • DJHB1980DJHB1980 Member Posts: 166
    Visionman said:
    You've been banging on about this for years like its the end of the world, but it isn't. Simple solution - just get a box.
    Or Sony or YouView could up their game and put out a better product!!!
    im not silent about the inadequacies I see in something!!!
    edited 14 January 2018, 12:17AM
    And nor should you be. But I've lost count of the number of times different users have told you what you had back then and now is all your going to get. The OS you have now is it and it isn't going to change.
  • I agree with you @Ash re scroll back on the Panny tv but I never have use for it so not a problem for me. 
    I don't know about the Panasonic PVRs (I've the Humax 5000) but FVP on the tv itself knocks the spots off Youview for me as regards Player speed and reliability and overall quality.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 604 ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    On the MyHumax forum, users are warned to avoid FVP Panasonics like the plague and thats their words not mine. And its been posted their boxes are even worse.
    I wouldn't know as I don't have either but am interested in its development as a growing platform.
    I've 2017 Panny TV - a 50EX750 - with FVP and apart from the fact that loading time might be a little slow sometimes when going into the guide ( same applies to a YV box) it seems to work just fine to me.
    The only minor issue would be skipping 24hours back or forwards as how you do that is not obvious but once figured out it's OK. Panasonic support stated you couldn't do it btw.
  • Mine's the 50DX750 (2016). The 24hr skip is a glaring omission but I seldom use the onboard epg of any device as I'm still old school and buy a tv listings mag every week. For setting recordings on YV/FVP/Freesat I tend to use the search function although I'm probably in a minority doing things that way.
    As for avoiding the Panasonic TVs? I find them ultra reliable with FVP and a lot more reliable for the Catch Up players than the BT T2100.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the "disagree" @Robert . It was a mis-tap on a mobile device with a failing screen! :/