Annoying new guide

13»

Comments

• Davey23Davey23 Member Posts: 57
    If you can explain to me how the sunday to sunday on the guide is vertical, i will try and answer your question.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭
    Davey23 said:
    mon tue wed thu fri sat sun mon tue wed thu fri sat sun 

mon tue wed thu fri sat sun --------------SPACE--------------

Do you see how only having one week takes less space now?
    Do you see the space to the right where a mini tv screen could now be placed along with the synopsis of whatever program you have highlighted could be?
    I suppose it would rain on your parade to point out that there are, in fact, 15 days shown at a time on the Guide screen?

And that cutting this down to seven would still only leave a very long thin slot for a mini tv screen and a synopsis?

Though I guess you could get a supermini TV screen in......
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    Could YouView box without a backwards EPG still be called a YouView box?
    jonesh said:
    Is that why its called a youview box??
    Again, i have never even understood this feature until the "experts" here explained it to me today.
    I have gone 5 years and not once gone back  a day on my guide.
    edited 18 November 2018, 10:43PM
    redchiz said:
    Please, seriously, nobody else seems to be able to see how dropping the backwards EPG would free up more screen space, perhaps you are not able to articulate your point clearly? Or are just wrong? I am definitely willing to reconsider and remove the speck from my eye, if you can remove the mote from yours?
    A mote is a speck, and it was actually ‘the mote and the beam’. 

The picture referenced, or a copy of it at least, hung in one of the rooms at Althorp, where I used to be a guide long ago, in the less hectic pre-Diana days, and I once had the pleasure of showing it to Enoch Powell, who visited with his family.....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 November 2018, 11:00PM
    As you are getting rather defensive, you didn't get my vertical/horizontal joke (which it was).

For the record, there are no "experts" on here as this isn't the BT Forum. Just YouViews.

From the way you are pushing this thread and ignoring every alternate opinion given to you (which is OK) it appears your entire motive is to state 'I want the PiP (Mini screen in screen) back and I'm not going to listen to anyone who doesn't agree with me.' Which again is OK, as this and all other forums are only about opinion.

For the record - I'm now getting used to the enhanced tile synopsis. I still don't like it, but am getting used to it. But I'd remove it immediately, as it only detracts and not adds to the EPG.

I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    jonesh said:
    Well, a zapper that can’t record is still called a YouView box.

A TV that can’t pause or rewind live TV in it is still spoken of as having a YouView UI. 

I guess if it says ‘YouView’ on the tin, it must have ‘YouView’ in the tin  :smile:

And I guess it’s called YouView because You View it.

Though given the importance of the backwards EPG to so many YouView users, perhaps they should have called it ‘Proust’  :p
    @Visionman, I am getting defensive because for the last few hours i have had to repeat myself over and over and all people are trying to do is make anything i say look stupid, or shall i say "rain on my parade"

My point isn`t i want a mini tv and i will ignore everyone at all, just try reading through todays comments again, this whole thread is about getting rid of this pathetic synopsis on the guide, i was just offering ideas and basically being called dumb.

And you didn`t make a joke at all.

I am also well aware there are no experts on here, its why i put it in quotations.
    Then I'll leave you to your continued comments and wish you good day.
  • I like the backwards EPG - its neat to be able to click on a program from the guide and have it boot up the relevant player. I do use this quite often - for example if I have missed a program earlier in the day or week and I haven't recorded it. It's quicker than going into say iplayer and finding it that way. In terms of the new pop up description box it's a thumbs down from me - it is aesthetically unpleasing and the information it gives doesn't really enhance the browsing. The worst part of it is that it can obscure the next program in the listings which is really quite annoying and now in order to see that I have to click to the right.
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Well, a zapper that can’t record is still called a YouView box.

A TV that can’t pause or rewind live TV in it is still spoken of as having a YouView UI.
    Yes, but they all have a backwards EPG. I was under the misapprehension that a backwards EPG was a defining feature of YouView.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I believe @jonesh that the technical specifications for Youview  included a 

Guide defined as  providing  listings of linear content by channel for approximately the next 7 days, together with any available catch-up or on demand content for each linear channel for approximately the past 7 days.
    edited 22 November 2018, 6:51PM
    Ah. So I might have been right. I searched for the technical specifications before I posted my question, but I couldn't find them. The link given on Wikipedia is broken.

Thanks @zulu17.
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Got the new updated guide today. It’s instantly annoying and I can safely say that I hate it with a passion. Frankly I’m astonished that anyone would think that it’s an improvement. For one thing when the focus is on the channel at the top of the guide the pop up overlay obscures the time bar.
    Some people do like it. I don't and have fed that back, as its a development that doesn't 'add' anything to the EPG, it only detracts. As one has to press the info button anyway to get the full synopsis, so whats the point?
  • PeteMPeteM Member Posts: 1
    Davey23 said:
    This new "focus box" on the guide is ridiculous and needs a way to be turned off.
    The one thing most wanted on their guide was a mini tv box and you come up with this instead??
    Also still waiting for you to add back the choice of time to start playing back a recording, but its  sad to see you are focusing your efforts in to things like this...
    Agree - badly designed as it blocks other, more useful, text on the screen. Please switch it off or give me the option of disabling it.

P
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Time out Posts: 336
    I too agree the mini TV in thr top corner was pointless and never missed . As for catch up I now find I'm recording more and more as all 4 and channel 5 are borderline unwatchable with the repeditive relentless ads. After now and Netflix I'm becoming  less accepting of them.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    The thing about catch up is it is either free and ad-supported, or paid for. Although in the case of NOW TV they have ads too. And neither NOW TV nor Netflix are recordable, so that isn't really relevant in comparison terms.
    edited 9 December 2018, 5:54PM
    As chiz says, free Catch Up TV is AD supported, or is a subscription service such as SKYs Now TV. Only SKY push it one step further by charging you a subscription and then make you watch adverts anyway. I don't find the adverts on the terrestrial TV Players that intrusive as the breaks are always Short. But the torrential amount of ADs on the new 4-in1 Player are horrendous to the extent people just won't watch it. A poor implementation of a good idea.
    I too agree the mini TV in the top corner was pointless and never missed.
    Please speak for yourself - I valued the mini TV, and consider its abolition a retrograde step, possibly the worst thing about the ‘upgrade’ to NextGen.

Though I can think of three things that run it a close second....
    I see no value in having one. If I click on the Guide, I want to read the guide. Not box TV.
    Visionman said:
    I see no value in having one. If I click on the Guide, I want to read the guide. Not box TV.
    Surely you are not alone in your household?

Consideration for others means that if I want even a quick glimpse of what else might be on, now or later, I had better look at the app on my iPad than interrupt their viewing.

As a bunch of shadows flittering about in the background does not cut it for them. In fact it achieves the twin distinctions of being insufficient for those trying to watch the programme, and being distracting to whoever is trying to scan the Guide....
    No... none of us see value in it, and are not alone.
    Visionman said:
    No... none of us see value in it, and are not alone.
    You averred a while back that YouView are not big on On/Off switches, which is true, but they did have one for the miniTV in OldGen.

Which means I could set it to On, and you and your family could set it to Off, and we could all be happy.

Not so any longer.....  :'(
  • mtchllromtchllro Member Posts: 1
    Still we have this damn obscuring box hiding more then information then it gives. 
    All we want is the ability to turn it on or off how hard can that be 18-20 months later.