Now TV changes

It's being reported here http://www.a516digital.com/2018/01/now-tv-upgrades-streaming-quality.html that Now TV is going full hd by the end of this year. With the launch on BT Youview boxes to follow in 2019 this could be of interest to BT customers. The article does state however that Sky aren't saying as yet whether this will incur an added charge, as is the case with Sky's satellite tv service, where there is an added option/charge for taking a 'hd package'.
B)

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 2,002Member ✭✭✭
    Here at YouView we are still dreaming of 720p HD NowTV ;)
  • speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 80Member
    Also from Sky's results press release:

"and from early 2019 we will make the full NOW TV service available to BT customers through the BT TV set-top-box "

which seems to indicate that non-BT customers won't be seeing it.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,009Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 January 2018, 12:12PM
    That reads like quite a big infrastructure change on Sky’s part. Probably should file this under “major” new development :) 

Interesting its coinciding with BT’s deal with sky. It makes more sense of the deal from BT’s point of view. Having a high quality version of Nowtv would be much more desirable for the BT package. 

I presume they will also up the bit rate which isn’t particularly great on the 720p streams...They did mention matching Satellite quality.

edit: Horay edit works on smart phones

Makes me wonder whether Sky are moving to a “multicast” system like BT already use? If they’re switching to an IP based delivery then that would make sense. Sounds like a very big overhaul 
    edited 25 January 2018, 12:22PM
    Maybe BT will give them a discount on their TV Connect product in exchange for access to the NowTV app :)
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 784Member ✭✭✭
    @Robert

Looks like you may have missed this announcement, So it all makes perfect sense :)

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 25 January 2018, 4:15PM
    Yes John I read that this morning although the headline is a little misleading as the article also states "Sky is not proposing to stop broadcasting by satellite. The move will allow customers who cannot have a dish or do not want one to get Sky, a spokesperson said. A Sky box will still be required.". Dishless Sky Q was first mentioned by Sky last year as their next venture, which was widely reported at the time. It was announced earlier today that UK viewers have to wait until 2019 to access it, many thought it would be UK first this year.

@speedyrite ; I don't think anyone doubted it was going to be an exclusive deal with BT for the Now TV service. That's certainly how it read at the time with all the announcements clearly mentioning a deal between Sky and BT, not Sky and Youview.
    B)
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,127Member ✭✭✭
    @Robert I'm not trying to dissuade you from making your useful contributions, but don't you think it's time you amended your little profile line?
    ("Frequent browser....Infrequent poster!")
     ;) 
    edited 25 January 2018, 4:24PM
    Robert said:
    @speedyrite ; I don't think anyone doubted it was going to be an exclusive deal with BT for the Now TV service. That's certainly how it read at the time with all the announcements clearly mentioning a deal between Sky and BT, not Sky and Youview.
    @Robert I wasn't absolutely convinced at the time, but it seems beyond doubt to me now. As a non-BT customer with a BT Retail box, it was probably just a wishful hope on my part...
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    I was intrigued by the mention of the outlawing of geoblocking, a topic dear to my heart as we have a place in Spain, and have to keep getting our smart DNS tweaked, never quite knowing from day to day if Netflix, NowTV, or even the good old BBC iPlayer, are going to stay fooled into letting us watch them.

i think this is going to have major implications for YouView; our YouView box there allows us the BBC iPlayer, courtesy of the smart DNS, but Netflix only offers the Spanish service, My5 declines to show us any actual programmes, and the itv Hub and All4 Players don’t appear at all.

Will YouView be able to get round this by still claiming to be a UK-only service, or will the new rules, with their attendant requirements to allow anyone in the EU to buy a YouView box, as the geoblocking prohibition extends to physical goods, and services, as well, prevent this?

The (or a) further complication being that the user is entitled to the services from their home country, so our YouView box in Spain will suddenly need to know we are British. And, if the rules on regions in Players are allowed to be preserved, some other way of knowing which TV region we hail from than what broadcasts we are getting, as these are all Spanish  :p
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    And on the subject of Now TV:

Now TV launches budget streaming stick

http://www.a516digital.com/2018/01/now-tv-launches-budget-streaming-stick.html
  • jimb said:
    @Robert I'm not trying to dissuade you from making your useful contributions, but don't you think it's time you amended your little profile line?
    ("Frequent browser....Infrequent poster!")
     ;) 
    All done  :)
    Thanks for the reminder. I'd meant to do that a while back  :D

B)
    jimb said:

I like this. Now I can walk about with it instead of juggling devices because of Sky’s limit of 4 with only one change a month allowed.
    edited 25 January 2018, 6:02PM
    Roy said:
    jimb said:

I like this. Now I can walk about with it instead of juggling devices because of Sky’s limit of 4 with only one change a month allowed.

Was the box really that heavy to carry ;)

Joking aside this fits in better with the form factor everyone is going. Still though the most restrictive streamer out there but for the price it works...

scott said:
    Roy said:
    jimb said:

You would prefer to move a box with cables and power supply rather than a stick??? 
    edited 25 January 2018, 6:13PM
    jimb said:
    scott said:
    Roy said:
    jimb said:

You would prefer to move a box with cables and power supply rather than a stick??? 

I was joking, but remember you will still need a power cable to run this. Possibly via a spare usb on the tv but if not via a usb enabled cable and plug. It certainly isn't completely cable free and if your wifi isn't very good there is no option to feed via an Ethernet cable.

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,509Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 January 2018, 11:35PM
    Now TVs decision to stream in SD only on YouView was a SKY decision, no one else's. And they declared such even before launch. Its move to full HD is a natural progression.
    This is an BT exclusive deal. Whether that changes between now and 2019, who knows?

Due to the avalanche of bad press it had previously received, Now TV already uses a multicast content delivery network and has done for quite some time.
    The Picture Quality will be in 1080i at 50fps.
    I'm going to shut up now. But it probably isn't going to be cheap.
  • Well they do charge a seperate hd 'tax' (well two actually, one for entertainment in hd and one for sport in hd) on the satellite platform so can't see Now TV being any different.
    B)
  • It would be nice if BT customers get NowTV at a cheaper rate with this new deal and in HD. Can dream I guess.
    Visionman said:
    Due to the avalanche of bad press it had previously received, Now TV already uses a multicast content delivery network and has done for quite some time.

As far as I can tell Nowtv still uses a unicast delivery. I can't find anything stating that Nowtv has moved to multicast 
    edited 30 January 2018, 11:49PM
    Here you go, Joe. Sky now employ a third party company called Elemental to multicast CDN distribute Now TV over the net (who are very reputable).
    https://www.elemental.com/newsroom/press-releases/elemental-powers-sky-go-now-tv

• zulu17zulu17 Posts: 950Member ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Here you go, Joe. Sky now employ a third party company called Elemental to multicast CDN distribute Now TV over the net (who are very reputable).
    https://www.elemental.com/newsroom/press-releases/elemental-powers-sky-go-now-tv

actually that company (Elemental)  was bought by Amazon Web Services back in 2015
  • David8David8 Posts: 650Member ✭✭
    No expert but doesn't an IP multicast network require all users to be on the same ISP ?

I'm pretty sure Now TV uses Unicast.
    Thanks Visionman, but that doesn’t say anything about multicast delivery. I’m with David8, I’m pretty sure it’s unicast. 
    Though I guess Sky are moving to multicast for SkyQ over IP, which may have implications for the delivery of Nowtv on BTTV in the future. 
    edited 31 January 2018, 9:25AM
    If it is still unicast then I stand corrected. They are using a CDN though, which completely stopped Now TV crashing at times of high demand, such as debut episodes of GoT.
    edited 31 January 2018, 10:30AM
    Visionman said:
    If it is still unicast then I stand corrected. They are using a CDN though, which completely stopped Now TV crashing at times of high demand, such as debut episodes of GoT.
    Elemental services can include multicast. (Put that word in the search box there if you don’t see the results there already).

Obviously, this could only apply to live streaming, not on demand viewing.

i don’t see why multicast would have to be served from your ISP, rather than via your ISP, though maybe there are technical reasons why, which some kind soul will tell me about.

But as with BT, I think your router would have to support it, and be set for it, and I have not seen NowTV specifying this as a requirement. Though again, some kind soul.....

Visionman said:
    As an aside for anybody who is interested, this video is a presentation about how Sky's network has developed over the past few years. It includes some info about how CDNs support Sky's on demand and catch-up TV services (which would also include NOW TV as it's part of Sky and uses the same network).
    edited 31 January 2018, 12:38PM
    Just a small technical note - a CDN (a content delivery network) supports both unicast and multicast delivery. But just using one virtually guarantees delivery.
    i don’t see why multicast would have to be served from your ISP, rather than via your ISP, though maybe there are technical reasons why, which some kind soul will tell me about.

This is a point I’ve never fully understood. If I recall discussions on this forum correctly, the consensus was that only the ISP could use multicast live streaming on their network. But I may be well off the mark.
    It would be really interesting to know one way or the other.