TV aerial?

This is probably a stupid question!
I have had my box for years and it’s on its last legs. I will be buying a new box sometime this year. My question is I have around 70% worth of recordings still to watch. If I plug in my new YouView box as normal with the aerial and HDMI etc so I can set up new recordings, can I still watch my old box with it just plugged in via my second HDMI plug or does the tv aerial have to be plugged into the box? 

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,401Member, Champion mod
    Hi Claire - yes you can watch up the recordings on the old box just by having it connected via HDMI (without an aerial or network cable). One caveat (which probably does not affect you) is one cannot watch recordings from ISP subscription channels in this setup.

One other thing to bear in mind is a YouView remote will affect both boxes if they are both left in standby. One could power down one box completely at any one time but that is likely to be awkward as you may want the new box to be coming out of standby and recording whilst you are at the same time watching up content from the old box. One way around this is to drape a cloth over the front of the box you do not want to control at a given time. The cloth will block the signals from the remote.
  • Claire TwineClaire Twine Posts: 36Member
    Thank you so much for replying. Looks like I better start saving. Soft resetting won’t keep me going for much longer and I don’t want the box to go bang with all my recording on!