Thinking of leaving BT and go to Plusnet.

MATTHEWMATTHEW Member Posts: 207
Hello,
thinking of leaving BT and going to Plusnet, can you tell me if YouView box will work with Plusnet.

Thanks
Matthew

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    Hi @MATTHEW - a YouView box will work with any ISP (subject to minimum connection speeds for the players etc to run smoothly). Unless you have a subscription though with a YouView related ISP then your box will only run in a broadly retail YouView fashion, i.e. no ISP IPTV channels or player, and any old IPTV recordings will no longer play. Plusnet do offer YouView TV so you could subscribe with them for some TV extras. If you did that then maybe just taking a Plusnet YouView zapper box would be sufficient to then be able to nominate a recorder box you already have as the one to receive the premium content.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 March 2018, 4:28PM
    Yes.

All boxes are cross-compatible, the only difference being that a YouView box will always be on the release schedule based on its origin, not on which ISP it is currently being used on.

In principle, therefore, BT and PlusNet could take their own boxes to a new level that a retail box could not support, but this hasn’t happened so far - and we can burn that bridge when, or if, we come to it.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • John C1John C1 Member Posts: 33
    Hi MATTHEW

I've just made a similar switch from Sky to Plusnet, it'll take 10 working days to get the fibre broadband setup then I'll be ordering the zapper box and trying my retail 2110 on the plusnet service. From what Keith, Roy and everything else I've read I should be fine watching the entertainment package channels on it.

I'll post back once I'm up and running.
  • stereohavenstereohaven Member Posts: 65
    edited 8 April 2018, 11:40AM
    I am currently moving the other way, so can I give you the following pointers about Plusnet and YouView:

1. You can use the YouView box you have for Freeview and the catch-up players/Netflix/NOW TV, without issue straight away
    2. If you choose to add subscription channels from Plusnet, they will need you to order a YouView box from them as it appears to be the only way that they can open a TV account
    3. If you are happy with the box you have, then you can order the "zapper" box, sometimes for free, to get the TV account opened
    4. You can then use your existing box to receive the subscription channels
    5. The subscription channels are cheaper than with BT, but they don't have access to all of them, nor are all of the HD versions available that you get with BT

Other than that, be warned that the Plusnet Hub One Wi-Fi is awful IMHO. If you have a BT Smart Hub 6 I would keep it and then swap it for the Hub One. 
    That is good to hear and how I expect it will go for me re' youview and the TV side, however;

Other than that, be warned that the Plusnet Hub One Wi-Fi is awful IMHO. If you have a BT Smart Hub 6 I would keep it and then swap it for the Hub One. 
    That is a concern and something that I've read about, although there are conflicting views on it, some say by turning off the smart connect or whatever it is and splitting the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands have given a better wifi signal, also people have tried to get onto a less congested channel. I guess I'll see but I'm a ways of it yet as I'm still waiting on the telephone, hub and my account to go live. At the moment I have a Sky Q router and it seems to give fantastic coverage, the best I've ever had as far as wifi is concerned. The zapper box will be my choice for TV and I'll just use my retail 2110.

Thanks for pointing out the possibly poor wifi with the One Hub but fingers crossed I'll be one of the happy ones :smile:
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    I use Plusnet fibre with a retail Youview box. Thankfully I don't suffer from the BT branding issue reported by some Youview users with BT fibre. Having said that the extra tv channels in the guide are visible, and turn up in search results too. I've hidden ( a Youview feature) the extra Plusnet channels in the guide, but search results will still pick them out - Its not too problematic though. 
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 212 ✭✭
    I have the same configuration as Joe, I've not subscribed to PlusNet TV and have hidden the channels, though they're way up in the 200's in the guide and I never venture that far :) 
    I replaced the older Thomson router with a TP-Link Archer C9 to get Gigabit ports and AC Wi-Fi, it was seamless to switch out requiring just my PlusNet login - then it configured itself. But the old Thomson was reasonably stable and if I need to I can switch over should support require me to, so far they've been OK with the Archer (on the one time I needed to call), but then I do also have  a BT Modem in front of the router so line issues if any would be at that point in the chain.
    Joe said:
    I use Plusnet fibre with a retail Youview box. Thankfully I don't suffer from the BT branding issue reported by some Youview users with BT fibre. Having said that the extra tv channels in the guide are visible, and turn up in search results too. I've hidden ( a Youview feature) the extra Plusnet channels in the guide, but search results will still pick them out - Its not too problematic though. 
    Everyone is on BT fibre, unless they are with Virgin, as BT Overreach serves every ISP, at least back to the exchange.

It’s having BT as your ISP that gets you the BT branding; and even on PlusNet, they have branding of their own, which it seems you are getting, if its channels appear on your YouView box.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:

It’s having BT as your ISP that gets you the BT branding; and even on PlusNet, they have branding of their own, which it seems you are getting, if its channels appear on your YouView box.
    The Plusnet branding is low-key on my retail box. You're only aware of it if you happen upon the extra channels in the guide or through search. There's no app or Plusnet logo visible on my Youview box. I was under the impression that BT, as an ISP, have their logo visible on retail boxes even if you don't have a tv package with them?
    Just reporting back what I have found in switching to PlusNet and using my retail BT DTR-2110; it is as everyone has outlined in this thread working fine with the PlusNet IP channels, I even had it up and running before the zapper box I had ordered had arrived.

One oddity was that my old ISP (Sky), was staying in the configuration, ISP config number 9. How I changed this was to perform an update, this very quickly must have noticed the change to PlusNet and immediately asked me to perform a reboot, it was then changed to 1116. After the reboot all the subscription channels were then found and in the guide. Selecting one of them asked me to sign in or configure the service, a couple of seconds later they were active and working.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2018, 3:00PM
    Somebody should tell Plusnet.

On https://www.plus.net/tv/ right at the bottom, FAQ number 9:

Yeah it is odd, all their literature and even replies from mods in the community point out that their TV service will only work with a PlusNet supplied device. I'd imagine they justify it for support reasons...
    edited 30 April 2018, 7:22AM
    Since PlusNet boxes have unique hardware codes, PlusNet could, in principle, enforce the requirement to use a PlusNet box to get PlusNet services.

Question is, would YouView let them? Or, to stand it on its head given the byzantine relationship between YouView and BT who own PlusNet, could YouView stop them?

At the moment, the effect of the ‘restriction’ is that you can’t have a service-only deal with PlusNet, you have to have a box from them; but as people have found, you can just make this a zapper box, and still use an existing YouView box for the full service.

Certainly there are support considerations though, especially if the BT and PlusNet services diverge more radically from the retail service.

Something we have seen talked about; and just as some people here fear that continuing to support the T1000 is holding YouView development back, perhaps we should fear that the current ‘any box, any service’ approach, with the complications it must cause for the different YouView box types out there, all on different software releases, is doing likewise, and may be something YouView will need to reconsider.