Change screen size

Carol12Carol12 Member Posts: 5
The screen size has changed on it's own. It is higher than before, so the top of the screen is hidden, ie top of heads cut off. I've tried using zoom and that makes it bigger. I've gone into settings and there isn't any information as to how to change the screen size under pictures and sound. Can anyone suggest what I should do? Thanks

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 April 2019, 2:25PM
    Hi @Carol12 and welcome to the Community!

YouView boxes don’t have any features for changing the picture size, so this is down to a setting on your TV.

What make and model of TV is it? Do you get this problem with everything you watch (i.e. directly on the TV) or just via YouView?

You probably want the picture setting to be 16:9 on the TV, if there is such a setting in the picture menu of the TV, and it is a 16:9 TV, so try that.

if not, please come back with the make and model of TV; and also the make and model of YouView box involved, if this is not a Sony Android TV running YouView.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Carol12Carol12 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Roy

The make and model of my box is dn372t. I've never had this problem before. I switched it off for a couple of hours (standby) and when I switched it on again the problem was there. It's on all the channels. My Tv is a Bush, but I just use it for htm1 the screen to connect to my YouView box.
    I've tried looking at 'settings' on my YouView box, but it doesn't have 16.9 etc.

Carol
    edited 13 April 2019, 2:26PM
    Carol12 said:
    Hi Roy

The make and model of my box is dn372t. I've never had this problem before. I switched it off for a couple of hours (standby) and when I switched it on again the problem was there. It's on all the channels. My Tv is a Bush, but I just use it for htm1 the screen to connect to my YouView box.
    I've tried looking at 'settings' on my YouView box, but it doesn't have 16.9 etc.

Carol
    Hi @Carol12

You won’t find the setting on your YouView box, and it’s unlikely the YouView box is doing it.

Accordingly, you need to look for 16:9 in the Picture settings on the Bush TV, and set that. I said this above, but have a reread, as I’ve edited it (italics) to make my advice even clearer, I hope.

Though if it really is the YouView box doing it (and they are known for doing the odd strange thing), or you want to eliminate the box as a possible culprit, then while not recording, nor about to, touch the On/Standby button on the box for just over 8 seconds until it soft reboots.

This won’t lose any of your settings, or recordings or anything; it will just make sure the box refreshes its running software from its own internal copy.

If resetting the Picture setting on the TV, or rebooting the box, cures it, please come back and tell us which.

Hi Roy
    I went back to install channels for the first time on my TV and it worked. Thanks very much for your help!
    Carol
    Hi Roy
    I thought I'd sent you a message, but I can't see it here.
    I went back to first time install on my TV and it worked.
    Thanks for your help
    Carol
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭
    Please use the 'leave a comment' box at the bottom of the page to leave replies, Carol12, and not edit comments you have made previously. Ta.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 14 April 2019, 7:34PM
    Visionman said:
    Please use the 'leave a comment' box at the bottom of the page to leave replies, Carol12, and not edit comments you have made previously. Ta.
    @Visionman

Looking at the timestamps will show that isn’t what @Carol12 has done here.

These are later postings with the ‘Accepted Answer’ flag, which, as on other forums I have seen, get promoted to sit directly under the initial query posting.

There seems to be a loophole here in the Vanilla software though, that has let @Carol12 accept one (or two!) of her own postings as answers; I can’t Like my own postings, or Thank myself for them, no matter how hard I try :smile:
    edited 14 April 2019, 3:57PM
    Aha - my rather surreal ‘Testing, Testing, please ignore’ thread confirms all my conjectures above.

Oh, and I don’t really try to Like, etc., my own postings. But when I look to see who has done so, the Vanilla software does get a bit confused about what I am about, and issues admonishments accordingly.

I am sure this could be improved....
  • JohnWhartonJohnWharton Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I have a problem! I often have to reboot my Youview box Saturday morning, but this Saturday it came on, but the first thing I spotted was the planner had changed, I have lost the days of the week, replaced by a list of TV stuff! The second thing is, it is now in the wrong aspect ratio! Third thing is I have lost my settings, they have been replaced by films??? BT have stuffed it! TV normal, old box normal, Youview attack of the Cone Heads!!! Any ideas?
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 81
    Hi, I have a problem! I often have to reboot my Youview box Saturday morning, but this Saturday it came on, but the first thing I spotted was the planner had changed, I have lost the days of the week, replaced by a list of TV stuff! The second thing is, it is now in the wrong aspect ratio! Third thing is I have lost my settings, they have been replaced by films??? BT have stuffed it! TV normal, old box normal, Youview attack of the Cone Heads!!! Any ideas?
    Goodness that's quite a list. I can't advise on most of it but it sounds like you've had a software update; in the latest versions, Settings has moved from the menu at the bottom of the screen to the top where it is now represented by a cog icon. Just press Up when you have the menu on screen to get to it.

A soft reset might sort the other bits which is usually acheived by pressing and holding the On/Standby button on the box for about 8 seconds, until it restarts
    edited 2 August 2020, 7:20AM
    @John Wharton

@Rob P has nicely covered issue 3, where Settings has gone to live at a newly fashionable address that doesn’t seem to be on anybody’s satnav yet.

Re the other two, YouView is famous for sticking with 16:9 come hell or high water, with no user settings to change this.

But have you perhaps got Zoom (Accessibility Setting) turned on? This is in the middle of the second row of buttons down on my original curvy YouView remote, and can no doubt be found on yours somewhere, if it is one of the later remotes.

If not, my next instinct with an aspect ratio change would be to re-examine how the TV is set, and perhaps look at broadcasts directly on the TV to see if they are similarly affected.

Re these two issues though, if Zoom doesn’t fix it, it would be helpful if you could please post a screenshot, so we can see what you are seeing.
    Thanks guys, but this box does have a list of screen sizes I am sure, I run it in auto! The first thing I did was check live TV and the old BT box and both running as normal, I also switched it off and let it reboot, but still the same sadly! The settings icon has gone so retune and all other settings are out of my reach and that is the root of the problem!!! I am wondering if I am one amongst many and if so there will be a lot of annoyed BT viewers! 
    Thanks guys, but this box does have a list of screen sizes I am sure, I run it in auto! The first thing I did was check live TV and the old BT box and both running as normal, I also switched it off and let it reboot, but still the same sadly! The settings icon has gone so retune and all other settings are out of my reach and that is the root of the problem!!! I am wondering if I am one amongst many and if so there will be a lot of annoyed BT viewers! 
    It has a list of screen resolutions, a different thing.

Other than that, it does not sound as if you have read the replies above carefully enough, so please go back over them, and try the suggestions made; and if it is still no go, supply the screenshot I requested so we can see what you are seeing, and we can go from there.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 422 ✭✭
    edited 2 August 2020, 10:54AM
    @JohnWharton What box do you have? As @Roy has said, the YouView boxes do not have customisable aspect ratios. 

And as advised, from the menu, use the up button to highlight the cog wheel for settings, assuming you have a Humax box.

edited 2 August 2020, 2:47PM
    @JohnWharton What box do you have? As @Roy has said, the YouView boxes do not have customisable aspect ratios. 

And as advised, from the menu, use the up button to highlight the cog wheel for settings, assuming you have a Humax box.

Up, as described by @Stevef_fr8ys, being, for the avoidance of doubt, the arrow above the OK in the centre of the remote, and you need to do this in the YouView menu, where Settings used to be on the right, but is now at the top right of the screen.

But you will need to resolve the presumed Zoom situation before you can take advantage of this, if it is indeed that, which you can do with the Zoom button on the remote.
    Hi guys, I thought this box did have aspect ratio choices but maybe not then, you know your stuff! As you say it has got resolution ie 720p and 1060 or whatever! Odd times it will get stuck on 4.7 like on Startrek Next Generation, pre widescreen! My zoom only works on text or guide, the box is small only 50X230mm supplied by BT but do not know what  it is, sorry! And I am greatfull for your help, also I am a welder and not great on spelling!!!
    P.S. My best plan is phone BT! But if I can get it sorted, I will make contact again and spill the beans! Love you guys!!!
    Update, just pressed My Tv and got settings? And yes, no aspect! Humax box moddle DTR2100, variant 84B08500. Now lost it again! Last update 3,8,2020! I think it is broken!!!
    P.S. My best plan is phone BT! But if I can get it sorted, I will make contact again and spill the beans! Love you guys!!!
    As the steel plates said to the welder, glad you could join us!