Series link not working

akd9471akd9471 Posts: 1Member
Over the last week I've had to keep resetting  various series links which have always worked before. 
I've got 58% free on the youview box.

Programmes include:
Coronation street  (ITV HD)
Humans  (C4 HD Thurs 9pm)
Plebs (BBC2 HD Tues 1.30am)
Young Sheldon (E4 Thurs 9pm)

I've also noticed that even if I select to record the series, the record icon in the 'scheduled' list is that for 'episode' record not 'series' record (but they are ok when I look at the programme guide).

Is this a problem with the box? I had to change my box after the digital switchover a few years ago because series link stopped working.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,042Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 July 2018, 7:26AM
    For a Series, the My TV Schedule always shows an entry only for the next episode, but the text should say Series.

Digital switchover in Great Britain was completed by 24 October 2012, when YouView, which was never analogue, had barely got started, so I think you must mean some other switchover?

But I can’t see how that would break a YouView box anyway.

Have you tried a soft reset? While not recording, nor about to, touch the On/Standby button, left of the fascia on the box (or the centre ring on T1000s or the button on the top of BT/PlusNet boxes), for just over 8 seconds until it soft reboots.

Cures a lot of ills with the operation of the boxes.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • I have loads of problems with this.  Currently "Hidden" on BBC 4 and Brooklyn 99 on E4.  This is just one of the many problems I have with BT tv and can't wait to get to the end of my contract so I can leave
    I have loads of problems with this.  Currently "Hidden" on BBC 4 and Brooklyn 99 on E4.  This is just one of the many problems I have with BT tv and can't wait to get to the end of my contract so I can leave
    Both of which come from Freeview, not from BT TV, and so these issues, which you should not be having, will continue unless you abandon the YouView box altogether.

But as you are in contract with BT still, they are bounden to support you. So contact them with these issues, and see what they suggest; perhaps they will swap your box for one that works better.

However, while I don’t know about Brooklyn 99, it may just be that your box shares our utter revulsion with Hidden, where the plot, in order to get to the unpleasant places it wants to be, has to be even more twisted and unlikely than the protagonist. We gave up on it, for both those reasons.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,173Member ✭✭✭
    The BBC flagged the first episode of Hidden on BBC4 as a single programme. Subsequent episodes were flagged as a series.

• DarrenDarren Posts: 239Member ✭✭
    I had the same problem that other week with series link(record) and it lasted well over 2 weeks but it now seems to have sorted its self out without me have to do anything.

Darren
  • speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 66Member
    edited 17 July 2018, 8:43AM
    After recording 6 episodes of "Poldark" (BBC1HD) on a series link (up to and including Sunday 15 July), it has decided not to bother with episode 7 on Sunday 22 July! It's in the Guide (without a R symbol showing) but of course isn't showing up in Scheduled. Tried a soft reboot but no difference. Will have to remember to create a new series link for it.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 877Member ✭✭
    @speedyrite I believe the Poldark series  issue is not unique to YouView as I was recording that series on a alternative Freeview recorder and that too does not yet consider that next Sunday’s scheduled episode is a further episode in the current series and has not selected it to record.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 877Member ✭✭
    I assume that YouView have access to the Freeview/BBC provided data to last Sunday’s Poldark episode and the forthcoming episode so can determine why why the issuing is occurring on YouView.
  • speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 66Member
    Thanks @zulu17 just checked again via the app and typically it’s now turned up on Scheduled!
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,848Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 July 2018, 10:15PM
    The BBC typically load whats known as a 'file header' onto the future Freeview EPG and the first episode of a new series is typically loaded as a standalone programme. Though the second programme always has a series link tag, and its been that way for years.
    Visionman said:
    The BBC typically load whats known as a 'file header' onto the future Freeview EPG and the first episode of a new series is typically loaded as a standalone programme. Though the second programme always has a series link tag, and its been that way for years.
    Which does not go any way towards explaining an issue with Episode 7 of a series.

Unless the BBC erroneously classed Episode 6 as a ‘first Episode’?
    Thats probably correct.
    edited 18 July 2018, 6:41AM
    Visionman said:
    Thats probably correct.
    Ah, you think so, OK.

I have another little problem arising from your description of BBC practice above, which you can perhaps help me with here.

When I go to record a new series, I typically pick that first programme. And the YouView box then offers me the choice of Record Episode, or Record Series.

But if, as you say, the first episode is standalone, how does the box know it is in a series?

And even if it does, how does it know which series, if the series link tags don’t start until episode 2?
    Unfortunately I honestly have no idea.
    Visionman said:
    Unfortunately I honestly have no idea.
    Then the absence of any projected mechanism, no matter what, must cast serious doubt on the completeness, if not indeed the veracity, of your assertions above  :'(
    Indeed so.