Accuracy and Reliability of new Synopsis in Guide

BizBiz Member Posts: 34
Hi,

While the new Synopsis popup introduced in 31.62.10/3.5.120 has its pro's and con's it sometimes displays information different to what you get when you press the Info button - see below. The Synopsis version looks like it's pulling up info from a different source or perhaps a different episode (not episode 2 as the Info text for that also doesn't match the Synopsis.)

How reliable can we expect the Synopsis results to be when just paging through the EPG? Also, if it is pulling information from a different Server to the one the Info button uses as appears to be the case at least here, could someone customize this second source so that it fits the limited display area better i.e. condense\format it properly rather than just copy the longer Info button result and spill the text over?

Thanks

Comments

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭
    Well spotted @biz!
     :)  :)  :)
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭
    One observation - given that tonights Butterfly  episode (Series 1 episode 1) is the same episode first broadcast on Sunday at 9pm which is available on demand and that option is available in the EPG  why is there no option showing in the EPG guide to play the episode  on demand showing in tonights guide ?
    It's worth pointing out that the Synopsis popup version of the programme info appears to be coming from the same source as the tiles that you see when you hit the blue "Y" button, i.e. the programmes currently on BBC1,ITV,CH4 etc
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    I could be wrong, but I'm guessing this problem has the same root cause as the issue reported multiple times during OldGen, regarding synopses inconsistencies.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,779 admin
    Hi all,

Where available, a more detailed programme description is made available in the info/action panel for the programme if you have an internet connection, this information comes from enhanced metadata. This is not supported by the Synopsis in Guide feature at the moment as it uses DTT (digital terrestrial television) metadata instead. 

Some content, despite being a repeat, isn't always made available when you go forwards in the guide as this is set by the content provider so it will vary from channel to channel. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• BizBiz Member Posts: 34
    edited 19 October 2018, 9:08AM
    Hi Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time out to reply. Your comments on the difference between the Info and Synopsis differences have answered my question, I was just wondering since they were both different if one might say something totally at odds with the other leaving us to guess which one was right.

Regarding the second part where you comment on the availablity of On Demand material I agree that some material is not being made available for watching via the Content Providers, as has always been the case. However my point is about material that IS being made available by them yet is not ACCESSIBLE via the EPG. And as you can see from a perusal of the EPG this applies not only when you go forward in the guide but also back.

If Content Providers have decided that this material will now only be available to watch via their built-in Apps (such as UKTVPlay and ITV) and have made a decision to remove this "one button click" functionality from the EPG then I would say that is a considerable reduction in the capabilities of the Youview platform. This functionality was fully working prior the the last update.

Can you confirm that Content Providers have indeed deliberately removed this feature from the EPG and if so which ones?

Thank You.
    Biz said:
    Hi Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time out to reply. Your comments on the difference between the Info and Synopsis differences have answered my question, I was just wondering since they were both different if one might say something totally at odds with the other leaving us to guess which one was right.

Regarding the second part where you comment on the availablity of On Demand material I agree that some material is not being made available for watching via the Content Providers, as has always been the case. However my point is about material that IS being made available by them yet is not ACCESSIBLE via the EPG. And as you can see from a perusal of the EPG this applies not only when you go forward in the guide but also back.

If Content Providers have decided that this material will now only be available to watch via their built-in Apps (such as UKTVPlay and ITV) and have made a decision to remove this "one button click" functionality from the EPG then I would say that is a considerable reduction in the capabilities of the Youview platform. This functionality was fully working prior the the last update.

Can you confirm that Content Providers have indeed deliberately removed this feature from the EPG and if so which ones?

Thank You.
    Hi @Biz

The Content Providers will still be providing links between the guide and the player for content that has already been broadcasted however, repeats of the same programme in the forwards guide may not have the same link on them until they have also been broadcast. This can vary between CPs so some may do this, some may not. 

I hope that clarifies things a bit better :)

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

Thank you once again for your reply. I should have qualified my previous comments by saying that they were in regard to SOME programmes (seemingly first-time broadcast) from a Content Provider and not all.

If I can take you up on your comment "The Content Providers will still be providing links between the guide and the player for content that has already been broadcasted however" this is regretably not the case with at least two of the programmes I mentioned on Dave. Please do take a look at the EPG for Wednesday the 17th where both the latest (marked as New) episodes of Taskmaster and Zapped are not available via the EPG - yet are through the App.

This seamless link between the EPG and the Content Provider's App - which existed prior to the last update - seems to have been removed for some programmes hence my question asking if this was a deliberate decision. Apparently from what you are saying it was.

Thank You.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 856 ✭✭✭
    Biz said:

This seamless link between the EPG and the Content Provider's App - which existed prior to the last update - seems to have been removed for some programmes hence my question asking if this was a deliberate decision. Apparently from what you are saying it was.

Thank You.
    Hello @Biz ,

Missing links to on demand content in the EPG have always happened, and no content provider seems to be immune from "forgetting" to add the link. I have reported missing links for several programmes from different channels, as indeed others have.

I'm sure @sarah will pass your report to the content team to chase up with Dave (the channel :D)

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 19 October 2018, 2:30PM
    Hi @Biz

Echoing what @Anaglypta mentioned above, sometimes they don't update the links or add the links between the programme in the guide and the programme in the player.

I've raised this with our Content team so if there are any other programmes on Dave which you've found do this as well as Taskmaster and Zapped, please let me know the original broadcast dates and times so we can check them out on our end.

Thanks, Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

It's very easy to spot which Dave programs are available via the App but not accessible via the EPG, it's every single one broadcast in approximately the last 7 days that is a first-run showing, marked by having "New" as a prefix. As Dave is primarily a repeats channel there aren't that many new series or episodes it shows so they tend to push those that are in the ad breaks. To be specific:

19/10 20:00 NEW Border Force America's Gatekeepers
    19/10 19:00 NEW American Pickers
    18/10 19:00 NEW American Pickers
    17/10 19:00 NEW American Pickers
    16/10 19:00 NEW American Pickers
    16/10 20:00 NEW Modern Wheels or Classic Steals
    16/10 20:30 NEW Modern Wheels or Classic Steals
    15/10 19:00 NEW American Pickers

And of course New episodes of Taskmaster and Zapped on the 17th that I mentioned before. There are also the odd episodes of long-running series that also fail the EPG test (e.g. Cops UK s02e02 19/10 14:00) but I think these are accidental oversights pretty much as you say.

There are other shows in the American Pickers series prior to the 15th spread over the  previous weekend at varying hours that are also not available via the EPG but are via the App which I assume to be a carry-over from the days before that and which have yet to sync with the EPG properly. The same goes for all the repeat showings of these and other show episodes plus or minus 7 days from now as well as all first-run to-be-aired shows that they make available 7 days in advance.

I would say that on the face of it it's not that Dave are forgetting to link the EPG to the App with the odd episode here and there but rather with EVERY first-run program that they are broadcasting. Which I think is either deliberate or indicates that something has broken.

Thanks.

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 October 2018, 2:31AM
    Whilst checking this in the early hours of the morning, American Pickers does have a play icon option on my EPG, but not within the last 24 hours. Though Border Force America's Gatekeepers seems to be hit and miss. Which mostly appears to be a miss.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Hi Sarah,

Sorry to keep beating this with a stick but it seems the rest of the UKTVPlay group of channels are also borked when it comes to being unable to access On Demand programs via the EPG that are available through the box App (I know I should really call it a Player but you know what I mean.)

Fortunately(!) the Drama channel seems to be 100% repeats so they don't have anything flagged as first-run. Yesterday channel only has a couple of first-run series but again all of them marked as NEW in the EPG are unplayable via that route. Specifically:

17/10 20:00 NEW Trains That Changed The World
    18/10 20:00 NEW World War Weird
    These series are box-sets so the following are also only available via the App not the EPG:
    24/10 20:00 NEW Trains That Changed The World
    25/10 20:00 NEW World War Weird

The Really channel is pretty much the same as Dave with again all programs flagged as NEW in the EPG last week only playable through the App. Specifically:

15/10 21:00 NEW Helicopter Heroes
    15/10 22:00 NEW Into The fire
    17/10 22:00 NEW The Menendez Murders
    18/10 22:00 NEW Nightwatch
    19/10 21:00 NEW Ghost Adventures
    19/10 22:10 NEW Most Haunted
    20/10 21:00 NEW Ghost Adventures
    20/10 22:10 NEW Most Haunted

I'm not going to list any future episodes nor any other episodes from now on, life's too short. It's pretty obvious that all the UKTVPlay channels have lost functionality for playing first-run programs via the EPG for at least 7 days for some reason. It's not that big a problem really, you can always use the App to play them if needed and UKTVPlay is not exactly splashing the cash on shows so what is first-run is quite limited in number.

Thank you for taking the time out to answer my questions, if you ever do find out the reason why this is happening and are allowed to share it then I would be interested to know more.

Thanks.

• Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Administrator Posts: 102 admin
    Hi @Biz,

I've passed this information on to our Content team. When I get an update on this I'll let everyone know. :smile:

Louise.
    Louise said:
    Hi @Biz,

I've passed this information on to our Content team. When I get an update on this I'll let everyone know. :smile:

Louise.
    Post number three @Louise, and you've already got three badges!
    "Onwards and upwards!"  :)
  • Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Administrator Posts: 102 admin
    We are aware of issues UKTV have been having with our metadata, and that they are working hard to resolve, and hope to have a solution by next week.

Thank you @Biz for helping to bring this to our attention.

Louise.