Unused TalkTalk DN360T - will it work without subscription?

niccknicck Member Posts: 4
Hello

I would like to know whether an unused TalkTalk DN360T box will work with a different ISP?

I have seen discussions stating that the used boxes will work a different provider but if it is brand new would that change things i.e. would it get stuck on the setup sequence? 

Thanks
Nick

Comments

• Tim CTim C Member Posts: 461 ✭✭
    Should be perfectly fine.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,487 admin
    Hi @nicck,

Welcome to the forum. 

The box will still work if you change your internet provider.

You'll be able to use the players and apps, record and use any features on the box apart from anything that was included as part of your subscription such as subscription channels or players).

If you have any other questions just let us know :)

Thanks,
    Sarah

• niccknicck Member Posts: 4
    Sarah said:
    Hi @nicck,

Welcome to the forum. 

The box will still work if you change your internet provider.

You'll be able to use the players and apps, record and use any features on the box apart from anything that was included as part of your subscription such as subscription channels or players).

If you have any other questions just let us know :)

Thanks,
    Sarah

Thanks Sarah

I am getting the box off somebody who has never used it. I read somehwere that a Youview box needs to connect to the respective ISP's server for the initial setup process.

If this is correct will the box stall at setup without a subscription with the ISP in question - in this case TalkTalk?

Regards
    Nick
  • WelshPaulWelshPaul Member Posts: 38
    A youview box needs to be connected to any internet connection in order to complete the initial setup.

I believe this was implemented in a recent firmware update, likely to force users to update the software on their boxes as this is also part of the initial setup process.
  • RoyRoy Member Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the box will be looking for YouView on the internet to complete the setup, not TalkTalk.

Note though, that as far as future updates go, it will still be on the TalkTalk schedule it was on originally, not any other Retail or other schedule.
    Who would have thought it? My little two-person business made about £15.65m more profit last year than YouView did....  :p
    Roy said:
    Yes, the box will be looking for YouView on the internet to complete the setup, not TalkTalk.

Note though, that as far as future updates go, it will still be on the TalkTalk schedule it was on originally, not any other Retail or other schedule.

Great. Thanks Roy
  • redchizredchiz Member Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭
    Terrific help here from all concerned, as usual.  :)

You may already be aware, but if not bear in mind that the 360T is TalkTalk's base box thus is not a fully fledged PVR. It does have a small flash drive which allows limited pause/rewind whilst watching a live channel, but beyond that has no recording capabilities. Access to all other features such as On Demand players and services such as Netflix remains the same as with other YouView boxes.
    redchiz said:
    Terrific help here from all concerned, as usual.  :)

You may already be aware, but if not bear in mind that the 360T is TalkTalk's base box thus is not a fully fledged PVR. It does have a small flash drive which allows limited pause/rewind whilst watching a live channel, but beyond that has no recording capabilities. Access to all other features such as On Demand players and services such as Netflix remains the same as with other YouView boxes.

Many thanks

Yes I gathered it was fairly basic but the storage element is not really important for me so this model should be fine.