No Signal

Lost all TV last night. Have message saying TV signal is weak or lost. Went through checklist this is last resort. Any clues?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,136Member ✭✭✭
    Greetings, @Harrysmum1 and welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear about your issue - let’s see what can be done.

Unplug the aerial cable from the YouView box, and plug it directly into your TV.

Can you still not see, or tune, any programmes, or are things OK on the TV direct?

This test will indicate whether you have a problem with your YouView box or with your aerial system.

Either way, come back and tell us the results, and we will go from there.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • I've lost a lot of channels BBC news, channel 4+1 and others and on channels I can get picture often breaks up. I'm using a shared system in flats, I like youviewYouview-TalkTalk but may have to leave go with satellite box.  Management of flats won't at present fix my signal issue, as they say I'm only one complaining, most use SKY.  I want to stay with TalkTalk-Youview but if management don't fix serial soon, I may need opt satellite system, but freesat is poor, wish Youview-TalkTalk was on satellite system as well as Aerial. 
    edited 15 February 2019, 8:58AM
    Hi @TELLYBOX007

Your ongoing issue is quite different to Harrysmum1’s sudden loss. Can we all please keep this thread on topic with her issue then, until it is resolved?

Although you cannot entirely delete your post, the convention is to reduce it to a single full stop, after which @Sarah can remove it. (As I will do with this posting when that has happened).

But do feel free to add the text from it to a thread where it is on topic, or even start your own new thread with it in.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • Just picked up your message. Have put aerial directly into TV and have got programmes. Does that mean there is something wrong with Freeview box?
  • Spoke too soon have BBC1 & BBC2 but no ITV channels. Did contact Freeview info line which had recording of atmospheric problems in Wales, South West & South.
    Spoke too soon have BBC1 & BBC2 but no ITV channels. Did contact Freeview info line which had recording of atmospheric problems in Wales, South West & South.
    OK, not just the YouView box then. But do let’s us know if, when the weather has quieted down, the TV is OK but the YouView box still isn’t.
  • Seeing the weather forecast it seems to be clear but I still do not have anything from my youview box. Looking at the settings on signal strength & quality it has 0%. Surely there must be something wrong with the box if I can get TV from plugging aerial directly into television.
  • John LJohn L Posts: 169Member
    Hi Harrysmum1, can you get all the channels from the TV including full HD channels? Have you got a spare aerial fly lead just to check that lead hasn't got a bad connection between aerial & the tv. John L
  • Cannot get all channels on TV.  No ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5, have tried with another aerial adaptor but no joy. I inherited my TV from my son about 5 years ago and has always been the same. Previous to Freeview I had Sky so have never had to sort this kind of problem before.
    Cannot get all channels on TV.  No ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5, have tried with another aerial adaptor but no joy. I inherited my TV from my son about 5 years ago and has always been the same. Previous to Freeview I had Sky so have never had to sort this kind of problem before.
    I trust you did put the aerial lead back into the YouView box before trying to tune it again?

If so, then I suggest you ring the Freeview helpline again and ask them if the atmospheric problems are still continuing.

It sounds like your reception is marginal at present, and under such conditions, the TV may get a few channels, perhaps badly, that the YouView box will not be able to tune in at all.

But until your TV is able to get a full complement of channels, and the YouView box none or only a few, we cannot rule out a cause for your problem that is in your aerial signal, no matter what you plug it into, and not the YouView box.

I say this not to defend the YouView box in particular or in general, because we know they can go wrong in all sorts of ways, but rather so we can focus on eliminating areas where the problem isn’t, the better to resolve it wherever it is.

Might be the aerial. Might be worth a try if you could borrow a Freeview indoor aerial or purchase one just to see if you can get any channels. Here is one from one for all , for example:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-for-All-SV9420-Design-Amplified-HD-Indoor-TV-Aerial/233134478320epid=7025864908&hash=item3647e5d3f0:g:8A0AAOSw8VNcZs44:rk:2:pf:0
    Sky will work, as it is from a dish and not aerial. Tv & Youview are from aerial only.
    If this works, you have found your problem. Also if it works on the tv directly, try it on the Youview box as well. If not, contact a local aerial engineer to fix for you. Hopefully you are able to get resolved. Let us know how you get on. John L
    Just an update, as I checked the link & Ebay item no longer available for some reason:
    Here's another one just to give you an idea:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-FOR-ALL-SV-9360-Performance-Line-Indoor-TV-Aerial-Currys/122100240843?hash=item1c6dbdd1cb:g:iaYAAOSw-QBcP-Eq:rk:11:pf:0
  •  I have put the other aerial I have onto original and put that into Youview box and retuned channels and hooray it is working. Many thanks John L for your help. I wasjust about ready to give up.
    Glad I was able to you. Often the workaround ideas that work and help solve a problem. John L