Sony Bravia 2018 FX80 - Poor performance

waldo100waldo100 Posts: 1Member
edited 6 August 2018, 7:51PM in Feedback
Having found recording TV to a usb HDD impossible, i started to do some internet searches to identify what other users had done. It seems like the you view app overrides the default tv guide on the tv and prevents recording. Having disabled youview and having now used the Bravia freeview menu i can now record!! However the biggest gain I have is the performance of the tv... the Youview app now disabled seems to have speeded up the general responsiveness of the tv. Even turning on the tv and trying to turn it onto another channel took upto 5 minutes!! this must have been the poor software of youview on andriod as now with the default guide i can turn on the tv and chamge channel in under 1 minute..  Come on Sony/Youview/Android get your acts together!!

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,528Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 August 2018, 5:26AM
    The YouView EPG is the default TV Guide on these sets; the Freeview guide is provided as an alternative, as you have found.

There have been many reports of slow processing with YouView, so this is known to happen, but it is not the normal state of play, and the proper operation of YouView can usually be restored with a soft reset - press and hold the On/Standby button on the remote for just over five seconds until the TV reboots - or if not, with a Factory Reset from the Settings menu on the TV itself.

But yes, you indeed cannot record to HDD while in YouView, and you can’t even pause and rewind live TV like the non-recording YouView zapper boxes can. Which is a bit like Hamlet without the Prince of Denmark, and without Rosencrantz and Guildenstern either ...... :'(

But with the best will in the world, HDD recording off a TV is a poor substitute for a real PVR. Why not get the best of both worlds by obtaining a YouView box, and coupling that with the TV? On which, by taking action as above, you ought to be able to go back to the YouView guide, and have it run at a decent speed?

“Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)