[Discussion] Android app update 11.1.10

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
Hi all,

Please feel free to feedback on the latest Android 11.1.10 update in this thread.

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 985Member ✭✭
    edited 17 April 2018, 6:53PM
    If anyone is interested (and they rarely are in this forum when it comes to privacy issues), as far as I can see the main change to the Mobile Terms and Conditions is the addition of the following section between the dotted lines:

4.8 We may disclose and use anonymised, aggregated reporting and statistics about users of the Application for the purpose of internal reporting or reporting to our content or other service providers, and for our marketing and promotion purposes. None of these anonymised, aggregated reports or statistics will enable our users to be personally identified.

.........................................................................................................

• If you provide us with the information set out in paragraph 4.3 then we will only use it for the purposes of answering your query *
    • We consider that the legal basis for using your personal information as set out in this privacy policy is that such use is necessary either:
    • in order to provide the YouView service to you as set out in this Application terms and conditions (which constitutes a contract for the provision of the YouView services); or
    • for our legitimate interests in providing the YouView services, in particular to provide the YouView services in a commercially suitable way which is tailored to your use and interests.
    • In the future, use of your personal information may be subject to your consent (which can be withdrawn at any time, as described below). Where this is the case, that need for consent will be identified in this privacy policy.
    • If, in the future, we rely on your consent for us to use your personal information in a particular way, but you later change your mind, you may withdraw your consent by contacting us via the method set out in the “Contact Us” section of the privacy policy (http://www.youview.com/privacy/product/) and we will stop doing so.

How long we store your information

• We will keep your personal information for two years from the date you cease using the Application.

International transfers

• From time to time, some of our service providers (in particular, Microsoft, Inc) may provide services to us from territories that are outside the UK or the European Economic Area (the “EEA“), such as the USA.  Territories outside the UK and EEA may not offer the same level of protection for personal information as the UK or members of the EEA.
    • However, if we provide any Personal Data about you to any such non-EEA service providers, we take appropriate measures to ensure those service providers protect your personal information adequately. These measures include:

4.16.1.            in the case of USA based service providers, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield (see further https://www.privacyshield.gov/welcome); or

4.16.2.            in the case of service providers based in other countries outside the EEA or USA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.

Your rights and contacts

• Detail about your rights and how to contact us is available in sections 9 and 12 of our Privacy & Cookies Policy (http://www.youview.com/privacy/product/).
    • Finally, please note that your use of the Application may also be subject to the privacy policy of the digital marketplace from which you download the Application (such as iTunes or Google Play).
    .........................................................................................................

5. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND SOFTWARE LICENCES
    • We reserve all of our intellectual property rights.
    • The Application and any software developed by us or by any third parties in connection with the Application is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis and, except as required by law, we do not make any representations or warranties or guarantees either express, implied or statutory.

*  4.3 says "You may ask us a question and provide us with feedback via the Application and you have the option to provide your name."
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,852Member ✭✭✭
    And your opinion on that? Because you don't say?
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,852Member ✭✭
    You know since this update the connection issues I have had with the app have vanished. Very odd if all this update was only to alter the terms and conditions. Maybe just a happy accident that worked out for me.
  • dogtaniandogtanian Posts: 9Member
    Sadly this version of the app hasn't resolved my connection problems, I still cannot connect and remote record...….ahhh well
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,049Member ✭✭✭
    Clause 1.4 says’....For the avoidance of doubt is your sole responsibility to check that the Application is compatible with your device before downloading.’

There is a missing ‘it’ after ‘doubt’.

Clause 1.6 says ‘Up to five (5) devices may use the Application with a single YouView device.’

I believe this restriction no longer applies in NextGen, and you can link an effectively unlimited number of devices now.

(Which, if it looks anything like the display on my YouView box, consists of about 15 entries duplicating about six real devices).

Question: is my Android device paired with a particular one of the three entries I have for it, so I have to be careful which ones I delete - or more exactly, since I can’t tell them apart, delete them all and re-pair the device - or can I delete any two at random and have the third reliably keep the pairing alive?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • StephenStephen Posts: 651Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    Question: is my Android device paired with a particular one of the three entries I have for it, so I have to be careful which ones I delete - or more exactly, since I can’t tell them apart, delete them all and re-pair the device - or can I delete any two at random and have the third reliably keep the pairing alive?
    The former - each entry in the list is for a pairing against a particular YouView Client Instance ID, which is set up inside the app whenever you pair it. The pairings aren't against a particular phone device ID or similar that might remain more constant. So in your case, one pairing will be "active" and the others not.
    Thanks Stephen

So can you fix things for us so that we don’t see duplicate instances of a single device, assuming this is an avoidable bug?

Or possibly expose the Client Instance ID, on the box and on the device, so we can see what is paired with what?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    It has been "fixed" in upcoming versions of box software, in that when you unpair from either end, the cloud pairing system is notified and you'll no longer be able to see the pairing in the list on the box. You will always be able to uninstall the app or flush your phone down the toilet, then we won't get to hear about it, nor do we have any kind of timeout, so the pairing will remain, regardless of it being "orphaned".
    Current box software is showing you a list of pairings held locally though, so unpairing doesn't drop anything.
    Thanks Stephen

I was aware that flushing your phone can hardly flush the pairing  :p  

However, in the app delete scenario, I guess you could recognise my phone by its unique MAC address, or somesuch, if I come back to re-pair, and reuse the existing entry, or at least delete it when creating a new one (whichever is more straightforward).

Are you contemplating anything like this?

Well, if the phone has lost your Client Instance ID from your previous pairing, we don't store any longer-lived IDs such as device IDs against them to re-identify you later. As a rule, we don't want to store user-identifiable IDs against pairings or accounts. If we did want to clear up multiple pairings, a better approach might be to show you the last activity date on any pairing, but that isn't something that's readily available at the moment either. There's nothing problematic about having multiple dormant pairings though, apart from visual clutter in the list.
  • alal Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭
    edited 8 May 2018, 9:53AM
    I noticed that MyTV recordings hasn't updated on the app (11.1.10) for a few days. I wondered if it's too full as there are over 100 recordings (no folders on the app). I deleted a few but still no change. I disconnected the app from the box, reconnected (btw the app says press ok, but you need to press allow) and still the same. I'm pretty sure the missing recordings had been set from the app. The recordings are safe and sound on the yv box.

EDIT: It seems that although the app doesn't go and collect the missing recordings when there is space, the new ones do get added when recorded.  So now my app has a few missing recordings but is now being updated again with new ones. I imagine this will continue to happen until I remove my 50 episodes of Danger Mouse.
  • richwxm1987richwxm1987 Posts: 3Member
    I have just downloaded the app from google play and it shows up failed recordings. They don't show on the box either. Is there a fix for it?
    edited 9 May 2018, 7:27PM
    al said:
    So now my app has a few missing recordings but is now being updated again with new ones. I imagine this will continue to happen until I remove my 50 episodes of Danger Mouse.

Sounds like a manifold Penfold issue....
    I have just downloaded the app from google play and it shows up failed recordings. They don't show on the box either. Is there a fix for it?
    The app is simply reflecting what is on the box, which is where the failed recordings are.

There is a fix page for failed recordings you can work through, but like you, this has only started happening recently to me, so it is either something in a recent release, or an artefact of the extensive retuning that most of us have had to do lately.

Either way, it is something for YouView to investigate and fix.
  • dogtaniandogtanian Posts: 9Member
    My 2 Honor 7x phones got updated last night to Android 8 and I tried the YV app again and I am pleased to say that it now works fine