How to rewind a program that has already started

GmanGman Posts: 2Member
Hi there,
I am new to BTTV (2 Days) I have had EE for 3 years. I'd like to be able to restart from the beginning a program I have just tuned into. This is a program I have not scheduled to record and I was not tuned it on to start with. turn the tv on, the program is halfway, how can I restart from the beginning?

I could do that on EE, can i do it on EE?

thanks

Gio

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,526Member ✭✭✭
    Sadly not. EE had a novel feature where it was effectively recording a selection of channels permanently in the background, so that you could pick them up at any time. No other device does that as far as I know. The only thing that comes close is the Restart feature on BBC iPlayer.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,762Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2018, 6:27PM
    Gman said:
    Hi there,
    I am new to BTTV (2 Days) I have had EE for 3 years. I'd like to be able to restart from the beginning a program I have just tuned into. This is a program I have not scheduled to record and I was not tuned it on to start with. turn the tv on, the program is halfway, how can I restart from the beginning?

I could do that on EE, can I do it on BT TV?

thanks

Gio
    Hi @Gman

As the box does not know which channel you are going to tune to,  it would have to record every channel out there to do what you want, which I don’t think even EE could do.

But I dare say EE could possibly restart from the beginning of the programme on the channel(s) the box was currently tuned to? YouView can’t, though; it can only restart from the point you switched the box on.

(YouView, why don’t you record the current programme when in Standby, to do more of what Gio (and lots of other people) want?)

However, if the programme you want is available on catchup, and the catchup service can do ‘Start from the beginning’ - the BBC iPlayer certainly can, I don’t know about the others though - you can watch it that way.

Though you have to go into the particular player and find it, as the current/backwards EPG will only drop you into the live programme, at time now.

(YouView, why don’t you offer the ‘Start from the beginning’ option, for those live programmes where it is available, and play it from the catchup player if that option is selected, to make this option more straightforward for Gio (and no doubt lots of other people here too)?)

As soon as you have provided ‘Jump to minute’ first, of course.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Roy said:

As the box does not know which channel you are going to tune to,  it would have to record every channel out there to do what you want, which I don’t think even EE could do.
    Yes it could, that's the point.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 953Member ✭✭
    Gman said:
    ... I'd like to be able to restart from the beginning a program I have just tuned into...
    If the programme you've just tuned to is one of the BBC channels you can press the red button (after the programme has been running for a few seconds) and that offers the option of taking you directly to the start of the programme in the iPlayer.

It's an excellent facility I use it all the time.
     :) 

• GmanGman Posts: 2Member
    Thanks, guys! lets' start campaigning. .. I would not have expected EE to be more advanced than BT on this.. must be all the money spent on football right 
    edited 3 May 2018, 8:45AM
    redchiz said:
    Roy said:

Yes it could, that's the point.
    Please excuse my scepticism here. Even you said ‘selection’ above.

And even recording whole muxes, which I think it could do, it would need eight tuners to get everything, wouldn’t it?

And this page says:-

Replay and Restart

With Replay, you can watch programmes that have been broadcast during the last day on up to eight of your favourite channels. Tuned in halfway through a programme? With Restart you can skip straight back to the beginning.

It’s not absolutely clear that Restart is likewise limited to those eight favourite channels, but I think it must be. And I would bet that those channels need to be across a maximum of four muxes, as the box has ‘only’ four tuners to capture recordings.

Still wildly more than YouView can offer, of course....

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    OK, not "every." 
    jimb said:
    Gman said:
    ... I'd like to be able to restart from the beginning a program I have just tuned into...
    If the programme you've just tuned to is one of the BBC channels you can press the red button (after the programme has been running for a few seconds) and that offers the option of taking you directly to the start of the programme in the iPlayer.

It's an excellent facility I use it all the time.
     :) 

It just did better than that for me. Starting a BBC programme a few minutes late, the red button was overlaid, without me touching anything, with a message that said that to watch from the start, I could just press the green button.

I wonder if this is new, or just something I never noticed before?

As we felt we hadn’t missed anything, we didn’t press green, and after a little while, the message dismissed itself.