[Discussion] BT software update 29.53.0

2»

Comments

• So @jonesh and @Visionman don't agree with free speech! No surprise there with the way some of us get attacked for pointing out the negatives with Youview (as I would with any other platform). It must be a hassle walking through life with blinkers on.
    B)
  • jimbjimb Posts: 968Member ✭✭
    jimb said:

With regards to the behaviour when using search I think we might be talking about different scenarios. What I see is that if I search for a programme that's available on demand but is not part of a series (e.g. Contagion) and then press 'i' it still doesn't offer 'Watch on Demand".
    Could you check this out please?
     :) 
    Sorry @scott please ignore that.
    You were quite correct.
    A bit of a senior moment there - I was looking at the wrong box!
     :( 
    edited 23 March 2018, 11:25AM
    Visionman said:
    scott, searching for content that way brings up two Action Panel options for that piece of content - Watch On Demand (triangle) & Add to MyTV (with a plus).

Not in 29.53.0 which is what this thread is about.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,944Member ✭✭✭

Robert said:
    Cheers @jimb
    I already knew the answer but was wondering why @Sarah could state, in her answer to you, the exact same options were also present on BT boxes as are available on retail boxes when of course at present that is clearly not the case. Shouldn't the mods know their products/software better than that?
    Hi @Robert

I get confused enough as to what versions of YouView on what boxes do what, and I only have four in current use. @Sarah has fifteen published versions to track, let alone what’s coming out of the lab at YouView Towers.

My general impression of the Action Panel is that it is largely unpopulated in most cases, even when (especially when?) I think there should be entries there.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • scottscott Posts: 1,787Member ✭✭✭
    edited 23 March 2018, 11:50AM
    @visionman - yes I know I was talking about retail (29.44.10) and bt being the same but I was just talking about the watch on demand options that we know are there. We all know the watchlist (and therefore 'my tv' action) and discover functions are missing from the bt software at this time.
    i only mentioned both variants in this thread to highlight this is a bug in the way watch on demand action works not just in the bt variant.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,170Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Robert. I blame the screen, but I should be blaming my gormless thumbs. I'm not a regular phone user. I am not one of the 57bn.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,837Member ✭✭✭
    I owe everyone an apology. I know whats going on with BT and why, but I honestly need to wind my neck in. Sorry everyone.
  • Visionman said:
    I owe everyone an apology. I know whats going on with BT and why, but I honestly need to wind my neck in. Sorry everyone.
    Appreciate the apology. I understand how frustrating it can be to have knowledge you can't share in the public domain. For that reason I agree when you say you need to wind your neck in (your words not mine) as I've had to fight hard to bite my tongue (and sometimes failed) in the past.
    Personally I've gone beyond caring what's happening with BT. I think it's a shame though that users of other forums take the blame out on Youview and not BT for the lack of progression with BT Youview. Some of the blinkered thinking and nonsense people post up in defence of BT on their own site is beyond me. One day they'll wake up and see what's going on (maybe).
    Again @Visionman respect for the apology  :)
    B)
    edited 24 March 2018, 10:52AM
    Robert said:
    Visionman said:
    Appreciate the apology. I understand how frustrating it can be to have knowledge you can't share in the public domain. For that reason I agree when you say you need to wind your neck in (your words not mine) as I've had to fight hard to bite my tongue (and sometimes failed) in the past.
    Personally I've gone beyond caring what's happening with BT. I think it's a shame though that users of other forums take the blame out on Youview and not BT for the lack of progression with BT Youview. Some of the blinkered thinking and nonsense people post up in defence of BT on their own site is beyond me. One day they'll wake up and see what's going on (maybe).
    Again @Visionman respect for the apology  :)
    I think the problem is people need to appreciate the facts a bit better sometimes. Of course some people have brand blindness (both good and bad) and therefore lose all objectiveness.
    That aside BT will always be more careful and if you look at the difference in customer base you will understand why (something like a few hundred thousand compared to a few million). Also if BT upset a customer they can lose a lot more from that customer than just the purchase price of a stb. You might say not releasing something is annoying a customer but the fact is changing something that causes issues will always cause more complaints than changing something slower (or not at all), it is always a fine line.
    Also BT have a lot more irons in the fire with some 'brand' new stuff coming along.
    So you are correct in that a lot of the decisions that people are not liking at the minute are BT's fault not YouView but other reasons why those decisions are being made will become clearer later.
    That isn't of course agreeing that all BT's decisions are right :)
  • Good post @scott
    I think I may have read you say something similar on Digitalspy recently re the 'brand' new stuff?  ;) I'm a bit of a lurker on other forums but not a poster as some other forums put me off with some of the rubbish that gets posted. If it was your post I read on DS then we are possibly only having to wait until next week to find out what these 'brand' new things are  :)
    (If it wasn't your post please accept my apologies for making an incorrect assumption).
    I can agree 100% with the above in your very reasoned and fair post.
    B)
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    Hi all,

I wanted to update on the feedback here with the current actions that should be available if you have the latest 29.53.0 software for BT (this is still being rolled out to all boxes) -

Watch Live
    Watch Live in HD
    Watch on Demand (this is available for on demand content in the backwards guide and mini guide, it will not appear on linear content)
    Set/ Cancel Reminder
    Set-Up channel
    More Episodes (for on demand content)

BT do not have the feature for Watch List currently so Add/ Remove from MyTV (for on demand content in the backwards guide and mini guide) is currently not available.

Phil
  • robin0800robin0800 Posts: 40Member
    Would you care to explain what " Set-Up channel" means?
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 869Member ✭✭
    edited 27 March 2018, 9:39AM
    robin0800 said:
    Would you care to explain what " Set-Up channel" means
    It would be when you need to setup a IPTV channel  or group of IPTV channels that you haven’t accessed before. So for example if you were a new customer you might need to set up your subscription channel(s) by accessing one of them , similarly if you took out an additional addon eg Sky Movies  you might need to setup up one of the channels , plus if you performed one of the more significant maintenance mode resets you might need to setup a channel. So typically it would only need to be done infrequently and I suspect if  you have no subscription channels not at all.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 272Member ✭✭
    Hi all,

I wanted to update on the feedback here with the current actions that should be available if you have the latest 29.53.0 software for BT (this is still being rolled out to all boxes) -

Watch Live
    Watch Live in HD
    Watch on Demand (this is available for on demand content in the backwards guide and mini guide, it will not appear on linear content)
    Set/ Cancel Reminder
    Set-Up channel

BT do not have the feature for Watch List currently so Add/ Remove from MyTV (for on demand content in the backwards guide and mini guide) is currently not available.

Phil
    Hi Phil. Thanks for this list, but I still don't see "Watch on Demand" or "More Episodes" for on demand content on the backwards guide or mini guide (BT T2100 v29.53.0).
  • John29John29 Posts: 13Member
    This thread has turned into an absolute disgrace. There's about 5 relevant posts.
    Some of us actually want to discuss the software release.

Could you please take anything not related to the software release to another thread.

Hi all,

Watch Live
    Watch Live in HD
    Set/ Cancel Reminder
    Set-Up channel

Phil
    I don't see...
    Watch on Demand
    or
    More Episodes
    on any channel for any programme at any time.

Why is the BT release missing so many of the T2000 features, even though it was months behind?
    edited 27 March 2018, 8:18AM

@Philip Trott I don't believe what you have quoted is the way either Retail (29.44) or BT (29.53) variants work. As per my post above -

'going back to a previous query (not sure if someone answered you or not) regarding the 'on demand' action. The way you described works the same on both the BT and Retail versions. Like you say going back in the guide to a programme that is shown as available 'on demand' doesn't give you that option in the action panel BUT if you search for that same programme it will come up as available in 'on demand' tab and the action to 'watch on demand' is there if you press 'i' on the tile. I think it is a slight bug but one that is there for both retail and bt variants.

As an example look at 'not going out' (series 9 episode 3) It was on bbc1  8:30pm last night and is available on demand. If you find it on the guide it shows as available on demand (triangle symbol) but not shown in the action panel, however if you search for it then it comes up as available on demand and the watch on demand action is available on the tile.'

Sarah said:
    jimb said:
    Sarah said:

You mentioned that if you went back in the guide to an episode of Bargain Hunt on BBC1 which is marked as available on demand, there is no action available in the Action Panel to 'watch on demand'.

Is this the case with other programmes/channels (non-BBC) as well in regards to the 'watch on demand' action? 

Sarah
    As far as I can see this is the case with any programme that is indicated as available on demand.
    No "Watch On Demand" and no "More Episodes".
     :( 
    Thanks Jim. We'll chase this up with the team tomorrow to see if they have any information to share. 

Will update when we can :)

Thanks,
    Sarah

skiller said:

... I still don't see "Watch on Demand" or "More Episodes" for on demand content on the backwards guide or mini guide (BT T2100 v29.53.0).
    John29 said:

I don't see...
    Watch on Demand
    or
    More Episodes
    on any channel for any programme at any time.

scott said:

...As per my post above -

...going back in the guide to a programme that is shown as available 'on demand' doesn't give you that option in the action panel...

As an example look at 'not going out' (series 9 episode 3) It was on bbc1  8:30pm last night and is available on demand. If you find it on the guide it shows as available on demand (triangle symbol) but not shown in the action panel...

@Philip Trott  There seems to be plenty of agreement about this.
    edited 27 March 2018, 9:12AM
    As someone mentioned in the Humax software update 29.44.10 thread:
    ...I can't remember all the actions in the old Action Panel but I'm pretty sure there was "Watch Recording" which is quite important - perhaps you could feed that back.
    Sarah said:
    Hi @jimb ;

I'll feed this back although I think it is something they're looking at including for the Action Panel in the future :) 

Sarah

"Watch Recording" has been implemented in this BT release.
    (Someone listened!)
    So this is Action Panel V2.0

@Philip Trott you need to add this to your list of actions for future reference.
     ;) 

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,944Member ✭✭✭
    I think it’s crazy that the Action Panel doesn’t tell you the channel number of what you are watching when you press Info during a broadcast, but only the name of the channel.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,837Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 March 2018, 10:39PM
    Roy said:
    I think it’s crazy that the Action Panel doesn’t tell you the channel number of what you are watching when you press Info during a broadcast, but only the name of the channel.

Due to the posts and feedback on here it has become apparent the first version of BTs and Retails Action Panel is somewhat 'bitty'. This apparently will be addressed.
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 235Member ✭✭
    edited 17 April 2018, 11:23AM
    I finally got the 29.53.0 update to my BT Youview box. I always seem to be one of the last to get updates or a lestfgor the update 2 or 3 weeks after the updates comes out before box gets the software updates.
    Only the BBC channels in SD come up with watch in HD when you press I. ITV(STV) and channel 4 don’t when you press I.

Darren
  • John C1John C1 Posts: 16Member
    This update has started going out to the retail boxes now, just received last night on my BT DTR-2110. Like Darren above as well the Watch in HD seems only to be available on the BBC channels, same for me on ITV and channel 4.

John.
    John C1 said:
    This update has started going out to the retail boxes now, just received last night on my BT DTR-2110. Like Darren above as well the Watch in HD seems only to be available on the BBC channels, same for me on ITV and channel 4.

John.
    Yes I've also got it.
    So this page is wrong: https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions
    And surely there should have been an announcement here on the forum @Sarah and @Philip Trott ?
  • SarahSarah Posts: 729Administrator admin
    Hi @John C1 & @jimb

Can you please confirm your retail box versions and your ISP?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah said:
    Hi @John C1 & @jimb

Thanks,
    Sarah
    DTR-2110 & TalkTalk.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 729Administrator admin
    Thanks @jimb

We've just checked regarding this and can see that this update has been made available since last night and we got the confirmation comms for it this morning. We will look to improve the communication for these in the future. 

We are in the process of updating our software table to show these updates. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah said:
    Thanks @jimb

We've just checked regarding this and can see that this update has been made available since last night and we got the confirmation comms for it this morning. We will look to improve the communication for these in the future. 

We are in the process of updating our software table to show these updates. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Maybe a new thread announcing it here would be good too (with a reference back to this one). 
    There are probably many forum users who get notifications of new threads (especially announcements) but who don't get notifications for posts within a thread such as this. 
  • Rob PRob P Posts: 31Member
    Hi,
    Also just received 29.53.0 on my BT DTR-T2110. This looks interesting:

Smart Landing on series recordings
    It's now easier to pick up where you left of in a series. When you open a series recording you will land on the most relevant episode.

What would really interest me though is to extend this to the whole My TV library since I'll often be watching something several pages down in the library and want to return to it later which involves lots of scrolling (since it still doesn't wrap... grrr) - ie a Continue feature, bit like Sky+ has...

Thanks,
    Rob
  • John C1John C1 Posts: 16Member
    Sarah said:
    Hi @John C1 & @jimb

Thanks,
    Sarah

DTR-2110 and Sky, ISP configuration 9.
2»