Continuous Advertisements on My5

2»

Comments

• margaret1margaret1 Posts: 20Member
    Roy said:
    margaret1 said:
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    @Sarah I'm having this issue today. I find it incredibly disappointing that you view are asking us as customers to contact Channel 5. A majority of people on here will have paid money for their boxes and obviously don't expect to have to run to content providers when there is a issue with the functionality on there equipment. I'm sorry if this is not what you expect me to post but I feel strongly that this is something YouView should be chasing with a view to getting everything sorted with the my5 app on YouView boxes. 
    It’s an app, @Daniel. Would you rail at Apple if an app on your iPad suddenly stopped working, despite the iOS version remaining unchanged?
     Roy I don't know what you are talking about, I don't have an Ipad .
    All I know is  when I  purchased my Humax with youview it was on the understanding I could use it to connect my TV to the internet and watch catch up TV. 
    My5 has worked perfectly well until recently and I don't understand why  the programmes have suddenly  been replaced with a loop of Advertisements. 
    That wasn’t a real iPad, @Daniel, just a hypothetical one  :p

No good me trying to make an Android comparison, as there are about as many Androids as there are devices, and no central point of responsibility, just the individual device makers.

Reading between the lines above, I suspect that YouView have gone blue in the face trying to get 5 to fix this issue, and want to expose 5 to some direct customer feedback here.

Anybody know if there are My5 issues on other platforms? I expect there are.

There seems to be a generic weakness with the catchup players which use adverts, as the ads are injected from a different server, and the process of returning to the programme seems to cause difficulties.

Channel Four keep having this issue, on all sorts of devices, and every software upgrade from them seems to be potentially prone to regression errors that can bring the problem back.

It would be very nice if we could see when each aspect of the YouView software, including the players, was last updated, and to what version, easily and consistently, in one place in Settings.

But then it would be nice if we could see if there were player updates at all, instead of a spurious error message.....  :(
    Hi Roy, obviously it was 'hypothetical' but my point is the same, I don't have an Ipad, mobile phone or similar device. I purchased a Humax in order to record programmes and access previously aired programmes via the internet.  I had no idea that my box would be 'updated' or should I say regularly messed about with by some external source one example being the awful 'tiles' instead of a list of recorded programmes and obviously somthing must have been done to cause the my5 to cease to work    .  Maybe it happened when the latest  thing was added 'Watch List' which doesn't appear to work either. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,834Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2018, 1:54PM
    margaret1 said:

Hi Roy, obviously it was 'hypothetical' but my point is the same, I don't have an Ipad, mobile phone or similar device. I purchased a Humax in order to record programmes and access previously aired programmes via the internet.  I had no idea that my box would be 'updated' or should I say regularly messed about with by some external source one example being the awful 'tiles' instead of a list of recorded programmes and obviously something must have been done to cause My5 to cease to work.  Maybe it happened when the latest thing was added 'WatchList' which doesn't appear to work either. 
    Hi @margaret1

When you bought your YouView box and first switched it on, you will have been given the choice of whether or not to accept YouView’s Terms & Conditions (or take the box back for a refund, presumably).

As you carried on setting it up, you must have agreed to them, or it would not have let you continue. You may not have read them - hardly anybody does - but that is not the point.

Here they are, anyway - pay particular attention to Section 8, which covers YouView’s right to ‘mess about with’ your box.

Regarding My5 ceasing to work, in the way you describe, this is highly unlikely to be due to a change in the YouView software.

It may very well be due to a change in the My5 app on the YouView box, as provided there by Channel 5, and we have certainly seen similar issues from ‘upgrades’ to the All4 app from Channel 4, across all sorts of platforms. But it is hard to know if the app has been updated recently or not.

However, it is also entirely possible that it has been caused by a change in the way Channel 5 provide their service.

It may even be a local issue at your end, as I put a Channel 5 programme on to test the Watchlist feature, and it went into the programme just fine after the initial adverts.

Have we talked to you about resets you could do, both the soft one and the Maintenance Mode ones? These often clear issues that are local to one or two boxes, rather than universal.

Though as above, there seem to be known weaknesses in how players transition from ads to programmes after ad breaks, the ‘break’ often being rather too literal  :'(
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,840Member ✭✭
    I have emailed the CEO of Viacom today. Who knows if it will do any good though.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 682Administrator admin
     Hi all,

We've chased this up with Channel 5 again so will update when we know any more or if we need further information from you to help with the investigation. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Has channel 5 made any attempt to get back to you. My wife was trying to use my5 on our bedroom youview box yesterday it took her twenty minutes to start one program. She wasn't amused.
    Daniel said:
    Has channel 5 made any attempt to get back to you. My wife was trying to use my5 on our bedroom youview box yesterday it took her twenty minutes to start one program. She wasn't amused.
    Hi Daniel,

Channel 5 are working with the application developers to reproduce the issue and identify the root cause, and will work to fix the issue as quickly as possible. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah if you want me to I can get some videos of the error if it will help. 
    Daniel said:
    Sarah if you want me to I can get some videos of the error if it will help. 
    Hi Daniel,

I don't think we need any videos but thanks for offering :) 

Sarah
    No problem
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 15 March 2018, 6:41PM
    Hi all,

Just to update on this one, it appears Channel 5 have made some progress with this issue and are looking to update the My5 player soon which should fix the problem. As soon as we know when the update is available we will keep you updated!
  • margaret1margaret1 Posts: 20Member
    Hi all,

Just to update on this one, it appears Channel 5 have made some progress with this issue and are looking to update the My5 player soon which should fix the problem. As soon as we know when the update is available we will keep you updated!
    Thank you Philip  :) I will look forward to that...
    @Philip Trott Did channel 5 not offer a ETA at all??? 
    Hi @Daniel

We don't have an eta at the moment but I'll chase them up about this to see if we can get any updates. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
2»