[Discussion] BT software update 29.45.0

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
Hi all,

Please feel free to feedback on the latest BT software update 29.45.0 in this thread.

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,835Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 January 2018, 6:32PM
    Now for Retail to make thier move I presume (hopefully a bit more exciting than this one) :)
  • Bernard StayBernard Stay Posts: 20Member
    edited 23 January 2018, 10:02AM
    Could comment if we could discover what if anything has changed! Initial playback of any recording still has no progress bar etc. The wide obscuring blue areas top and bottom are still there. When, oh when are they going to be shrunk and made less opaque? No-one at BT or YouView has even tried to justify them or even mention them. Every user I know has complained about them. 
  • John29John29 Posts: 23Member
    edited 22 January 2018, 11:01PM
    This is just a maintenance release. No added features or noticeable changes. I've had it installed for a few hours and don't really notice any difference. That's sort of the point in maintenance releases though.
    The wide obscuring blue areas top and bottom are still there. When, oh when are they going to be shrunk and made less opaque?
    Must say I hadn't even noticed the top until I read this post. 
    It's the same on the Talktalk/Retail boxes, just not the horrible blue BT choose.
  • StephenStephen Posts: 654Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    scott said:
    Now for Retail to make thier move I presume (hopefully a bit more exciting than this one) :)
    Scott, are you at it again? You're making a habit of this...
  • StephenStephen Posts: 654Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 January 2018, 4:35PM
    scott said:
    Oh what's this https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7604269/discussion-humax-software-update-29-44-10

@Stephen so a lesser software number than BT but a massive amount newer added. This really is going to get messy :(
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,414Member, Champion mod
    Given the software version numbers one might almost imagine that the software is basically the same, the difference may then simply be controlled by the ISP specific config file telling the box what features to present or hide. I have no sight of the software though so that is pure speculation :)
    edited 23 January 2018, 4:59PM
    @Keith you could well be right but I think the BT box with its many catch-up players in the BT Player and its IP channels could cause more head scratching as to how this will work. I suppose the problem is I can only go by the small write up and screen shots to actually see/guess how these new features work :'(
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,002Member ✭✭✭
    This might help - As I've said on another thread -
    Nick7 said:
    Hi guys, so am I right assuming this feature is not going to return to BT branded boxes? (Drt4000) cheers..
    "Of course they are going to get it! Hence the inclusion in Discover's search engine for both free & subscription content and helpfully clearly labels content as such."

So it appears the Discovery search engine has already been pre-encoded for its ISP partners.
    Or perhaps you feel the BT platform should have been the first to get this?
    edited 25 January 2018, 9:52AM

Well if we look how much revenue YouView get from its Retail base as opposed to how much BT put in, I see no reason why not to expect BT customers to be first (along with TalkTalk probably) to get updates....

Someone better than me might be able to find exactly how YouView's income is divided but it was strongly suggested the new funding deal was very highly toed towards the ISP partners making (much) higher contributions...With this deal running out in just over a year it could be interesting to see what happens then.

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,414Member, Champion mod
    One could speculate that the ISP are cautious about the rollout of new features and see the comparatively smaller pool of retail users as a good final phase trial rollout. One might imagine the official trials involved relatively low numbers of users whereas ramping up to the retail base gives them say 200,000 users. If they see no problems then BT and TalkTalk can no doubt jump on board with a rollout completed within a few weeks, if issues arise on scaling up then they can wait :)
    edited 25 January 2018, 10:22AM

But surely that would only make sense if BT had this in trial with its own base already (there are obviously different problems that will arise with the ISP's using subscription services as well as PSB players). The whole point of having a trial team is that you accept the software could/will be buggy and you trial to find selective issues long before you even think about a general release...It has been mentioned on other forum's this is not the case :(

There is another forum (I will not name on here) where someone has said a couple of days ago they had the 29.45 software on their boxes for weeks but nothing else new in trial and no new features to be tested. I don't see a rollout within a few weeks being a feasible suggestion (or even a few months :( ).

edited 25 January 2018, 9:08PM
    Keith said:
    One could speculate that the ISP are cautious about the rollout of new features and see the comparatively smaller pool of retail users as a good final phase trial rollout. One might imagine the official trials involved relatively low numbers of users whereas ramping up to the retail base gives them say 200,000 users. If they see no problems then BT and TalkTalk can no doubt jump on board with a rollout completed within a few weeks, if issues arise on scaling up then they can wait :)
    I completely agree with this.
    Also, YouView was envisaged and developed by BBC R&D (Research & Development) that in time came into partnership with others and is now a firmly entrenched disrupter. Indeed, even with its lack of bells and whistles, it is still the number one selling Freeview PVR.

There are, one would envisage, many trial groups, not just one and so assumptions about release dates are purely a users speculation and are very rarely correct. As such, such posts should be taken lightly.
    Debut public releases go where they will, to whatever suits. It doesn't matter which platform gets them first as they all eventually get them and so is, if you'll forgive me, irrelevant as to which platform gets what first. 
    The last Retail release was a major one, not only introducing Discover but new features as well and is to be commended. But still lots of work to be done yet....
  • I would love to comment but my ex BT box is still on 27.50.0. Any idea how I can update it (I've tried the option from Settings already)?
    Hi Rob. One can't force an update so you'll just have to wait for BT to target your box. Its no biggie though. Its just a maintenance release (as in bug fixes).
  • Thanks I'll sit tight. Although I think I'm missing the previous update too as I don't yet have the edit channels option. 
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,211Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks I'll sit tight. Although I think I'm missing the previous update too as I don't yet have the edit channels option. 
    The latest updates available for the different boxes are given here:

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions
  • robin0800robin0800 Posts: 42Member
    I could not get this update until I wondered if there was something wrong with the box.
    Did a maintenance 4 reset and ended up with the new update already installed.
    It could be the update just appeared on the servers during the reset but this was 1-30 pm
    and I thought the updates were at 2-00 am?
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,211Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 January 2018, 5:21PM
    robin0800 said:
    I could not get this update until I wondered if there was something wrong with the box.
    Did a maintenance 4 reset and ended up with the new update already installed.
    It could be the update just appeared on the servers during the reset but this was 1-30 pm and I thought the updates were at 2-00 am?
    Software updates are made available during the day before the box updates itself automatically overnight. If you do a manual update, or a maintenance re-set that includes re-installing the software, after the software has been released but before the box has had chance to update itself automatically overnight, the updated software will be installed.

Edit: That's how it is supposed to work, but it has been suggested that some boxes do not update themselves automatically as intended.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 888Administrator admin
    Thanks I'll sit tight. Although I think I'm missing the previous update too as I don't yet have the edit channels option. 
    Hi Rob,

Can you let us know you box model? The only BT box model which should be on 27.50.0 is the DTR-T1000. All other BT box models will have the ability to take more recent updates. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Is this https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/18992604 a symptom of the new version?
  • Sarah said:
    Hi Rob,

Can you let us know you box model? The only BT box model which should be on 27.50.0 is the DTR-T1000. All other BT box models will have the ability to take more recent updates. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Yes it's a dtrt1000 Sarah . Does that mean the box won't get any more updates?
    Sarah said:
    Hi Rob,

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Yes it's a dtrt1000 Sarah . Does that mean the box won't get any more updates?
    Hi Rob,

27.50.0 is the latest update for T1000 box models so you haven't missed an update for your box and there will be future updates for this box. Editing channels will return to all YouView set top boxes in the Guide with the added option of un-hiding individual channels. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• zulu17zulu17 Posts: 892Member ✭✭
    @Sarah looking at the Latest Box Versions page tonight it appears to have incorrect information for the 3 BT supplied  boxes  that initially received this update (29.45.0) . so if that update is completed for those boxes the version number for those boxes should be changed  from 29.36.0 to 29.45.0 . If the update is still ongoing then they should  have the Rolling out to 29.45.0 comment reinstated.
    zulu17 said:
    @Sarah looking at the Latest Box Versions page tonight it appears to have incorrect information for the 3 BT supplied  boxes  that initially received this update (29.45.0) . so if that update is completed for those boxes the version number for those boxes should be changed  from 29.36.0 to 29.45.0 . If the update is still ongoing then they should  have the Rolling out to 29.45.0 comment reinstated.
    Thanks for spotting this @zulu17, the Latest Box Version page should now be fully up to date :) 
  • Rob_MillsRob_Mills Posts: 5Member
    edited 13 February 2018, 11:18PM
    Cannot series link ITV+1 since update. Sets recordings on ITV instead. Bloody annoying.
  • I'm a new BT customer, just wondering if there is an option to see coloured channel logos rather than grayscale. If unsubscribed channels were flagged in a distinct fashion, it would also make the Guide much easier to use.
    Some plans on improving these 2 items?
    Thank you!
    Rob_Mills said:
    Cannot series link ITV+1 since update. Sets recordings on ITV instead. Bloody annoying.
    Hi Rob,

The updates do not effect how series linking works, this is down to the Channel themselves to provide the series linking information so it's likely that ITV changed this around the same time the update came up (see @Yasha Noke's post for detail). I can check with our Content team to see if they know of when any changes took place so we can update further.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Rob_MillsRob_Mills Posts: 5Member
    Looks like ITV have sorted this now. ☺