Youview T2100 box problems...

Speroni86Speroni86 Posts: 3Member
Evening all. Ran into some problems with my box this evening - we tried to access BT Player and box threw up not being able to connect to the internet... so went through the usual (rebooted router, rebooted box etc) and connection restored. However, now the clock on my box is 4 hours fast, and when I checked for a software update it couldn't find one, but then said last checked on 24th June 2021!!! Any ideas what the problem could be?

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,892Member ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware, a YouViews clock is managed over the air. Or at least it was on OldGen.
    Do your EPG (TV guide) timings look normal?
  • Speroni86Speroni86 Posts: 3Member
    Checked this morning, still 4 hours fast, and guide is based on that time too :/
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,226Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 July 2018, 7:17AM
    My YouView box here, in Spain, while connected to the internet but not connected to an aerial, says it is 6:49 AM, at 7:49 AM Spanish time. 

So on BST, and keeping to BST.

Connecting the aerial does not change this, and nor does soft resetting it.

The box knows it is 5 July, and, pleasingly, when I try Update players and apps, on 29.104.0, now tells me I have them all up to date, instead of the spurious error message earlier updates have been giving for a long time.

But as regards the time, either the box knows how to read, and to adjust, the OTA time being given in Spain or, more likely, is making an internet access to an NNTP time server, getting back UTC time, and adjusting for BST, irregardless of where I physically am in the world.

The time line in the EPG is at 7:49 AM on 5th July, and can be seen slowly progressing to the right, and it seems to be aware of the start and stop times of the programmes, but they all say ‘No information available’, so I can’t correlate them with what is being shown.

@Speroni86, I reckon your box is reading the time server OK, but then applying an incorrect ‘BST’ offset.

I recommend you do a soft reset - while not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby Button on the left of the fascia (or the central ring if this is an old T10x0) for just over 8 seconds, until it reboots.

Hopefully, this will fix your clock, without affecting anything else.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    No offence intended but don't do what Roy suggests.
    Just turn the box off at the wall, wait ten seconds and then switch it back on again. You should find all has returned back to normal.
  • Speroni86Speroni86 Posts: 3Member
    Visionman, tried that and the problem persists...
    I've asked for further help for you, because this ones got me stumped.
    edited 6 July 2018, 1:34PM
    Visionman said:
    No offence intended but don't do what Roy suggests.
    Just turn the box off at the wall, wait ten seconds and then switch it back on again. You should find all has returned back to normal.
    @Visionman

Our priority should always be to offer posters with issues the most cogent advice to get them motoring again, but why do you advise against my suggestion? That’s got me stumped.....

I have always thought that ‘switch it off and switch it on again’ was a bit agricultural, and only to be deployed in the case of a hung box; and a soft reset was always to be preferred in the case of a box that would respond to this. But you think not, or not in all cases, at least?

However, as your advice for @Speroni86 did not work, do you see any harm in trying mine?

It may not work either, but I can’t see it taking him backwards....

My next suggestion would be an MM4, but if I ran that up the flagpole, would you likewise fail to salute?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    Respect is the name of the game. You must respect your fellow members. {……………} Do not simply put down the opinion or advice given by others. If you don’t agree with it, say why – respectfully. Don’t just tell them they’re wrong.