Recording radio on You View and Smart Hub.

robertmccrobertmcc Posts: 1Member
I have just set-up my new Smart hub. I works fine and records TV programmes but won't record radio programmes  (which my old hub did). No only will it not record  them but I can no longer hear previous radio recordings. I have rebooted the box (with help from BT) and completed a Factory Reset (without their help-and lost all my recordings in the process).
Any thoughts? (BT told me thay had not heard of this problem before).

Robert.

Comments

• zulu17zulu17 Posts: 881Member ✭✭
    edited 21 June 2018, 11:37AM
    Existing radio channel programme recordings will have been recorded off the Freeview channels  delivered by the aerial so should  not have been impacted by your Hub change. If you disconnected your internet connection to your Youview box which would have occurred when you disconnected your old Hub and possibly if your new Hub does not have a successful or sufficient internet connection to your Youview box some of the recording and schedule recording data  tiles and enhanced EPG (guide) data would not display  as before.
    IF you have done a FULL Factory reset on your Youview box then preexisting recordings will be gone AND the Youview box would take you a new setup process that would necessitate retuning Freeview channels and accepting Youview terms and conditions which would require a working internet connection.

I would suggest contacting either BT or YouView support.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,859Member ✭✭
    edited 21 June 2018, 8:07PM
    I know that this is not much comfort now but a factory reset is always a LAST RESORT. If you had come here first we would have told you how to perform a maintenance mode reset what has options to keep the recordings. A factory reset is a last resort when all other maintenance mode options have failed. If bt support asks you to preform a full factory reset again my advice is don't do it unless you have tried all maintenance mode reset options first. While this won't help you now as you've already performed the reset please please please keep this in mind in future.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,226Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 June 2018, 7:32AM
    Any given YouView box can go slightly weird from time to time; the last time mine did it, for instance, Mute stopped working. Everything else was fine; I could see the remote was still sending the Mute command, on my smartphone camera, and it was just as if the box had decided it did not have a Mute function.

A soft reset, as you were sort-of guided to do by BT (a reboot is nearly a soft reset, but they really should had had you do a proper soft reset), brought the box back to normal, with Mute working OK again.

Possibly this would have been enough to fix your radio issue; did you try it after the reboot?

Who suggested the Factory Reset? As per Daniel’s impassioned plea, this is the last-ditch option, and while it is sometimes unavoidable with recording problems, all other avenues, of which there are several, should be explored first.

Finally, what were the circumstances in which you got a new Smart Hub? Was this to address some YouView problem, or entirely unrelated?

As zulu17 says, the Hub isn’t involved in you recording radio programmes, which come over the aerial.

Nor indeed in you recording Freeview TV programmes; it is only involved in getting the BT TV extra subscription programmes.

AAMOI (as a matter of interest) though, what software version are you on, and when did you upgrade to it?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SarahSarah Posts: 845Administrator admin
    robertmcc said:
    I have just set-up my new Smart hub. I works fine and records TV programmes but won't record radio programmes  (which my old hub did). No only will it not record  them but I can no longer hear previous radio recordings. I have rebooted the box (with help from BT) and completed a Factory Reset (without their help-and lost all my recordings in the process).
    Any thoughts? (BT told me thay had not heard of this problem before).

Robert.

Hi @robertmcc ;

Welcome to the forum :) 

Can you confirm which YouView box model you are using and the software version it's currently running? Once we know this we can look into it in a bit more detail :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 26 June 2018, 7:05AM
    I think the latest release broke this functionality  :'(

Which may be why BT are looking at a quick emergency release ASAP.

But more that that, I am unable to conjecture about.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • RodRod Posts: 3Member
    I also have this problem, contacted BT at first I was told you can't record radio programs. When I pointed out we had been doing it for years I was given the number of their technical dept. They talked me through a factory reset but this failed to rectify the problem so it was arranged for an engineer to come out. He said he hadn't come across the problem before but changed the youview box which cured the problem. Unfortunately this only lasted 4 weeks now the same problem is back and a second new box is due to arrive today. The only problem is how long will it be before this one goes the same way. Does anybody know why this is happening?   
    Yes, we know why it is happening - 31.24.0 broke this functionality.

From what you describe, the BT telephone support team could not find their fundament with both hands and a big mirror, though I am told the people on the BT TV forum are more clued up.

At a guess, the swapped box you were given was on a release before 31.24.0, and so worked, until the automatic overnight update to 31.24.0 reached it and broke this functionality.

If you get another box now, it will either be the same way on delivery, or go the same way shortly afterwards.

Best expend your energies in the BT TV forum, encouraging them to get a new, fixed, release out ASAP.

• RodRod Posts: 3Member

Having had my “Youview” box changed twice because we lost the sound on Radio recordings. It was discovered that is was the latest software upgrade that was causing the problem. So now with my third box I was able to listen to my radio recordings, but each time it is changed I lose all my recordings. So, what do “Youview” go and do? Send me the new software even though they know there is a problem with it. So now I’m back to square one. When are you going to fix this problem “Youview” ?  

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 737Member ✭✭✭
    Hello @Rod ,

It's a pain. isn't it,
    While waiting for a fix, you may want to try this work around that should allow you to listen to your recordings.

Hopefully a fix will be in place soon.

Hope this helps

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • jimbjimb Posts: 995Member ✭✭
    Anaglypta said:
    While waiting for a fix, you may want to try this work around that should allow you to listen to your recordings.
    John.
    Works for me  :o :) :D
  • bentleybentley Posts: 1Member
    Not sure what an urgent fix is, but I’m on software 31.28.0 and still have the same problem. Switching the box off and on again while the recording is being played works OK, but shouldn’t be necessary.
    edited 9 September 2018, 1:11PM
    bentley said:
    Not sure what an urgent fix is, but I’m on software 31.28.0 and still have the same problem. Switching the box off and on again while the recording is being played works OK, but shouldn’t be necessary.
    31.28.0 was rolling out before this issue was reported, and even 31.56.10 on T2000s does not have the fix in.

The Updates page is still not in the reverse chronological order it arguably should be in, I see  :(