Ian

Hi Ian. Far as I'm aware there is no WiFi on any of the boxes . I said if would be nice to have WiFi on the boxes.

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,840Member ✭✭
    WiFi is not part of the youview spec. Maybe the person who your trying to communicate with is confusing a freeview play box. No youview box has wifi.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,834Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 March 2018, 9:35AM
    @Paulathome, were you possibly trying to reply to a Private Message?

You have to do that within the Private Message area, not out in public.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • dogtaniandogtanian Posts: 9Member
    Sorry guys, it was me, I sent Paul a PM and it went on this thread as well so its my error. 
    I have a Retail T1000 and was curious if it could be made to connect to the internet via a dongle or something instead of power adapters. 
    edited 12 March 2018, 11:28AM
    dogtanian said:
    Sorry guys, it was me, I sent Paul a PM and it went on this thread as well so its my error. 
    I have a Retail T1000 and was curious if it could be made to connect to the internet via a dongle or something instead of power adapters. 
    No worries @dogtanian :)

More Paul’s error in replying to a PM in the forum, but it does not look as if any secrets were accidentally exposed  :*

I use my Retail T1000 with one of these.

Not a Humax device, and not a dongle, but a nanorouter, which can be made entirely self-contained by powering it from a USB socket on the T1000, with a very short Ethernet tail from box to nanorouter, after which it’s WiFi all the way to your regular router.

It can do a bunch of other things as well (so much so that you have to dig into the specs to see it as usable in the way I describe, or trust me on this), but it gives you the nearest thing to a WiFi dongle as you are likely to get with a YouView box.

BT TV subscribers please note, though, that BT Home Hubs won’t pass multicast across WiFi; you can get round this with a second nanorouter at the main router end, or by using a non-BT router, but the single nanorouter solution I describe is strictly ‘Retail only’ for Home Hub users.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Thanks for the info...……. I have another issue right now, the YV app will not find the YV box even though its on the same network, the box is connected to the internet as I can view EPG, use players etc and I can see it when logging into my Virgin Superhub 3 Router. Tried two different phones, rebooted box, rebooted phones, re-installed apps, best of it was that it was working a few days ago.

edited 12 March 2018, 2:43PM
    dogtanian said:
    Thanks for the info...……. I have another issue right now, the YV app will not find the YV box even though its on the same network, the box is connected to the internet as I can view EPG, use players etc and I can see it when logging into my Virgin Superhub 3 Router. Tried two different phones, rebooted box, rebooted phones, re-installed apps, best of it was that it was working a few days ago.

Have you got more than one YouView box? We have seen such issues in multi-box households.

How does the YouView box appear to the Virgin router? Mine show up as yv1234567890 (with various different values for the ten digit number).
    Thanks for the advice, I have an odd situation, I had a Sony XA Ultra phone connected and working ok, then got a Honor 7X phone, tried to set that up, would not connect, thinking it was a phone problem I disconnected the Sony XA Ultra which had been fine, tried reconnecting the Sony, it would not work. Spoke to YV chat and I tried a Samsung S3 and it found the box straight away. So Samsung S3 connects the other two phones will not, all have the latest YV app installed and have different versions of Android. Samsung Android version 4, I think, Honour is on Android 7 and Sony is on Android 8.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 851Member ✭✭
    Just to say that on the Bt community someone has reported issues recently with a Sony Xperia XZ1 running Android 8.0  . In that case they cannot  find/connect with the youview app but can when they tried with the BTTV app. The relevant thread in that community is:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Android-phone-fails-to-find-YouView-box-failure-code-YVM-5010/td-p/1831261

• Tim CTim C Posts: 281Member ✭✭
    Try the TalkTalk app as well.
    Hi, I have just tried both the Talk Talk and BT app, Talk Talk I get the same 5010 error, its strange as the Samsung S3 works fine but the BT app worked straight away. Thanks for the suggestion,