Maintenance mode

ClintClint Posts: 16Member
Hi,
Could someone please explain what exactly each option in maintenance mode does or what the difference is please?

Thanks

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,544Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 July 2018, 5:15AM
    1. Software Reset. Like the 8-second soft reset mostly, though there are subtle differences
    2. Factory Reset, keep recordings (recommended) Refresh the running software from a backup copy on the box
    3. Factory Reset, delete recordings (if option 2 doesn't resolve your issue) Refresh the running software from a backup copy on the box, reinitialise the disc
    4. Internet / USB recovery, keep recordings. Refresh the running software from a backup copy at YouView Towers
    5. Internet / USB recovery , delete recordings. Refresh the running software from a backup copy at YouView Towers, reinitialise the disc

Try Option 1 first, as it is the gentlest. If that fixes the issue, no need to go any further.

Then Option 2, if you have no internet connectivity, or Option 4 if you do. Again, if that fixes things, stop there.

But some issues, especially with problems playing stuff back, are down to disc corruption, and only a full reinitialise of the disc will suffice; again Option 3 if you have no internet connectivity, or Option 5 if you do.

But before taking either of these options, check that your issue is a local glitch with your box, and not a generally acknowledged problem in the software release you are on.

If you do Option 2 or Option 3, and get back internet connectivity, I recommend you then do an Option 4 or an Option 5 respectively.

Please note these will be Internet recoveries; in principle, when a backup,copy from YouView Towers is needed, and you have no internet connectivity whatever you do, the box may still be able to take the software off a YouView-supplied USB stick. Though there have not been any instances of this since 2012, and it is extremely unlikely to be an option for anyone today.

If you try all these options to no avail, then you either have a hardware problem, or you are the first discoverer of a problem with the software release you are on. If the latter, other reports will follow; if they don’t, this points to you having a local hardware problem.

Please note the above is the advice I give (and the advice I follow); YouView themselves are more reluctant to advocate the Internet options than I am.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,041Member ✭✭
    That one absolutely does deserve a like!
    Simply awesome @Roy
     :) 
  • ClintClint Posts: 16Member
    Thanks for the information!