Incorrect IP address

DavidJW40DavidJW40 Posts: 3Member
This morning my Youview box was unable to connect to the internet. I found that it had an incorrect IP address - 169.254.X.X. I tried many things and, eventually, it had a valid 192.168 address and internet connection was restored.

What would cause this? Where is the 169.254 address obtained from - there is nothing about it in the router?

Comments

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 743Member ✭✭✭
    edited 31 July 2018, 4:13PM
    Hello @DavidJW40 ,

IP addresses in the range 169.254.0.0/16 are known as "Link-Local" addresses and can be automatically assigned by the underlying operating system (Linux in YouView's case) if the device is unable to obtain a valid IP address from your router.

I'm not able to tell you why this happened, but it is normal behaviour if the YouView box can't obtain a valid address.

Hope this helps

John

In depth reference information for Link-local addresses.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • DavidJW40DavidJW40 Posts: 3Member
    The Youview box is connected by cable (via a pair of Powerline adapters) to the router, so there's no reason why it shouldn't get an IP address from the router. Unless the router is faulty.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,528Member ✭✭✭
    DavidJW40 said:
    The Youview box is connected by cable (via a pair of Powerline adapters) to the router, so there's no reason why it shouldn't get an IP address from the router. Unless the router is faulty.
    Or one or both of the Powerline adapters, or how they are connected - they don’t much like plain ordinary distribution sockets, and they abhor surge suppressing ones. Or one or both of the Ethernet tails this requires. Or the YouView box itself.

Unless it keeps recurring, though, then as long as the Powerline adapters are directly in mains sockets at both end, it was probably just a glitch on the mains, which either something that you did cleared this, or it just cleared itself while you were trying things.

Keep your eye on it, see if it happens again.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)