Only left hand blue light on

Janet0846Janet0846 Member Posts: 8
Ive been away for two weeks and the box isn't working. Only the left hand blue light is on. We bought the box ourselves but have BT broadband . I think it is the broadband connection. Ive tried a different ethernet cable and it still doesnt work. Broadband is ok

Comments

• RoyRoy Member Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭
    Power cycle it, by switching if off then on again.

If still no go, power cycle the router, and then the box again.

If still no go, please tell us which box it is, as what the lights mean varies from box to box.
    Who would have thought it? My little two-person business made about £15.65m more profit last year than YouView did....  :p
  • Janet0846Janet0846 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Roy. Ive done the above but nothing!. According to my handbook it says left blue means ON and when It flashes red as it does, it means standby in eco mode. No middle light of course and no right hand blue which it says is broad band. Broadband is fine. As for model I cannot see a name but there is a number - DTR T2 2110/500G/BT/HS  made by humax. It is also making a whirring and repetitive quiet noise 
  • redchizredchiz Member Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭
    Hmm, that could mean the hard drive is stuck, when you turned it off did you leave it a few minutes before turning it back on again? If so, the entirely unofficial and not in any way approved by YouView approach I would recommend is percussive maintenance i.e. give it a whack with the palm of your hand.
    Thanks - T2110 is what I needed,

While as you say it has no broadband, is it otherwise OK  - can you watch broadcast programmes and play non-BTTV recordings?
    Who would have thought it? My little two-person business made about £15.65m more profit last year than YouView did....  :p
    Thanks. Gave it a try. No good. Hope it's not died completely. Lots of recorded material on it.
    To Roy - no just the quiet whirring sound.Doesnt react to handset either.
    And I can’t find a manual that talks about the left hand light flashing red.

Red for high eco standby, yes, but steady red, surely? And it should turn blue when you switch the box on. Does it?

BT’s advice (in an older Guide than yours (I think) but still applicable (I think) is:-
    Once you’ve checked everything, try this: If you have an Openreach modem, turn it OFF, wait a moment, then turn it ON again. Press the Restart button on the Hub and wait a few minutes for it to restart. Press the Standby button on the top of your YouView box until the power light goes red, then blue. This can take up to 8 seconds.

That’s perhaps not very clear, though, that you should press the Standby button and keep it pressed for the eight seconds or more, till the box restarts, if it ever does.

Thanks Roy - will try that all in that order

• WelshPaulWelshPaul Member Posts: 38
    Roy said:
    Red for high eco standby, yes, but steady red, surely? And it should turn blue when you switch the box on.

Correct, this is what happens on my DTR-T2110.
    Thanks for the advice guys. Ive tried all the suggestions. The you view box remains in the same state ie left hand light being blue. It is red when I switch on then blue when I press standby button. The flashing red is only one flash and that's occasionally. I still get the quiet whirring sound 
    Maybe the hard drive is faulty? That shouldn't stop it from booting though surely?
    edited 17 July 2018, 9:44AM
    WelshPaul said:
    Maybe the hard drive is faulty? That shouldn't stop it from booting though surely?
    It will if that’s what it boots from, and not a ROM  :p

@Janet, I’m getting the impression that nothing at all is working on the box, so the issue goes much deeper than just having no broadband on it, but you still haven’t explicitly confirmed if this is the case or not. So it’s a bit hard to offer any more help if we are still in the dark about the extent of the issue  :'(

When you try to start the box, what, if anything, do you see on the TV?
    Thanks Roy
    This is what happens. I switch on the box and the left hand red comes on. I press the standby button on the remote and the left blue comes on. On the tv screen appears the BT waking up. This stays on for about 30 seconds and disappears and the whirring in the box starts. After a minute or so the waking up screen comes on again for about 30 secs and the whirring stops. This can repeat a few times. Sometimes the blue will flash to red just once. 
    I have tried the holding down of the standby button but it changes nothing. I have taken everything out of the sockets and replaced them to no avail. The broadband is working fine for the computer.
    I'm beginning to think it has died but it is not that old and I'm reluctant to buy another if it can be fixed
    edited 17 July 2018, 10:10AM
    Roy said:
    WelshPaul said:
    It will if that’s what it boots from, and not a ROM  :p
    I was reading a thread about a DTR-T2100 that was supplied by BT that died after 18 months due to a power cut, the owner was trying to get BT to replace it even though they were no longer a BT customer and it was out of warranty. After failing to get BT to replace it, he/she replaced the hard drive and it sprung back into life.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Consumer-rights-for-a-faulty-out-of-contract-youview-product/td-p/1722735

Failure...
    My failure occurred because of a power cut, no doubt caused by the recent UK wide storms. If relevant, the box happened to be recording a program at the time. Upon power restore, the box no longer worked. This also happened on one of my previous Humax boxes - power cut while recording, leading to failure, although I was under contract then.

Opened the HDD case, and the data scanning head had got stuck. Tried to free it by turning the discs. Did not work. Tried turning and moving the data head and it became free but unfortunately with damage. After that the discs could spin freely.
    All this proves that the power cut while recording has damaged the HDD. A reasonable person would not expect a failure of this nature inside 2 years of service. This is why I was arguing with BT about consumer rights and a fit for purpose product.

So do these boxes boot without a hard drive (or faulty one)? You would think so! But, I was just putting it out there. Just as an FYI, Both my boxes boot and work just fine without any broadband connection or ethernet connection so it's unlikely to be the cause.

Good Luck
    Thanks for that. I'm reluctant to dissemble the box yet......but it doesn't sound good. There may have been a power outage whilst we were away, but all the clocks were still ok, not flashing as they usually do. BT supplied me with a number  for the people who make BT products, as we bought the box and it would have been out of warranty anyway. Not been able to get a reply yet so not hopeful.