Software update 31.24

yorkie59yorkie59 Posts: 6Member
Does anyone have any info as to why this update is taking so long to roll out I keep checking every day for it still nothing. Is there an engineer's menu on the youview box where you can update it yourself

Comments

  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 August 2018, 1:52PM
    Which box have you got? Are you on 29.58.0 at present?

    But no-one who hasn’t yet got 31.24.0 will ever get it, as 31.28.0 has supplanted it, so this is what you should be looking for.

    Why the fix isn’t being rushed out as fast as the error was is an enduring mystery  :p

    Check later in the day, rather than earlier. The update should anyway take place overnight, as long as you leave your box at least in Standby.

    And no - I wish.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • yorkie59yorkie59 Posts: 6Member
    Thanks for your reply Roy,what I am really interested in is getting the amazon prime video app. I have been in touch with bt on numerous occasions asking as to when this update will happen but I get a different answer everytime i ring up or do a live chat. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 August 2018, 5:00PM
    yorkie59 said:
    Thanks for your reply Roy, what I am really interested in is getting the amazon prime video app. I have been in touch with bt on numerous occasions asking as to when this update will happen but I get a different answer everytime i ring up or do a live chat. 
    Because I don’t think anybody really knows, but offshore call centres hate to disappoint you by saying that, so they will tell you something, anything, to please you. In our culture, we might mistake that for ‘lying’ but it’s not; to them, it is ‘being polite’.

    Therefore, try never to phrase a question in a way that makes it clear what answer would please you.

    Whatever the algorithm that decides who gets a release when is, it seems to be a closely guarded secret; we do know it’s not a fixed priority, as you can get one release very soon, and another very late; it doesn’t seem to be geographical; and it isn’t by subscriber/user, it’s by box, as multibox users will get it on their different boxes at different times. But those are all things it isn’t, not things it is.

    You would think that once a week or two of trickle-out had passed uneventfully, everyone else could get it at the same sort of speed they get Love Island on catchup at, but apparently not.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • yorkie59yorkie59 Posts: 6Member
    Thanks for that Roy,you made more sense in that reply than bt have in the past week.!
  • scottscott Posts: 1,802Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 August 2018, 8:50AM

    I believe most BT releases do follow a set schedule. They normally release to 25% on the first tranche, then 50% on the second tranche and then 100%. The timing between these releases are normally 2 weeks for a light update or a week for more major updates. As to which boxes are classed in which tranche, I have no idea but if you do a manual search late afternoon/early evening you have the best chance of getting it. Of course if at any time a major issue is flagged up then the rollout will be halted (we have seen before a few times) which is the main reason the updates are not just thrown out all in one go (testing will only ever pick up general faults and may miss faults that would arise in the wild where there are massive amounts of different set-ups), no real enduring mystery to anyone with any software knowledge why it is done this way, if you compared YouView's/BT's testing resource compared to someone like Apple/Microsoft you would see why they are very different at picking up faults but we all know Microsoft/Apple are still very prone to introducing new faults on new releases (only just got the fix to stop my IPhone camera going blank all the time :) ). There can also be smaller releases if it is something they are either just trying or quite low priority.

    I am not sure if there are set amounts scheduled to be done each day or if they just release till the quota is used up and then stop till the next tranche. I would expect most T2100/T1000 boxes to be getting the 31.28/29.106 release now (which should include the Amazon app for the T2100's).

    The BT Retail boxes (T2110) are still at the back of the queue...

    @Yorkie59 What box version do you have?

  • yorkie59yorkie59 Posts: 6Member
    Hi Scott,I have two t2100 boxes which were included in my bt package both running 29.58.0 version software.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,802Member ✭✭✭
    Have you tried a manual update today
  • yorkie59yorkie59 Posts: 6Member
    No,I am not at home at the moment scott I will try this evening and let you know.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 August 2018, 11:03AM
    The BT Retail boxes aren’t even in the queue...

    But I don’t get what you think the rollout schedule is like - longer phases for light updates than major ones, or is that a typo?

    And where did this 25/50/25 split come from? Citation?

    But 31.24.0 was rolling out for five weeks before it was supplanted by 31.28.0 (which has now been rolling out for just over two weeks) and @Sarah said she thought the majority of eligible people had got it.

    Though some of those still on 29.58.0 have now been waiting seven weeks - but only two and a bit for the missed recordings fix, of course, which everyone still on 31.24.0 is still waiting for, though it is perhaps too early for them to start complaining.

    The Excel calculation =now() - int(now()) - 04:00, where the result cell is formatted General rather than Time, will show the probability of you getting the update, if it is released to you today before midnight.


    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • jimbjimb Posts: 997Member ✭✭
    Roy said:

    The Excel calculation =now() - int(now()) - 04:00, where the result cell is formatted General rather than Time, will show the probability of you getting the update, if it is released to you today before midnight.


    I'm always one for taking the bait...
     =NOW() - INT(NOW())  returns 0.493737384 with General formatting
    =0.493737384 - 04:00 returns an error
    @Roy what were you expecting?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 August 2018, 1:43PM
    jimb said:
    Roy said:

    The Excel calculation =now() - int(now()) - 04:00, where the result cell is formatted General rather than Time, will show the probability of you getting the update, if it is released to you today before midnight.


    I'm always one for taking the bait...
     =NOW() - INT(NOW())  returns 0.493737384 with General formatting
    =0.493737384 - 04:00 returns an error
    @Roy what were you expecting?
    @jimb

    Quite right!

    I see you did your test at 11:50:59, so that bit was correct....

    Either the 04:00 needs to be a separate cell, and you reference that cell instead of the literal 04:00, or you can use TIME(0,4,0).

    Apologies  :(

    Running this now, I get 0.56525, so the odds are slightly better than evens that if you would be getting the update today, then you would have it by now.

    Assuming that YouView trickle these out at random throughout the day, which may not be the case, come to think of it....
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • jimbjimb Posts: 997Member ✭✭
    Roy said:

    The Excel calculation =now() - int(now()) - 04:00, where the result cell is formatted General rather than Time, will show the probability of you getting the update, if it is released to you today before midnight.


    @Roy you need to get out more  :D
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    jimb said:
    @Roy you need to get out more  :D
    I did try, but the cables on my YouView box will only stretch so far.... :s
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • yorkie59yorkie59 Posts: 6Member
    Hi Scott,just tried a manual update on both my boxes no joy still running 29.58.0 even tried a mm reset no joy looks like I will have to wait.
  • robin0800robin0800 Posts: 42Member
    I wonder if they only pushed it to 29.24 and have not done 29.58 yet
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    robin0800 said:
    I wonder if they only pushed it to 29.24 and have not done 29.58 yet
    There is no 29.24. Did you mean something else?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • robin0800robin0800 Posts: 42Member
    Sorry I meant 31.24 thanks for pointing it out
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 246Member ✭✭
    edited 14 August 2018, 7:29PM
    My BT Youview T2100 box finally updated to the latest software this morning.

    Darren
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    Darren said:
    My BT Youview T2100 box finally updated to the latest software this morning.

    Darren
    The latest software is 31.28.0, and not the 31.24.0 which is the subject of this thread.

    Presumably it was 31.28.0 you got?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 246Member ✭✭
    Sorry may have posted in the wrong thread. Yes it was 31.28.0 that I got on my box this morning.

    Darren
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    Darren said:
    Sorry may have posted in the wrong thread. Yes it was 31.28.0 that I got on my box this morning.

    Darren
    Hi @Darren

    No, I think it was the right thread. Just worth clarifying, as you now have, that you got 31.28.0, which is leapfrogging 31.24.0
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • DeanSDeanS Posts: 2Member

    Hi All,

    I have a DTR-T4000 (BT UHD) I'm aware it state that this update for the Amazon Prime App will be rolled out by the end of August, but I still have not had the update.

    Any news or announcements of when this will be fully rolled out?

    Thanks in advance, Dean.

  • John29John29 Posts: 20Member
    DeanS said:

    Any news or announcements of when this will be fully rolled out?

    Thanks in advance, Dean.

    The rollout is complete on your box model.

    Can you check you have a working broadband connection on your box and try a manual update?
  • John C1John C1 Posts: 24Member
    DeanS said:

    Any news or announcements of when this will be fully rolled out?

    Thanks in advance, Dean.

    I'd have to agree with John above, if I've received it on my retail 2110 you surely should have received it on your 4000...
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 312Member
    edited 23 August 2018, 3:31PM
    John29 said:
    DeanS said:

    Any news or announcements of when this will be fully rolled out?

    Thanks in advance, Dean.

    The rollout is complete on your box model.

    Yes but as announced with the start of the launch of the release that started to bring Amazon Prime to other BT branded models the release would be rolled out to the DTR-T4000 for the fixes but would not include Amazon Prime being available.
    DeanS said:

    I have a DTR-T4000 (BT UHD) I'm aware it state that this update for the Amazon Prime App will be rolled out by the end of August, but I still have not had the update.

    Are you sure that was what you have been told?  Please would you provide a link to "will be rolled out by the end of August".
    The announcements I've seen for Amazon Prime was the launch for the DTR-T4000 being by the end of summer.  As youview and BT are not meteorologists that would been near the end of September for the launch, plus if it was a phased roll-out the completion would be some time latter.

  • SarahSarah Posts: 869Administrator admin
    DeanS said:

    Hi All,

    I have a DTR-T4000 (BT UHD) I'm aware it state that this update for the Amazon Prime App will be rolled out by the end of August, but I still have not had the update.

    Any news or announcements of when this will be fully rolled out?

    Thanks in advance, Dean.

    Hi @DeanS

    Can you clarify if you've received the 31.28.0 update at all on your box?

    Although this update does indeed contain the Amazon Prime Video player for T2100 & T2200 devices, it does not contain the player for T4000 devices yet (please see the software comms for 31.24.0). It will be launched for the T4000 devices in the near future and we'll ensure users are aware when this happens however we don't have the dates of when this will happen just yet. 

    T4000 devices will have received the 31.24.0 & 31.28.0 bug and maintenance updates but not the Amazon Prime Video player.

    If your box hasn't updated to 31.28.0 at all, please let me know and we can investigate further as this update has completed its rollout. 

    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,292Member ✭✭✭
    John C1 said:
    DeanS said:

    Any news or announcements of when this will be fully rolled out?

    Thanks in advance, Dean.

    I'd have to agree with John above, if I've received it on my retail 2110 you surely should have received it on your 4000...
    Except in the case where the rollout is complete, as here, any reasoning that if box x has it, then box y should also have it, is entirely fallacious.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • DeanSDeanS Posts: 2Member
    Sarah said:
    DeanS said:

    Hi All,

    I have a DTR-T4000 (BT UHD) I'm aware it state that this update for the Amazon Prime App will be rolled out by the end of August, but I still have not had the update.

    Any news or announcements of when this will be fully rolled out?

    Thanks in advance, Dean.

    Hi @DeanS

    Can you clarify if you've received the 31.28.0 update at all on your box?

    Although this update does indeed contain the Amazon Prime Video player for T2100 & T2200 devices, it does not contain the player for T4000 devices yet (please see the software comms for 31.24.0). It will be launched for the T4000 devices in the near future and we'll ensure users are aware when this happens however we don't have the dates of when this will happen just yet. 

    T4000 devices will have received the 31.24.0 & 31.28.0 bug and maintenance updates but not the Amazon Prime Video player.

    If your box hasn't updated to 31.28.0 at all, please let me know and we can investigate further as this update has completed its rollout. 

    Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi @Sarah I can confirm that I have received the 31.28.0 update. Just keen to enjoy the benefits of Amazon Prime! 

    I’ll keep my eyes peeled for any updates.

    Thanks,
    Dean.
Sign In or Register to comment.