WiFi Bridge for Talk Talk

lorneylulorneylu Posts: 8Member
edited 1 August 2018, 7:25AM in Support
I am currently having issues with a youview box in a bedroom  receiving broadband connection with PLA’s when a second Youview box is switched on in living room, the broadband connection just stops but all other devices stay connected smart phones / Apple TV etc...
I have pretty good WiFi speed 74 mpbs so hoping a WiFi bridge can help me with getting connection back, 
Is there any recommendations for Bridges that work with talktalk boost channels? 

Thank you

Comments

• Tim CTim C Posts: 343Member ✭✭
    Well that shouldn't happen with PLAs so first lets try & solve the problem with your existing setup.
    How is the box in the living room connected to the router?
    Is it possible that both Youview boxes have the same IP address as that would certainly cause an issue?
    Is this just on boost channels or all internet based things like iPlayer?
    Do you have any 5 or 8 port switches in the network?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,434Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 August 2018, 9:51AM
    Hi @lorneylu and welcome to the Community!

You need one that does multicast; it’s a black art. hopefully, a TalkTalk boost user who has done this successfully will happen along shortly to tell you what they bought, and how they configured it.

But I am intrigued as to how switching a further YouView box on can break the functionality of a pair of PLAs; this should not happen.

If you have a laptop, turn off the WiFi, swap the YouView Ethernet cable from the bedroom box into it, check you have internet connectivity OK.

Then go and turn on the downstairs YouView box. Does that break the connection for the laptop? Does the laptop perhaps report a duplicated IP address?

Either way, my recipe for resolving this, or any PLA issues, is:-

Ensure the PLAs are in a wall socket at both ends, not on a multiplug socket.

Power down both affected YouView boxes, the PLAs and the router. All off at the mains, not just left in Standby.

Wait two minutes.

Power on the router, and let it settle, until you have WiFi internet connectivity back on a tablet or phone.

Power on the downstairs YouView box, but keep your finger on the power button for just over eight seconds so it comes up via a soft reboot, to ensure it gets a new IP address.

Power on the PLA at the router end and let that settle, as shown by the lights on it.

Power on the PLA at the YouView end and let that settle, as shown by the lights on it.

Finally, power on the YouView box, but again while keeping your finger on the power button for just over eight seconds so it comes up via a soft reboot, to ensure it gets a new IP address, which the router will hopefully ensure is different from the one for the downstairs box.

See if this setup now still behaves itself.

If so, you don’t need to wrestle with WiFi extenders.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 343Member ✭✭
    Regardless of what Roy has written I think it beneficial to answer the questions I posted.
    Wifi might not be a solution anyway as not all routers support multicast over wifi , certainly the BT Hubs don't for example.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,692Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 August 2018, 11:21AM
    TalkTalk routers have no problems with multicast over wifi. I have successfully used one of these. This has been superseded by a later model, but the essential functionality remains the same.
  • lorneylulorneylu Posts: 8Member
    Hi Redchiz, what is the name of the one you have please?
    Hi Roy, talk talk have tried everything with me about resetting boxes, pla’s etc , engineer is visiting on 11th but is a temporary resolution is cheap then I am happy to pay, 
    It's in the link I posted, click on the blue type. :)

The latest version is this: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR802N.html
    @ Tim - living room is connected directly into router. Whether the broadband is connected in living room or not as soon as it powers up - broadband drops out on pla 
    redchiz said:

The latest version is this: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR802N.html

oops! Thank you :) 

lorneylu said:
    @ Tim - living room is connected directly into router. Whether the broadband is connected in living room or not as soon as it powers up - broadband drops out on pla 
    That is really odd, maybe a feature of the wiring in your home? I'm no expert though. Have you taken this up with TalkTalk directly?
    lorneylu said:
    redchiz said:

lorneylu said:
    redchiz said:

I have ordered it. Is there any tips for setting up? 

Tim C said:
    Regardless of what Roy has written I think it beneficial to answer the questions I posted.
    Wifi might not be a solution anyway as not all routers support multicast over wifi , certainly the BT Hubs don't for example.
    @Tim C

I’m sure @lorneylu can decide how to respond for themself.

But I’m fascinated by your ‘switches’ question, which did not occur to me. What’s your thinking behind asking this?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    edited 2 August 2018, 6:14AM

redchiz said:
    lorneylu said:
    That is really odd, maybe a feature of the wiring in your home? I'm no expert though. Have you taken this up with TalkTalk directly?
    I’m no expert on PLAs either, which, like you, I am happy to admit, though I do have a couple of pairs, neither currently in use. But when I was using them, I never saw anything like this.

What we have described here, if I understand it aright, is that powering on a YouView box - which presumably gives no trouble when in Standby - even when the Ethernet cable has been pulled out, is enough to wreck the connection path of a pair of PLAs.

In which case, I would suggest that the fact that these are two YouView boxes is a red herring, except insofar as one of them seemingly manages to back-insert so much noise, phase shift or what-have-you onto the mains in @lorneylu’s dwelling that the PLAs are unable to function.

So my advice now would be variously to try swapping the power bricks of the two YouView boxes, if they both have power bricks and they are interchangeable, and/or to power the downstairs YouView box via a multiway socket with a surge suppressor, Belkin or similar if you have one handy, and see if this successfully keeps the ‘dirt’ off the mains enough to let the PLAs function.

And if so, to get a replacement power brick for the downstairs YouView box tout suite, as it would seem to be faulty.

If still no go, though, it may be worth seeking advice from the supplier of the PLAs.