New BT YouView box is requiring broadband connection

ClareGCClareGC Member Posts: 7
Hello.
I've just bought a new BT YouView DTR - T2110, and I can't get passed the "Broadband connection unavailable" stage in the setup.  I've had this exact model twice before, and they didn't required a broadband connection.
Does anyone know if the box now does require it?
Or if not, how I can get passed this screen in the setup?

Incase broadband is now required, I have tried connecting via ethernet to my router, using both the auto connect and manual connect options, but neither show any signs of connecting.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Clare

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 January 2019, 10:06PM
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes an internet connection is now required as YouViews new platform (interface) is now cloud based. What kit (router) are you using ClareGC?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • ClareGCClareGC Member Posts: 7
    Hi Visionman, and thanks for the reply.
    I don't generally have access to the router, as I rent in a houseshare, so using the YouView box day to day with broadband won't be an option for me. I must say, I am absolutely gutted, as I've always loved the YouView interface for pausing TV, and recording etc.

I've emailed YouView, but do you know if there is a phone number for them? I bought the box to use on its own, not as part of a subscription with a TV or internet provider.
    Hi. You only need to internet boot-up the box for the first time. After that you can disconnect the ethernet cable. Doing so means you won't get YouViews EPG, but you will get Freeviews supplied one.
    Hi again. Thanks for letting me know. That sounds very promising, so I'll try the set up again.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 584 ✭✭
    @ClareGC It will continually nag you about no connection though.
    Hi Tim.

Thanks for the reply. Even if you mean I'll get messages that I can cancel, that sounds hassle-y, considering I just want to pause and record TV.   My worry is though, that it's quite a job for me to get the TV and aerial down into the room with the router, and I'm interupting everyone's internet supply resetting my landlord's router. As a one-off it will be fine, but how long before I have to remake the connection?
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll never have to connect again after the initial setup if you don't want to, unless you want a specific feature provided by a future software update.
    And what Tim C terms a "nag" isn't a dialogue box you need to dismiss or anything like that, it's just a placeholder telling you you're disconnected in places where cloud-sourced data would be e.g. the carousel under the main menu - the menu itself still works fine if you don't have a connection, you can just ignore the message.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 833 ✭✭
    CORRECTION - my quick typing (!)
    Hi ClareGC,
    Seems very frustrating for you, especially as you have paid full price (?) for a retail box from a high street store. Hopefully you still have your receipt to return item. I know the newgen software/platform is now cloud based, but were you informed in the store at time of purchase? You are still a consumer & this seems indeed very unfair if item doesn't work for you if your home setup is NOT broadband(!). I too, only want my pvr to record & watch tv. The other bits are extra & I not main priority when you just want to record tv. The new technology seems to all depend now on Broadband, not sure if any of the recent boxes work without broadband. Hope you are able to resolve issue or at least change the pvr at store for another model brand from a well known manufacturer or maybe a 2nd hand older machine somewhere that works WITHOUT internet (!). Hope ClareGC, I may have helped you. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Hi John

I've only just bought it (yes, full price) from John Lewis online. Nothing in the description said it must have a broadband connection, so I had no reason to think the setup had changed from when I bought this exact model 18 months ago, or my one before that. I remember calling YouView to be absolutely sure it would work for my needs without internet then.
    I had thought if only I hadn't opened the packaging, I could just return it for a refund. But, I now think I couldn't have known about the new broadband requirement without opening it and trying to go through the set up process. I'll contact John Lewis anyway - thanks!
    I still want a TV recorder, and to ideally pause/rewind etc, but I will be very careful to find one in future that doesn't need broadband. Yes, thanks John, you've been very helpful.

Hi Stephen
    Thanks for letting me know this. I can happy just ignore the message then, which is a relief. It just feels like a slight risk for me to keep a TV box that now seems only designed for people with a broadband connection. Thanks for explaining though.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭
    ClareGC said:
    Hi Stephen
    Thanks for letting me know this. I can happy just ignore the message then, which is a relief. It just feels like a slight risk for me to keep a TV box that now seems only designed for people with a broadband connection. Thanks for explaining though.

@ClareGC you can depend on Stephen's information - he works for YouView  :)
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 833 ✭✭
    ClareGC said:
    Hi John

I've only just bought it (yes, full price) from John Lewis online. Nothing in the description said it must have a broadband connection, so I had no reason to think the setup had changed from when I bought this exact model 18 months ago, or my one before that. I remember calling YouView to be absolutely sure it would work for my needs without internet then.
    I had thought if only I hadn't opened the packaging, I could just return it for a refund. But, I now think I couldn't have known about the new broadband requirement without opening it and trying to go through the set up process. I'll contact John Lewis anyway - thanks!
    I still want a TV recorder, and to ideally pause/rewind etc, but I will be very careful to find one in future that doesn't need broadband. Yes, thanks John, you've been very helpful.

Glad to help. You can return purchase to John Lewis, if item is in "as new" condition with box & packaging etc if you change your mind within certain time period - I think John Lewis is 28 days? Might be worth phoning store first just to check. They will simply put item in their next clearance sale(!) BUT as with all retail sales, it is up to the store first to decide if they will give refund or exchange for something else, as mentioned by Martin Lewis on Tv recently. I used to work in retail a long time back, hence know a little bit about consumer law/sales of goods act, mind you things do change from time to time (!). Wish you all the best with your decision. Youview is very good product, has it's good & bad points like most technology. Hopefully getting better as more software updates come along. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    I'd try the box first to see if you like it. It won't effect the warranty. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2019, 11:41PM
    Hi @ClareGC

What is the situation with the router in your shared house? Assuming it is something you share, or at least have access to, then if you can have a port, you can probably use PLAs (PowerLine Adaptors) to get from there to where your YouView box is.

Or even easier, get a nanorouter, which has an Ethernet port for the YouView box, and can be powered off a USB port on the YouView box likewise, and then makes it, in effect, into a WiFi YouView box.

Can’t be done (easily) with BT TV, but perfectly fine for non-subscription use.

(Edits, having read the further postings above)

And either way, there should be no need to reset the router, or interrupt anybody else’s broadband use, whichever solution you adopt.

And you will be able to make full use of the YouView box, including its unrivalled catchup abilities, as a smart(ish) box, if your TV does not already have its own smarts.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Thanks again for the advice, John. Yes, YouView is a very good product. Thanks for letting me know about the warranty, Visionman. When I re-attempted the setup, I discovered that my ethernet cable was broken, so I corrected that, and the setup worked straight away! My landlord has let me run an ethernet cable up to my room as well, so I can also use the internet TV services, which is an exciting first for me. Hi Roy. Thanks for the advice on using a Power Line Adaptors or Nanorouter. I'll look into the nanorouter especially, as that might suit me better when I move house soon. Thanks again everyone. The YouView box is working perfectly, now I've done the setup, and I'm very glad I bought it.