update players and apps

johnnyshankjohnnyshank Posts: 62Member
edited 16 June 2018, 11:54AM in Support
When I try to update players and apps I get "We can't update your players and apps, please try again later or visit support.youview.com for help" when I go to support there is no mention of it.
Any ideas ?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,197Member ✭✭✭
    It’s a bug - you get this message whether there have been any updates or not.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Posts: 62Member
    Thanks for that Roy, can it be fixed or do I just have to put up with it ?
    edited 17 June 2018, 2:29PM
    You just have to put up with it, until YouView get their finger out.

You would think this would be one of the easiest things in the world for YouView to fix, but a surprising number of updates have come and gone with nothing done about it, since first it started happening  :(
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,297Member ✭✭✭
    @Roy - Do the Players and Apps not update themselves automatically?
    jonesh said:
    Hi @jonesh

AFAIK, they do, but as with the software updates, overnight, unless you press that button to pull them in during the preceding day, once they are ready.
    edited 17 June 2018, 10:47PM
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Hi @jonesh

AFAIK, they do, but as with the software updates, overnight, unless you press that button to pull them in during the preceding day, once they are ready.
    I assumed that would be the case @Roy.

People might stop worrying about whether they have the latest version if YouView removed the option to update manually.
    edited 18 June 2018, 6:43PM
    @jonesh

YouView’s update handling is pretty execrable  >:)

Firstly, you shouldn’t be forced to update - every update causes a handful of users to lose their boxes, and a somewhat larger number to suffer unwished-for bugs. And don’t even get the OldGen holdouts started here  :s

I don’t know of any other device - not even YouView on Android TVs - where you can’t refuse an update, or delay it to a time of your own choosing  :(

Secondly, it’s not enough to know what version you are on; you need to look at a YouView support page to see if you are on the latest, as your box won’t tell you there is a newer release until YouView deigns to release it to your specific box  :/

Thirdly, while being told when your box last checked for an update is all very well and good, the really useful date and time - when your box actually last updated - isn’t available to you  :o

And think how many updates could be absolved from spurious ‘my box just updated and doesn’t work properly any more’ reports, if we could point the user to such a date  B)

And multiply these issues by a factor of your choosing for Player and App updates, if you care about what and when  :#

YouView maintain no central record, or none available to us at least, of such updates and version numbers. Nor any record of how you even check this on a Player or App, which is usually some arcane series of keypresses, and totally different from one to the next  :|

As to removing any manual update capability?

Well, quite apart from any considerations I list above, anyone who sets up a box for the first time, or returns to one after some period of time unused, needs to get an immediate update of both software and players, and not have to wait for this overnight, nor carry out one of the still rather stealth procedures of Maintenance Mode  o:)
    edited 18 June 2018, 9:11PM
    We could do with a tongue-partially-in-cheek emoji @Roy.

All good points, particularly the ‘my box just updated and doesn’t work properly any more’ one. I accept that there are occasions when it is desirable to be able to update the software manually.

I suspect that most YouView box users, me included, don't really care what software version our box has got, or when it was last updated. All we want is for it to work reliably with the minimum of fuss. Oh, and to be able to jump to a specific point in a recording :D.
    You were being YouView’s dream customer, until that last sentence  :p