Lost pbs america

chromechrome Member Posts: 6
Hi tried taping pbs America this week on my humax dt2000 however although it was on my guide when I tried watching it it was blank. So tried retuning and now totally gone from my guide.

Having read this:
https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/londoners-struggle-with-freeview.html

I can see it is part of bundle 3 and when retuning have to chose a region which according to the above means you can't get them as its classed as a national channel and not a local one. Therefore i would like to think we are going to get an update soon to resolve tthis problem?

I am also in a flat so could be council haven't retuned communal aerial - another problem listed in above article

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    chrome said:
    Hi tried taping pbs America this week on my humax dt2000 however although it was on my guide when I tried watching it it was blank. So tried retuning and now totally gone from my guide.

Having read this:
    https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/londoners-struggle-with-freeview.html

I can see it is part of bundle 3 and when retuning have to chose a region which according to the above means you can't get them as its classed as a national channel and not a local one.

This is described there as a problem with the tuning algorithm on certain devices. So we should be asking YouView if they fall into this trap, or if they believe their algorithm does not suffer from this issue.

Therefore I would like to think we are going to get an update soon to resolve this problem?

I am also in a flat so could be council haven't retuned communal aerial - another problem listed in above article

Highly likely - and not so much retuned as replaced, if the existing aerial can’t ‘see’ channels 55 and 56. You might like to ask the council what, if anything, they have done, and what, if anything, they propose to do about the aerial, if it is indeed no longer able to pull in the range of channels you had before. Even if all this is Freeview’s fault.

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • chromechrome Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah this is a 2 pronged situation as I don't know which one of the two causes has resulted in my symptom (channel 94 by the way for pbs America at the mo the guide just jumps to 100 skipping that number). Here in Southend we are roughly halfway between crystal palace & Kent aerials, have tried retuning to both to no avail. Both say 186 channels, also tried Anglia which had 185channels. Looks like I'm not seeing PBS's Disney documentary this week!

Is this not the right place to post to find out whether youview needs an update to deal with this national change?
  • chromechrome Member Posts: 6
    Have emailed council got form letter back saying will get response within 10 working days. But my TVs freeview also hasn't got pbs america so suspect its the aerial (and possibly youview as well? Can't rule it out until confirmed things are fine this end)
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    have same problem, have lost about 30 channels, council say the aerial is ok, Freeview say i need new aerial.
    edited 29 March 2018, 8:25PM
    chrome said:

Is this not the right place to post to find out whether youview needs an update to deal with this national change?
    It’s the right place to ask. But it’s worth remembering that at our house, with a modern wideband aerial fitted a year ago, we get every channel we might expect, including PBS America, on all our TVs and all our YouView boxes.

So there doesn’t seem to be this posited ‘Choose Regional, Miss National’ error affecting the tuners on either the YouView boxes or the (all-Samsung) TVs.

Whereas you have the issue on YouView boxes (known not to have the CRMN issue, if our three are anything to go by) and Freeview TV (on makes you haven’t specified) in an area where the previously satisfactory aerials are known to be not necessarily satisfactory any longer.

So I’m not at all sure there is anything YouView haven’t done, or could do, to ameliorate this issue.

If the signal isn’t coming down the wire, the only fix is to change the aerial so that it does.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 30 March 2018, 7:23AM
    have same problem, have lost about 30 channels, council say the aerial is ok, Freeview say i need new aerial.
    Follow the money.

Which one of those two will have to get spendy if it is indeed the aerial?  :p

Meanwhile, can you correlate the about 30 lost channels exactly with those now on COM7 and COM8?