BT-TV YOUVIEW SCHEDULED RECORDINGS

PuffinPuffin Posts: 64Member
edited 11 November 2018, 11:15PM in Discussion
Tonight I set up the series Doctor Who  on BBC ONE which happens to be next on BBC ONE next Sunday at 18.30.

When I check the scheduled Recordings on TV it has picked up a repeat from the previous week and only shows this on the scheduled list, however this repeat is on at 2.30am on BBC TWO not BBC ONE.

It shows the repeat aswell as the Sunday one on the BT-TV APP but only currently shows the early morning Saturday morning repeat on the YouView box.

So I thought perhaps this was either because it has picked the previous weeks programme in error because the original is a series link so it has picked it up by name rather than Identifier, or maybe because the YouView box scheduled recordings only show for example Monday to Sunday, so that tomorrow it would show the Sunday episode, because Sunday to Sunday would be 8 days and 7 days may well be the Iimitation for the YouView box?

Any thoughts on this please? 

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 November 2018, 8:34AM
    A couple of thoughts.

Firstly, the YouView box works off CRIDs - Content Reference Identifiers - and will pick up all future broadcasts of programmes which have the same Series CRID and which it has not already recorded, no matter which channel they are on.

’Future’ being from the moment you set the Series schedule, and not from the episode you use to set it from, which some of us might think more logical.

The channel-hopping, though, is by design, so you don’t lose a programme just because, say, the BBC move it to a different channel whenever there is some sporting event that it feels impelled to put on BBC1 and supplant the regular programming.

You will find that repeat is a one-off, though; once the series is established, your box will get only the first run of each episode, and will know not to record any repeats of it, on any channel, because it already has them.

Secondly, the Schedule on the box shows only the next episode to be recorded. If you want to reassure yourself of everything encompassed by your Series Recording request, look on the YouView or BT TV app, where everything scheduled, up to the limit of the forward EPG, is shown.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 970Member ✭✭
    An observation … the 2:30am BBC 2 Saturday  Doctor Who  is I believe the Signed repeat. I would not expect that to be the same Series CRID  id as the Sunday  BBC 1 broadcast. (Looking at my London Freeview data they are indeed different Series Crids.)
  • PuffinPuffin Posts: 64Member
    zulu17 said:
    An observation … the 2:30am BBC 2 Saturday  Doctor Who  is I believe the Signed repeat. I would not expect that to be the same Series CRID  id as the Sunday  BBC 1 broadcast. (Looking at my London Freeview data they are indeed different Series Crids.)
    Yes, and this is why I'm confused as to why the Saturday morning broadcast showed up in the scheduled recordings list. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 November 2018, 11:06PM
    Puffin said:
    zulu17 said:
    Yes, and this is why I'm confused as to why the Saturday morning broadcast showed up in the scheduled recordings list. 
    Yes, and I was describing how it is supposed to work, and how it used to work, but my own example with excess copies of Countdown has got me wondering also.

It’s almost as if there is some sort of Super-CRID per programme ‘family’ that pulls all the different Series together, and YouView has suddenly started using that by mistake.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
    Roy said:
    Puffin said:
    zulu17 said:
    Yes, and I was describing how it is supposed to work, and how it used to work, but my own example with excess copies of Countdown has got me wondering also.

It’s almost as if there is some sort of Super-CRID per programme ‘family’ that pulls all the different Series together, and YouView has suddenly started using that by mistake.
    Glad it's not just me then. 

I'm thinking of removing that booster as I appear to be experiencing intermittent pops and picture flash although the latter not as frequent as the noise. 
    So, I have the EggHeads on BBC2 set to record the series, it is normally on Monday to Friday, however because of all the political issues going on yesterday with Brexit etc the news was listed which covered right through when EggHeads would normally have been on. 

I checked the app and noticed that there's a failed recording entry for EggHeads in the apps recordings list for yesterday.

Is this normal even though the guide doesn't show EggHeads being scheduled yesterday at all? 
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 970Member ✭✭
    Eggheads was scheduled at 4:45pm on Thursday so the BBC changed their programming. I watched my recording of the tennis on the same channel earlier and the BBC announcer actually promoted the Eggheads show  as being on later that afternoon at quarter to 5.  So your scheduled recording would fail because the programme was not broadcast.
    edited 16 November 2018, 9:32PM
    @zulu17
    So the announcer was unaware that EggHeads was not scheduled for broadcast on Thursday, why promote it if he had known?

I was under the impression that each programme had an Identifier in that the YouView box even though it knows it has the series link activated surely it should have picked up that there was no eggheads Identifier that day therefore no need for a failed recording entry. 

Why I believe this is an error is surely if it is meant to show a failed recording on the app then why isn't it showing on the YouView recordings box list? 

How long will this failed entry stay on the app? 
    Just checked and failed recording gone now.