Signal quality on Com 8

Paul FoxPaul Fox Posts: 28Member
Evening all. I've got a signal issue on Com 8 (BBC News HD, BBC 4HD, etc). I lose the signal and get the error message YVM302. When I check the signal quality in the Settings menu, it sporadically jumps from 0 to 100% while keeping a 100% Signal Strength.
I've got Freeview on the TV, which can manually tune. When I try, it cannot find Com 8 (Channel 33) at all. 
They were all fine yesterday (and all good after the latest re-tune). Is this atmospheric pressure related? aerial is pointing towards Crystal Palace as i am in North London. 

Comments

• zulu17zulu17 Posts: 877Member ✭✭
    Crystal Palace uses channel 55 for Com7  and Channel 56 for COM8 

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,042Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 May 2018, 6:05AM
    zulu17 said:
    Crystal Palace uses channel 55 for Com7  and Channel 56 for COM8 

but carried COM7 (not COM8) on channel 33 until the March 21st switchover.

DigitalUK recommended a complete retune, not just ‘scan for new channels’, after March 21, which might explain the phantom channel you still see on 33 if this was on a Freeview TV not having had a complete retune.

But can’t explain it on a YouView box, which always does a complete retune.

Though if you think it hasn’t, pull the aerial and retune, which should clear everything out, and then put the aerial back in and tune again.

Another issue might be your aerial group, as many London aerials don’t reach channels 55 and 56 - though you say your setup was fine after the March 21 retune.

Maybe you got a signal from 55 and 56, but it was marginal, and is now lost?

Check your signal strength and quality on various COM7 and COM8 channels, and let us know the results you get.

EDIT: Amended 06:05 14/05/2018 as per @Anaglypta’s correction below.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 721Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 May 2018, 2:02AM
    Roy said:

Another issue might be your aerial group, as many London aerials don’t reach channels 54 and 55 - though you say your setup was fine after the March 21 retune.

Maybe you got a signal from 54 and 55, but it was marginal, and is now lost?

Check your signal strength and quality on various COM7 and COM8 channels, and let us know the results you get.
    Or even 55 and 56 which are the new national channels for COM7 and COM8. ;)

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • Paul FoxPaul Fox Posts: 28Member
    Cheers guys. I will try the fresh scan on the youview box.
    Right, so i tried the re-tune after clearing all the channels as suggested. Still have the same issue :-(
    And these channels are fine on your TV?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Roy said:
    No, they are the same as the YV box.
    edited 23 May 2018, 10:03PM
    Paul Fox said:
    Roy said:
    No, they are the same as the YV box.
    Ah - you don’t have a YouView problem, as such, then.

I suspect you have the classic ‘London aerial’ problem:-

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/reception_guide

Such that where a Group A aerial used to suffice, or a Group K, you now need a Group T at least, or maybe even a Group W, to pull in 55 and 56.

Best talk to a local aerial fitter about the issue.
    This is the current aerial in the loft.

Would it cost much to replace?
  • John LJohn L Posts: 74Member
    Hi Paul.
    Very CHEAP if you can afford £27/£40 ish depending on either 32/48 element aerial & the GOOD NEWS! If you can do simple DIY you should be able to change over this Weekend if Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1077582 or a local DIY store have one. Why pay someone to do work if you can get into your loft? The aerial should be a simple fit, just keep in same direction/if you need to check setting, use a compass & you will find details online to help. We had same problem with outside aerial, then remembered I also fitted a loft aerial many years back for upstairs feed. I have now connected downstairs feed to upstairs + used an extra Signal amp (approx £15+ or less if needed). Good luck if you have a go. You will be proud of doing job yourself! + save at least £100! The kits even come with extra cable & clips. Hope this may help you. John L
    edited 26 May 2018, 5:59PM
    Even cheaper might be to make it horizontal, as it is supposed to be, and see if that brings any improvement.

I’m also wondering what the chances are that the beam it is attached to is pointing to Crystal Palace; as it looks as if it is aligned with the beam, rather than the transmitter.

The compass that @John L mentions is your friend here, and may have a bearing on the matter.
    edited 26 May 2018, 8:39PM
    Roy said:

The compass that @John L mentions is your friend here, and may have a bearing on the matter.
    Oh Roy! did you really say that! Your puns get worse. :p

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • jimbjimb Posts: 985Member ✭✭
    I think you've identified the cardinal points there @Roy.
     :p 

Anaglypta said:
    Roy said:

Oh Roy! did you really say that! Your puns get worse. :p

John.
    Are you accusing me of boxing clever?  :s
    Roy said:
    Even cheaper might be to make it horizontal, as it is supposed to be, and see if that brings any improvement.

I’m also wondering what the chances are that the beam it is attached to is pointing to Crystal Palace; as it looks as if it is aligned with the beam, rather than the transmitter.

Double checked, and it is pointing towards Crystal palace :-)
    John L said:
    Hi Paul.
    Very CHEAP if you can afford £27/£40 ish depending on either 32/48 element aerial & the GOOD NEWS! If you can do simple DIY you should be able to change over this Weekend if Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1077582 or a local DIY store have one. Why pay someone to do work if you can get into your loft? The aerial should be a simple fit, just keep in same direction/if you need to check setting, use a compass & you will find details online to help. We had same problem with outside aerial, then remembered I also fitted a loft aerial many years back for upstairs feed. I have now connected downstairs feed to upstairs + used an extra Signal amp (approx £15+ or less if needed). Good luck if you have a go. You will be proud of doing job yourself! + save at least £100! The kits even come with extra cable & clips. Hope this may help you. John L
    Hi John l, how do i know if i need the 32 or 48 element aerial?
    Is it literally un-clip the brown cable on my old one then attach it to the new aerial?
  • ukstevesuksteves Posts: 4Member
    I have a similar issue, we live between Poole and Wimborne in Dorset, and receive our signal from Rowridge on the Isle of Wight.  Using a loft based aerial and signal booster, every channel used to work perfectly. But after the two re-tune events in March and May, COM7 and COM8 have become unwatchable.  COM7 works intermittently (but with poor signal quality), and although COM8 can be found, there's basically no signal.  Someone suggested that this is because we're some distance from the transmitter - which is currently broadcasting COM7 and COM8 at a low power level.  Have bought and installed a high gain wide band aerial - still no joy.  On reading around, the current situation is temporary - but the definition of "temporary" is until 2022 :smile:

COM7 and COM8 are due to be switched off in 2022 (they had hoped to switch them off in 2020)

John.
  • John LJohn L Posts: 74Member
    Hi Paul Fox, 
    To answer you r questions: Both the 32/48 element models will work. The 48 model is slightly more powerful. I have a 32 element model, wished I had now purchased the 48 element, when I did a few years back. If you can afford the extra money then pay for the 48 element aerial. It should be a simple connection. The aerial comes with instructions, but you simply remove connection cover/disconnect the cable from your original aerial & connect cable to new aerial. You may need to tidy the coax connection + if the cable won't stretch as far that is if you adjust aerial height, then you may need to extend original cable to fit to new aerial & insert a coax coupler to connect old & new cable. As long as you do all the connections neatly & securely you should have no problems. Trust this may help you. Good luck. John L.
    edited 30 May 2018, 11:31PM
    Hi John L (and those that have helped),
    Bought the 48 element from Argos., installed it and there is not much of an improvement. I've got back BBC 4 HD (100% signal strength with 2-18% signal quality). BBC News HD is 100% signal strength with 0 signal quality.  

i can get BBC HD on the YV box, but the freeview on the TV cant find it at all (same for BBC 2 HD, ITV HD, etc). 

really not sure what to do now. Any ideas? 
    edited 31 May 2018, 8:25AM
    Paul Fox said:
    Get an aerial fitter in.
    Roy said:
    Paul Fox said:
    Get an aerial fitter in.
    Just booked one for Saturday. £49 + VAT 
    Is that a good price?
    Paul Fox said:
    Roy said:
    Paul Fox said:
    Get an aerial fitter in.
    Is that a good price?
    Excellent.

For that, he should be able to find and fix any relatively straightforward issues with your loft aerial (if it’s in a dead spot, misaligned, shorted out/open circuit, etc.) though if you need a booster, that will of course be extra, though as he will likely have one on the van, just a reasonable RRP.

If he tells you you are going to need an external aerial installation instead though, that will probably run a bit higher, though he may be able to use the aerial you bought.

But the stats you give above are just weird, or YouView’s idea of 100% signal strength is. Though last time I looked, putting a variable attenuator on the aerial input, this was behaving quite sensibly, and holding 100% for most of the range of the attenuator, dropping through the 90s to 88% with maximum attenuation, but still holding on to 100% Signal Quality.

But 100% Signal Strength with vanishingly low Quality implies something jamming the channel (you haven’t got a hobbyist arc welder in the house by any chance, have you?), so I’m hoping the fitter will find something, and your £49 (plus VAT - so make sure there is a VAT number on the invoice :p ) will be well spent.
    Roy said:
    Paul Fox said:
    Roy said:
    Paul Fox said:
    Get an aerial fitter in.
    Is that a good price?
    Excellent.

For that, he should be able to find and fix any relatively straightforward issues with your loft aerial (if it’s in a dead spot, misaligned, shorted out/open circuit, etc.) though if you need a booster, that will of course be extra, though as he will likely have one on the van, just a reasonable RRP.

If he tells you you are going to need an external aerial installation instead though, that will probably run a bit higher, though he may be able to use the aerial you bought.

But the stats you give above are just weird, or YouView’s idea of 100% signal strength is. Though last time I looked, putting a variable attenuator on the aerial input, this was behaving quite sensibly, and holding 100% for most of the range of the attenuator, dropping through the 90s to 88% with maximum attenuation, but still holding on to 100% Signal Quality.

But 100% Signal Strength with vanishingly low Quality implies something jamming the channel (you haven’t got a hobbyist arc welder in the house by any chance, have you?), so I’m hoping the fitter will find something, and your £49 (plus VAT - so make sure there is a VAT number on the invoice :p ) will be well spent.
    Cheers Roy, it is booked for Saturday afternoon. Will report back the issue and fingers crossed they can fix it.
    Turns out it was the internal wiring. The Installer ran a cable from the loft aerial to the TV, perfect picture. 
    I ended up buying their aerial and he installed it just out side my window. It was literally half the size of the one I bought from Argos and looks lihe it would stay up in a hurricane.  The Argos one didn't really look like it would be suitable for outside, it seemed a lot more flimsy than their own one too. £150 all in and if I had any issues, give them a call (1 year guarantee). Seemed like a really nice guy.
    He did find it really weird that when it was aligned correctly I couldn't get the problem channels, but off alignment it would pick them up. 
    I took back the aerial I bought and got a refund.