All4 won’t play past second advert

2»

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,133Member ✭✭✭
    Delfino said:
    Thanks Roy, Am i misreading your link.
    I disabled Youview but couldnt watch anything. 
    I had to re-enable it.
    Beats me....

The instructions are:-

Press [Home] button on the remote control
        Go to 'Settings'
        Go to 'Channel Setup'
        Go to 'YouView Setup'
        Select 'Disable YouView'
        Select 'Yes' to confirm.

After which the TV, when you choose to watch TV, becomes an ordinary Freeview TV.

Obviously(?) you don’t try to watch TV by selecting YouView any more, or that will just load it again.

Can you list the steps you took to watch TV, once you had done the above, and where these went wrong for you?
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • BigVBigV Posts: 2Member
    We have started experiencing the same problem recently. All4 programme plays fine until first adverts, plays some adverts, then black screen hanging at 0.20 seconds. TV is a Sony Bravia KD-49X8305C. Software version: PKG5.381.0167EUB
    Can you suggest a course of action please?
  • ionaiona Posts: 1Member
    We have Sony Bavaria Kd43x8309c and are having the same issue - our programmes pause in the first advert break at 0:30 left until programme resumes. It worked fine last weekend but midweek it seemed to stop working. All programmes I’ve tried so far have had this same issue. Tried clearing cache etc but no luck. 
    Adverts played prior were for cancer research uk, garnier, Fiat 500, British airways, hotels.com and amazon prime - new Amsterdam. But these were different to the previous set which I didn’t write down. 
    All4 works fine on the much smaller Panasonic tv upstairs on same WiFi. 
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you 
    Delfino said:
    Sorry Sarah, but that's a cop out. This must be your problem to resolve.
    At the same time as my Sony Bravia doesnt work, I can use another Smart Tv in the same house over the same wi-fi and watch the same program without any problem.

Also, this is exactly the same problem that lots of other Youview users are reporting. It sounds to me like it's yours to resolve. If there is a compatibility problem with Youview and C4's apps, then frankly you should contact C4 and get it resolved.

I would be grateful if your organisation could show some ownership of this. 

As the hoshsadiq sideload shows, it is possible to have All4 on these Sony TVs even with YouView disabled.

When it will no doubt behave in the same way.

So perhaps you would rather expect Sony to take some ownership of this - or even Google, since the TV is running their OS?

But actually the fault lies with All4 - after all, they design and build the app to work across multiple platforms, and it is generally an All4 update that breaks it on a particular platform, not a platform update.

The reality is that All4 cannot reliably deliver their app to smart devices - not just YouView, not just Sony - and not have one or more versions of their app, on one or more platforms, exhibiting this problem at any given time.

They need the fresh eyes of an experienced software designer on the problem to finally eliminate this long-standing weakness in their player, and not string and brown paper lashups each time it rears its ugly head.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • DelfinoDelfino Posts: 6Member
    Take your point Roy, but Youview are marketing their product as a way to view All4. Loads of people are reporting problems with Youview that dont exist on other platforms as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, who better to try to resolve this than an organisation supplying All 4 to loads of customers or a few customers? C4 need to listen to both, but I think it's best coming from Youview,
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,375Member ✭✭✭
    Its a cross-platform SONY problem, Delfino.
    edited 19 February 2019, 11:11PM
    Delfino said:
    Take your point Roy, but Youview are marketing their product as a way to view All4. Loads of people are reporting problems with Youview that dont exist on other platforms as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, who better to try to resolve this than an organisation supplying All 4 to loads of customers or a few customers? C4 need to listen to both, but I think it's best coming from Youview,
    Well, we watched Greyzone on catchup from All4 on our 55in Samsung TV on  Sunday, and it got three-quarters of the way through episode 1, with interminable ad breaks, and then did two ad breaks back to back, skipping the entire last 15 minutes of the episode, and jumped into episode 2, where the starting recap showed us stuff we hadn’t seen, which alerted us to the jump.

No YouView involved, no Sony, and not even the Samsung, which plays everything else just fine, at fault in my opinion.

Purely All4, and its lamentable inability to handle ad breaks properly.

And actually, to recover, we put the T4000 on and watched All4 that way, skipping to the point where episode 1 jumped out, and then watching the rest of episode 1, and all of episode 2. Which, for some welcome reason, was entirely ad-free. Maybe All4 dimly recognised that we had had more than our quota of them for the day?
    edited 20 February 2019, 10:42AM
    Hmmm, weird thing going on with Traitors (Sunday, Channel Four). Seen the first episode, want to bingewatch the rest? Well, go to All4, and you are SOOL.

But go to NowTV, Entertainment, if you have a subscription to that, and there it all is. And on Sky as well, maybe Virgin also.

Looks like even Channel Four have lost faith with All4 and are putting out this show somewhere it can be reliably watched  :p
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,039Administrator admin
    Hi all,

We believe this issue has been resolved by Channel 4 however if you still experience the same problem, please reach out to Channel 4 to let them know the content this occurs on so they can investigate further.

Thanks.
    Sarah
    edited 23 February 2019, 10:25PM
    The absolutely brilliant All4 app on YouView, which is now repaired and will never go wrong again, took us, after we had watched Episode 3 of Greyzone, to - well, we don’t know where, and it was at least still Greyzone, but it certainly wasn’t Episode 4, which we went back and watched, nor Episode 5, of which we let the opening recap play.

When I used to write software, I would be ashamed if it didn’t work better than this from the get-go, and utterly mortified if I was given this many chances to make it work, and it still didn’t.

When did standards start running backwards?
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 396Member ✭✭
    Roy said:

When I used to write software, I would be ashamed if it didn’t work better than this from the get-go, and utterly mortified if I was given this many chances to make it work, and it still didn’t.

When did standards start running backwards?
    When us older guys stopped writing software.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • This is still an issue. Happened to us tonight. Sony Bravia TV. Trying to watch Escape to the Chateau DIY! 
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,039Administrator admin
    This is still an issue. Happened to us tonight. Sony Bravia TV. Trying to watch Escape to the Chateau DIY! 
    Hi @yorkshiredoc

Welcome to the forum :)

Can you please try clearing your cache as this could resolve the issue:
    1. Press Home
    2. Scroll down to Settings
    3. In the TV section scroll right to Apps
    4. Go to System Apps
    5. Hold the right button to scroll all the way to the end and Select YVServiceHost APK
    6. Select Clear Cache and press OK
    7. Then Select Clear Data and press OK
    If that doesn't help can you please perform a factory reset of the TV? You can find out how to do this here.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
    Sarah