Continuous Advertisements on My5

margaret1margaret1 Posts: 20Member
Hi  :) does anyone know why I am suddenly unable to watch programmes on  My5.
I have a Humax DTRT 2000.
I select the programme I wish to view on My5 and a message tells me there will be 5 advertisements.
Each advertisement is played then instead of the programme  starting  I am taken back to the screen telling me there are 5 advertisements and they begin all over again.
It doesn't happen on other stations.   
 Thank you

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 788Administrator admin
    Hi @margaret1

Did you get any error messages or error codes popping up when this occurred? Can you let us know if this is still happening today?

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,049Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 February 2018, 12:49PM
    Tried this, and after five interminable adverts, it did show the programme OK.

T2000, 29.44.10
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • margaret1margaret1 Posts: 20Member
    Hi Thank you both for the response  :)  
    Hi Sarah , yes it was still happening as of last night only on My 5 and not just in one secton but all.
    The last of the 5 advertisements ends, then a 'time line' with the name of the selected programme appears for a brief moment  at the foot of the screen , then I am back to it saying '1of 5' advertisements  (or in some sections 3 ) . This goes on indefinitely. 
    Thanks for this information @margaret1

Can you let us know what programmes this is happening on for you so we can test it on our end? Can you confirm if you've tried other programmes on My5 and experienced the same issue? 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Sarah, I can confirm 'GP's behind closed doors '  series 3 and 4 was not working, I tested various episodes and have done so for a couple of weeks .
    Lat night I   randomly selected  My5 programs with which I am not familiar  from  various  sections so I can't remember their names and they didn't work. I  tested ITV and BBC Iplayer too, all ok. 
    Just this moment I have randomly selected 'Balmoral a brief history' from  the 'entertainment' section on My5 and that worked ok , also episode 35 series 4 of  'GP behind closed doors ' and that worked too but didn't last night and on previous occasions. I can't test more at the moment have to go now.
    Thank you.

Thanks for letting us know @margaret1. We'll give this a test on our end with the same programme to see if we get the same issue you are getting. 

When you have some time, it'd be helpful to know if it has started working again for you on the content you were trying to watch yesterday and anything else you try. We'll mention this to our Content team in case they know of any issues going on with the My5 app yesterday. If you can let us know what time you were trying to access the content this may help them narrow down the potential cause. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah , I will know from now  to note specific programs  that won't load and to post about them here. I will also do another random check when time allows. 
    Thank you.  :)
  • ruwdsruwds Posts: 3Member
    I have seen the same behavior on mine. Have not used the app before to comment if it was ok before. The first time I tried it to watch the 'Paddington Station 24/7' programme, it showed loading episode 1 and skipped to next episode. After going back it finally loaded episode 1. No adverts were shown that day. Next day for episode 2, it did the run through all adverts, try to load the episode, and back to loop the ads or skip episode. After multiple tries managed to get it to play that episode.
    Device is a BT DTRT2100 used as a non BT box SW: 29.45.0 
    edited 9 February 2018, 6:54PM
    Hi ruws , thank you for your input . 

I have tried  My5 again last night 'GP behind closed doors' series 3 episode 42 just to test it and I tried to load it 5 times and gave up. 

edited 9 February 2018, 8:28PM
    Just tried the Paddington Station 24/7 Episode 8, 5 ads played and it tried to load the episode and skipped onto the 5 ads again. After the ads it ended up with the episode list.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,597Member ✭✭✭
    ruwds said:
    Just tried the Paddington Station 24/7 Episode 8, 5 ads played and it tried to load the episode and skipped onto the 5 ads again. After the ads it ended up with the episode list.
    Just tested here, exactly the same result. I gave up though after the first five ads, each 30 seconds in length, when they started again I couldn't bear to watch any further.  :confused:
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 878Member ✭✭
    just tried and that episode plays normally after 5 ads  for me

“Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English).”

I'll try again ...
    OK, worked this time.
    @ruwds Have you tried again?
    @margaret1 And you?
    redchiz said:
    @ruwds Have you tried again?
    Yea, last evening I did the whole loop once again which gave the same result. Just tried now and started to play fine after the 5 adverts. I think it's time dependent with the load on the server...
    Thanks all for the added information. 

I've been testing it out on the box I have here with Paddington Station 24/7 and found the advert loop issue occur in two of the episodes out of the 8 available (episodes 5 and 6 to be precise!) however didn't encounter it on the 'GP's behind closed doors' after checking a few of those episodes. 

Our Content team is on the case however if anyone else experiences this, please let us know your YouView box model along with the programme name, series and episode numbers so we can test these and forward them on as well.

Thanks!

Sarah
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 878Member ✭✭
    I thought I would quickly try those two episodes. this on dtrt4000 
    However I initially experienced a startup error on the  Youview My 5 Player.
    i attach the screenshots. As I was previously watching an IpTv channel prior to launching the My 5 Player I discount any local to me  internet connection cause.
    subsequently I was able to start the Youview milkshake Player normally.
    subsequently I was able to try the Youview My 5 Player again and this time it loaded normally and those two Paddington station episodes started normally after the 5 adverts.
    Hi all,

Has anyone experienced the same issue with the ads looping in the last couple of days? We think we worked out what was causing the issue so it'd be good to know if it's happening still for anyone.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • jackqu7jackqu7 Posts: 1Member
    I am still experiencing this issue as of today on a Humax DTR-T2000. I mainly watch GPs Behind Closed Doors and have found no working episodes from Season 3. I also tried a random programme from the home page and had the same problem. No errors displayed - just the looping adverts with no programme in between.
    edited 28 February 2018, 8:56PM
    Hi Jackqu , same here ,I have given up trying to watch  My5 'GPs behind closed doors' , it is a waste of time. 
    Tonight I tried ''Peyton and Polizzi’s Restaurant Rescue '' episode 1,  again the same advertisement loop was in operation . I don't know if the fault lies with the Humax box or channel 5.
    I have tried various My5 programmes and hardly any play .

Thanks for letting me know @margaret1 & @jackqu7. I've raised this with our Content team again so they can look into it.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi all,

We recommend to anyone who is experiencing this issue to report it directly to Channel 5 so they are aware that the issue is still persisting. Please include the programmes which this happens with along with our YV box model.

Channel 5 LogoCall
    0208 612 7700
    0345 705 0505
     Lines open
     Mon - Thurs: 9am - 6pm
     Fri: 9am - 5pm
     Email
     Channel 5 Email

Thanks a lot,
    Sarah
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,852Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2018, 10:54PM
    @Sarah I'm having this issue today. I find it incredibly disappointing that you view are asking us as customers to contact Channel 5. A majority of people on here will have paid money for their boxes and obviously don't expect to have to run to content providers when there is a issue with the functionality on there equipment. I'm sorry if this is not what you expect me to post but I feel strongly that this is something YouView should be chasing with a view to getting everything sorted with the my5 app on YouView boxes. 
    Daniel said:
    @Sarah I'm having this issue today. I find it incredibly disappointing that you view are asking us as customers to contact Channel 5. A majority of people on here will have paid money for their boxes and obviously don't expect to have to run to content providers when there is a issue with the functionality on there equipment. I'm sorry if this is not what you expect me to post but I feel strongly that this is something YouView should be chasing with a view to getting everything sorted with the my5 app on YouView boxes. 

I agree Daniel, it is 'passing the book' expecting  Youview'ers to take it up with the TV station surely it would be better coming from Youview   on our behalf. 
    I have spent literal hours watching advertisements going around in a loop on my5 a total waste of time. 

Daniel said:
    It’s an app, @Daniel. Would you rail at Apple if an app on your iPad suddenly stopped working, despite the iOS version remaining unchanged?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 6 March 2018, 11:21PM
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    It’s an app, @Daniel. Would you rail at Apple if an app on your iPad suddenly stopped working, despite the iOS version remaining unchanged?
     Roy I don't know what you are talking about, I don't have an Ipad .
    All I know is  when I  purchased my Humax with youview it was on the understanding I could use it to connect my TV to the internet and watch catch up TV. 
    My5 has worked perfectly well until recently and I don't understand why  the programmes have suddenly  been replaced with a loop of Advertisements. 
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,852Member ✭✭
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    If the app maker was a partner in the product as channel 5 are with youview then yes. For the record though I emailed channel 5 many times in the past about issues I had with ar they sent a email about video plus and program delivery control. Then proceeded to ignore my future answers so if someone actually contacted there customer services I don't in all honesty expect them to get a positive response because I never did.
    margaret1 said:
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
     Roy I don't know what you are talking about, I don't have an Ipad .
    All I know is  when I  purchased my Humax with youview it was on the understanding I could use it to connect my TV to the internet and watch catch up TV. 
    My5 has worked perfectly well until recently and I don't understand why  the programmes have suddenly  been replaced with a loop of Advertisements. 
    That wasn’t a real iPad, @Daniel, just a hypothetical one  :p

No good me trying to make an Android comparison, as there are about as many Androids as there are devices, and no central point of responsibility, just the individual device makers.

Reading between the lines above, I suspect that YouView have gone blue in the face trying to get 5 to fix this issue, and want to expose 5 to some direct customer feedback here.

Anybody know if there are My5 issues on other platforms? I expect there are.

There seems to be a generic weakness with the catchup players which use adverts, as the ads are injected from a different server, and the process of returning to the programme seems to cause difficulties.

Channel Four keep having this issue, on all sorts of devices, and every software upgrade from them seems to be potentially prone to regression errors that can bring the problem back.

It would be very nice if we could see when each aspect of the YouView software, including the players, was last updated, and to what version, easily and consistently, in one place in Settings.

But then it would be nice if we could see if there were player updates at all, instead of a spurious error message.....  :(