Not recording in standby since upgrade to 29.104.0

Sgt_BilkoSgt_Bilko Posts: 66Member
As mentioned in this thread, my 10 series box appears to be no longer recording in standby and it's started since the automatic upgrade to 29.104.0. Any suggestions on what to try without losing all our recordings? 

Comments

• Tim CTim C Posts: 273Member ✭✭
    Not connected with that upgrade I think as this has become quite a widespread issue on all Humax Youview variants , both on OldGen & NextGen software. No idea about the TalkTalk boxes.
  • Sgt_BilkoSgt_Bilko Posts: 66Member
    Mine was a BT box, but no longer with them. This is a real pain if the box cannot be in standby mode to record something. 
  • Max2010Max2010 Posts: 28Member
    Mine did the same initially then locked up and would not change channel; even with new batteries. I rest the software and it goes into maintenance mode now!
    None of this is looking terribly clever at the moment and we have a bunch of recordings that sound as though they may be at risk if the instability continues. My wife only watches a series once every episode has been recorded. 
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,152Member ✭✭✭
    Sgt_Bilko said:
    we have a bunch of recordings that sound as though they may be at risk
    Recordings on a PVR hard drive are always at risk Sarge. Panasonic PVR manuals state that The HDD is a temporary storage device and I don't think that YouView boxes are any different.

Have you tried an eight second software re-boot or a Maintenance Mode reset? Options 2 and 4 should preserve your recordings (https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode).

If your box still mis-behaves after a re-set then it is possible that it is failing. T10x0 boxes are getting on now and they don't have a reputation for longevity. It might be a good idea to watch your recordings while your box is still able to play them and in the meantime consider what to replace it with.
    @Sarah

It took a few attempts, but I eventually managed to perform a software reset, after which it wouldn't identify the source, however a second restart fixed that.

Curiously it then showed up at the top of the screen as BT TV inside the interface and when I set a program to record before switching to standby as a test I noticed the graphic looked different. Also the background on selected programs was now white. Something had clearly changed, so I set it to record something at 12.30pm and then put it in standby mode, but this time it recorded properly.

Out of curiosity I checked for updates and it said there was one, so it restarted after installing and then I found myself back with the non BT interface. I set it to record a program at 1.00pm and put it in standby mode. After a few minutes I went to check and that was recording as well from the start. 

It seems to be working now but it does raise questions over the update reliability. 

edited 17 May 2018, 6:33PM
    Sgt_Bilko said:
    It seems to be working now but it does raise questions over the update reliability.
    Pleased that you got your box working as it should Sarge. Long may it continue.

Software updates can be problematic, particularly if the hardware is ageing. I have a Windows 7 computer that tried to update itself to Windows 10 a few years ago. It didn't complete, so I did a clean install of W10. It worked fine until a feature update came along, which didn't complete. I did another clean install, which again worked fine until the next feature update. Same thing. Now I dread the release of feature updates :/ .

Our T1000 YouView box is over five years old. It completed the upgrade to V.29.104.0 successfully, but every time that we use it I consider it to be a bonus. If it failed tonight we would lose our recordings, but it owes us nothing. It's a remarkable machine and the lost recorded programmes would probably be repeated within a few months.
    edited 18 May 2018, 10:32AM
    At a guess ours is 3-4 years old. I've actually been through a few of these going back to 2013 and had an awful lot of problems, but I suspect it was related to the BT supplied power line adaptors. On the third or fourth box we switched to a direct Ethernet connection that extended around the skirting board and it's essentially been reliable since then, but I've never known for sure if it was the box itself or the connection that made the difference. 

I still think the upgrade process with YouView boxes is a bit ropey to say the least. Resetting the software yesterday turned it back into a BT branded box and then another update minutes later reversed that. 

Sgt_Bilko said:
    At a guess ours is 3-4 years old. I've actually been through a few of these going back to 2013 and had an awful lot of problems, but I suspect it was related to the BT supplied power line adaptors. On the third or fourth box we switched to a direct Ethernet connection that extended around the skirting board and it's essentially been reliable since then, but I've never known for sure if it was the box itself or the connection that made the difference.
    We had problems with PLAs that disappeared when I replaced them with a cable. The main issue was interruptions to the service when watching catch-up TV with adverts.
    Sgt_Bilko said:
    I still think the upgrade process with YouView boxes is a bit ropey to say the least.
    It does seem to be problematic at times, particularly with the older T10x0 boxes. I think that the latest software is probably close to the limit of what the hardware can handle. Ours missed some recordings after an update a while ago, but an eight second re-set sorted it out. It is easier and quicker to do than the Mainternace Mode re-sets. If you are not familiar with it, it is this:

"Press and hold the YouView button on your box for 8 seconds, then let go. You’ll be greeted with a friendly ‘Hello’ telling you that your box has restarted."

Thanks I'll remember that for future reference, since the software reset took a few attempts before it finally appeared. I wouldn't be surprised if the software updates are primarily aimed at newer boxes, since we see the same thing with OS updates on the computer where older hardware is given less consideration. On Macs for example my old iMac has only received security updates for the last couple years. 

I basically plan on keeping this box until it dies or becomes completely unworkable, because I can't really see a justification for spending money on something new that essentially does the same job. Most of our TV viewing now is on Netflix or Amazon Prime, so it's only a case of recording a few programs every week on YouView. Sometimes I record something out of curiosity and it takes months before I finally sit down to watch it.