[Discussion] Humax retail software update 29.104.0

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 8 May 2018, 5:30PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Please feel free to discuss the latest Humax retail software update 29.104.0 in this discussion thread.
Tagged:

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,411Member, Champion mod
    Hi @Philip Trott - your link above is incorrect.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 882Administrator admin
    Edited! The link should now work :) 

Thanks Keith! 
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,011Member ✭✭
    Great thanks! I thought the old 1010 was left behind.
  • MalGMalG Posts: 2Member
    Have to say that I’ve been having a number of issues with the latest update that has required reboot the Humax several times a day.
    Have yet to determine a usage pattern that could be the root cause. 
    The one common factor is having the box on for a long time, over 8 or more hours of continual usage, include watching a mix of recording and live programmes, with a bit of myTV access to delete watched programmes. 
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,192Member ✭✭✭
    T10x0 boxes are getting quite old now and it is possible that the problem that you are experiencing with yours is symptomatic of failing hardware. As the boxes age their capacitors tend to drift off spec and they generate more heat than they should, affecting other components such as the hard drive. The fact that it plays up after it has been on a while would suggest that this might be the case with yours.

How old is your box? Does it get hot after it has been on a while?
  • Sgt_BilkoSgt_Bilko Posts: 66Member
    Yesterday I had the box scheduled to record the Grand Prix, so I carried on working at the computer with the TV and YouView box left on standby. I came down to watch it just a few minutes before the recording was due to end and after I woke up the YouView box a message appeared saying the race was now being recorded...

The problem is that it hadn't started recording until the blue light was showing on the box, rather than the orange, so I only ended up with the last 5 minutes, while they were talking about the race.

This has happened since the box automatically upgraded to 29.104.0 and has never occurred before. I'm on one of the old 10 series boxes. 
    Hi @Sgt_Bilko

I've dropped you an email regarding this so we can investigate further :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 171Member
    This is a widespread problem. Taking a while to find out what the bug is in the software update.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 332Member ✭✭
    All seems to have happened since the Freeview re-tunes in April, but only on Youview boxes & perhaps only the Humax ones at that.
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 171Member
    edited 14 May 2018, 3:33PM
    Happens on my T2100 and I am not in an area that has had to retune.
  • Sgt_BilkoSgt_Bilko Posts: 66Member
    Sarah said:
    Hi @Sgt_Bilko

I've dropped you an email regarding this so we can investigate further :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hello Sarah, 

For some reason your message didn't show up in my inbox here, but I did receive it by email on my computer. To answer your questions I'm on the recommended smart standby and connected by a direct ethernet cable. 

• MalGMalG Posts: 2Member
    Again, today I’ve had my YouView box freeze up after just over an hour of use, switching between pre-recorded programmes and live TV every 10-15 mins or so. Fast-forwarding the pre-recorded programme to selected elements to watch and deleting programmes once finished. I do not except the argument that it is the age of the device. 
    I work in the software industry and simple believe that the current YouView software is not fit for purpose and full of bugs. Problems started when the interface was “updated” to the new UI design (loosing many features in the process) during the switch last year and has got worst since latest update. If not fit for older hardware the update(s) should not have been forced upon older devices.  
    Frankly I will not recommend YouView to anyone now, and will not be buying another YouView based box.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,929Member ✭✭✭
    How old is your retail box, MalG?
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,192Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 May 2018, 12:23AM
    MalG said:
    I do not except the argument that it is the age of the device.
    The age of the device is not the issue per se. Our 5+ year old T1000 runs the latest software without any problems. The issue is failing hardware, which becomes more likely as the device ages.
  • andyyvandyyv Posts: 1Member
    edited 22 May 2018, 11:02AM
    I forcibly received this update at about the same time I read this article 

Head of Test at YouView gives tips to shipping good quality code

Google it - it really made me laugh. I worked in software development for over 30 years. If I produced such poor code as this I would be thoroughly ashamed and, as a contractor,expect to be 'let go'. Let alone for it 'pass' any sort of testing phase. The only reason I discovered I had a new update was when trying to track down the constant freezes that suddenly started happening and having to cycle the mains every day. To say this is due to failing hardware is ludicrous. Hardware was fine, new update and suddenly my hardware (and an awful lot of others') is now mysteriously failing? I think not. Was this tested at all? Just this morning I found the box had not gone to sleep, BBC1 was showing fine except the title and progress bar was showing, the picture was dimmed and it would not respond to any button presses - only possible action was to  cycle the mains. Often the box decides to have a bit of a snooze for 2 or 3 minutes and then whizzes through all the key presses at top speed that you have aimlessly been pressing to get the thing to respond. This is ALL since the new upgrade.
    The only failing hardware is the shoddy remote where buttons fail to respond.
  • hulmitehulmite Posts: 2Member
    The same thing happened to me. Switched box on. Saw the ''Now recording...' message for a recording which should have started 50 minutes prior. The result was the last 10 minutes being recorded of a 1 hr programme.

Sgt_Bilko said:
    Yesterday I had the box scheduled to record the Grand Prix, so I carried on working at the computer with the TV and YouView box left on standby. I came down to watch it just a few minutes before the recording was due to end and after I woke up the YouView box a message appeared saying the race was now being recorded...

The problem is that it hadn't started recording until the blue light was showing on the box, rather than the orange, so I only ended up with the last 5 minutes, while they were talking about the race.

This has happened since the box automatically upgraded to 29.104.0 and has never occurred before. I'm on one of the old 10 series boxes. 

• hulmitehulmite Posts: 2Member
    Smart landing is a problem for me when I want to view the oldest of many recordings of a series. Scrolling back from the last viewed to the oldest takes forever.  Either need a jump to oldest facility or revert to oldest first policy of previous version.
  • countryman2countryman2 Posts: 15Member
    Damn. I wish I'd thought to check this forum first before going out and buying a new DTR-T2000 as I too thought that it was the hardware failing - having to keep re-powering the machine to get it to respond and/or having recordings dropping out stuff in the middle.   As others have said, Youview software testing is pretty poor.
    Damn. I wish I'd thought to check this forum first before going out and buying a new DTR-T2000 as I too thought that it was the hardware failing - having to keep re-powering the machine to get it to respond and/or having recordings dropping out stuff in the middle. 
    Hi @countryman2
    When you say that your box is not responding, can you confirm what you mean?

Have you tried rebooting it using the button on the front of the box? If not, you can do this by pressing and holding it for about 8 seconds and then it should display a 'waking up' screen. This is usually the best way to reboot the box as opposed to turning it off and on again at the plug socket. 

We're currently investigating an issue with recordings failing altogether however from the reports we've received so far, we've not seen any where the recording missed the middle but successfully recorded the first and last parts of the recording. Can you explain what is happening in a bit more detail so we can understand the issue better?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah

It ignores the remote control.  The control is fine.  Even did a Factory Reset but now realise that that was futile. Re gaps in the recording...exactly what it says.  A programme recorded that should have been 30 minutes ended up at about 15!

I also have noticed that it completely makes up its own mind as to whether or not something has been watched or not.  It happens both on the old box and on the new one.  I put it down to lousy software.  
    Just noticed that the new one has made two recordings of the same programme, same time, same channel.  I really have no faith in this box anymore
    Hi @countryman2
    We would suggest you try doing a remote control reset in case this helps with the response rate issue. 
    Thanks for explaining the issue in a bit more detail, this is what we usually call clipped recordings. This is when the recording ends earlier than it's scheduled to. There are many reasons this could happen however if it's happening to most of your recordings then it does sound like your box has an issue. Generally a Factory Reset will rid the box of anything which is making it not work as intended so if this has not helped the situation, we would recommend that you return it if it's within warranty for a replacement box. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Hazydayz72Hazydayz72 Posts: 1Member
    For years i have loved my t1010 and never encountered issues. Now it freezes when deleting, regularly fails to record. There seems no pattern, doesnt matter if it trys to record when it is on or off. Sometimes it says its recorded a programme only to find its not there. Ive checked settings and updates i can find on these threads with no joy. Humax please sort it out!! 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,330Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 June 2018, 7:38AM
    For years i have loved my t1010 and never encountered issues. Now it freezes when deleting, regularly fails to record. There seems no pattern, doesnt matter if it trys to record when it is on or off. Sometimes it says its recorded a programme only to find its not there. Ive checked settings and updates i can find on these threads with no joy. Humax please sort it out!! 
    We might well all think that the longevity and reliability of the original T10x0 boxes leaves a lot to be desired, though by their nature, longevity issues emerge only years after first launch.

And Humax have sorted this out, in the T2000 and subsequent boxes, if too late for us original T10x0 owners.

I presume, @Hazydayz72, that you have tried the soft reset, and some of the Maintenance Mode options, to no lasting effect?

If so, then I fear you are looking at failed hardware. Depending on what it is, there are two regular remedies; the easy one, albeit at the cost of losing your recordings, is to swap out the hard disc.

Though this will not help if you have the other common issue, capacitors that have drifted out of spec. A search of this forum will turn up details of how this can be remedied, if you are handy with a soldering iron, or can access someone who is.

It would have been a nice gesture perhaps, from YouView or from Humax, if those who could demonstrate long ownership of a now-failed T10x0 could receive a voucher towards a newer box. But I expect it would be quite an administrative burden to check the veracity of such claims  :/

‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley