BT Sport in HDR

scottscott Posts: 2,002Member ✭✭✭
edited 21 May 2019, 4:08PM in Discussion
So come the start of the new football season we know BT will be transmitting a 4K HDR stream across its network that will be being viewed via the BT Sport app on small and large screens BUT it’s premier 4K box will be stuck showing it in 4K SDR, unless of course BT is secretly working on a new box capable of showing this stream in all its glory ;)

https://sport.bt.com/football/watch-champions-league-and-europa-league-finals-on-bt-sport-in-more-ways-than-ever-before-S11364363270644

Comments

• stereohavenstereohaven Posts: 60Member
    An extra £5 a month just for HDR on limited content, are they mad?   :D
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 336Time out
    No mention of BT tv which they seem to have given up on. All the advertisements focus on the sport (when was the last time you seen youview mentioned in its ad campaigns). I'm thinking BT have plans in development for its TV that might not include youview. 
  • scottscott Posts: 2,002Member ✭✭✭
    An extra £5 a month just for HDR on limited content, are they mad?   :D
    Yes a bit of a push. HDR on HD channels on the small screen devices will be free. The £5 add on is for both access to the 4K channel and in HDR on large screen devices. They have said it will be bundled free with certain plans so another add on to make plans attractive.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,527Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2019, 8:38PM
    HDR will come to YouView if theres a commercial demand for it.

BT TV has massive plans for it, which I suspect we've both known about for a few months/ quite some time.

The reason it has come to the apps/.com/TVs first, is because BT Sport has a confirmed 5m+ users that mostly don't use YouView and commercial companies always prioritise numbers.

I wouldn't worry about a new HDR (HLG) box. The only question is when. I suspect it won't be cheap for first time adoptors, though.

Re prioritise numbers. That's exactly why there is no sign of a new box, Humax obviously think there's no market for it at the moment. 
    There you go again. A downer on the forum and a downer on the product. The reality is you have no idea. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,244Member ✭✭✭
    Goodbye said:
    Re prioritise numbers. That's exactly why there is no sign of a new box, Humax obviously think there's no market for it at the moment. 
    Which is to misunderstand the dynamics of the current YouView marketplace.

There’s never been a Retail 4K Box, let alone an HDR one. With BT making all the running here, Humax would only make such a box if BT requested it, and committed to taking sufficient numbers to make the economics of designing and producing it worthwhile for Humax.

Ditto, if it ever came near it, for YouView (Retail).

Therefore, do not consider what Humax think of such a box’s market potential here; consider instead what BT think of it.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
    edited 21 May 2019, 10:15PM
    I have over time seen a few trolls on other fora slate this product and organisation, thinking that Humax ran YouView. They were wrong. HDR will come, despite what a few may say, But those that say don't actually know.

Youview is a solid and established market disruptor and has been for years, with over time 5 different platforms investing the use of it.  
    edited 21 May 2019, 11:14PM
    Re BT sport in HDR, surely bringing TV to the party would be a massive plus. But like I sald no mention. 
    edited 22 May 2019, 7:07AM
    Don’t get too hung up on ‘Humax’ making a new box (other box makers are available ;) )
    I am certain they won’t be looking at Huawei lol
    Visionman said:
    I have over time seen a few trolls on other fora slate this product and organisation, thinking that Humax ran YouView. They were wrong. HDR will come, despite what a few may say, But those that say don't actually know.

Youview is a solid and established market disruptor and has been for years, with over time 5 different platforms investing the use of it.  
    Isn’t ‘established disruptor’ an oxymoron?
    Holding my breath....
    edited 22 May 2019, 9:31AM
    Goodbye said:
    Re BT sport in HDR, surely bringing TV to the party would be a massive plus. But like I sald no mention. 
    Ooh look, a Dam troll!
    Holding my breath....
    Oxymoron ...that's awfully good Roy (see what I did there)
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 794Member ✭✭✭
    Hello Goodbye...........
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    That's seriously funny
    Roy said: 
    Ooh look, a Dam troll!

Ha ha! I got that one!  :D

Makes a change.  B)
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,960Member ✭✭✭
    Curiosity: who makes the BT 4K box?
    redchiz said:

Humax has always made it since release 4 years ago. Someone else makes EE's TV box and Huawei make TalkTalk's box (which you obviously know).
    edited 24 May 2019, 10:36AM
    scott said:
    redchiz said:

Humax has always made it since release 4 years ago. Someone else makes EE's TV box and Huawei make TalkTalk's box (which you obviously know).
    The EE box was made by Netgem, and was an N8500 customised for EE, according to this.
    Holding my breath....

And Netgem do make a reasonable 4K box :) (2+2=5 :) )
    edited 24 May 2019, 6:56PM
    With the amount of money both BT & TT are pouring into YouView, theres little room for a new manufacture to get involved. 

Non-Sky 4K & HDR trials involved the BBC hand in hand with BT and NHK (Japan).
    I have no knowledge but in my opinion they'd be daft not to introduce a HDR capable YouView box. 

YouView is the biggest selling brand box, out-stripping Freeview Play by a factor of 3, It gets the most updates and all devices are guaranteed to get such for the life of the hardware. Others choose to cease support, as they want new sales for new kit and some only a few years old then find themselves unsupported. If I'd spent 2 grand on say a 4K TV that became unsupported after 3 years because they wanted me to buy the new one, I'd personally be furious.
    edited 24 May 2019, 9:05PM
    Visionman said:
    With the amount of money both BT & TT are pouring into YouView, theres little room for a new manufacture to get involved. 

Non-Sky 4K & HDR trials involved the BBC hand in hand with BT and NHK (Japan).
    I have no knowledge but in my opinion they'd be daft not to introduce a HDR capable YouView box. 

YouView is the biggest selling brand box, out-stripping Freeview Play by a factor of 3, It gets the most updates and all devices are guaranteed to get such for the life of the hardware. Others choose to cease support, as they want new sales for new kit and some only a few years old then find themselves unsupported. If I'd spent 2 grand on say a 4K TV that became unsupported after 3 years because they wanted me to buy the new one, I'd personally be furious.
    Yes, it could never happen to a YouView box, could it, even the original DRT-T1000?  Oh, wait......
    Holding my breath....
    edited 24 May 2019, 9:58PM
    Your being a hypocrite and you know you are. You were fully briefed as to why T1000s can no longer get new features (old tech). But they do still remain supported. C'mon Roy.
    Visionman said:
    Your being a hypocrite and you know you are. You were fully briefed as to why T1000s can no longer get new features (old tech). But they do still remain supported. C'mon Roy.
    You will have to define for me what ‘supported’ means in this context.

You can’t ring YouView any more, BT will swap it out for a newer model for subscribers, the last software release, in July 2018, forked these boxes off from the mainstream, and everyone has given up on trying to make them do the latest things.

If you mean will we in the Community still answer questions about them, sure we will; but there is probably a forum somewhere that will ‘support’ my Betamax recorder in the same way.

I would like to know, though, which manufacturers are declining to support kit only a few years old; everything made since 2013 should still be going strong.

I don’t, by the way, disapprove in the slightest of the T1000 being dropped; it’s had its six years, and it’s old tech. And this is what every manufacturer does - it’s no shame,

But you mustn’t pretend that YouView is any different; even though they tried to be, which was praiseworthy, the slowest ship in the convoy was just too slow to stay in the convoy  :'(
    Holding my breath....
    edited 25 May 2019, 12:28PM
     "Biggest selling brand box" when I was between replacing my zapper (brilliant bedroom box) and getting the not really suitable for the bedroom because of the racket it makes 4k box I looked at what was available on the market,  the bt 2110 was by far the best for what it does and the price, way superior and cheaper then the equivalent Humax freeview play effort.  Point being many people bought it despite youview not because of it. BT spend billions ( hasn't season 4 been a disappointment) on the sport but apparently invest the bare minimum on its TV. Youview was never meant to be a pay platform, BT hijacked it thus leading to the creation of freeview play and just like it did with bt vision will probably ditch it and offer something else to hitch its sport to.
    edited 25 May 2019, 2:39PM
    Goodbye said:
     "Biggest selling brand box" when I was between replacing my zapper (brilliant bedroom box) and getting the not really suitable for the bedroom because of the racket it makes 4k box I looked at what was available on the market,  the bt 2110 was by far the best for what it does and the price, way superior and cheaper then the equivalent Humax freeview play effort.  Point being many people bought it despite youview not because of it. BT spend billions ( hasn't season 4 been a disappointment) on the sport but apparently invest the bare minimum on its TV. Youview was never meant to be a pay platform, BT hijacked it thus leading to the creation of freeview play and just like it did with bt vision will probably ditch it and offer something else to hitch its sport to.
    A bold statement there. You could actually quite as easily say BT AND TalkTalk saved it (giving away boxes with a subscription made the numbers) and Freeview play would have come along anyway because of the complicated code originally in the boxes that made it difficult to add new things. Without BT and TalkTalk pumping the amount of money they are YouView could have been dead in the water a long time ago. But this is all conjecture, we are where we are and BT are still pumping a lot of time and effort into getting NowTV working on its YouView boxes so don’t expect them to be pulling the plug anytime soon.
  • David8David8 Posts: 650Member ✭✭
    edited 26 May 2019, 11:08AM
    I wonder whether Virgin will get access to the BT Sport games in 4K HDR next season ?

They are currently showing French Open tennis in HDR on their V6 STB.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019/05/25/virgin-media-screen-eurosport-roland-garros-coverage-in-hdr/
    edited 26 May 2019, 2:11PM
    Unlikely. It's a usp so why would they.  
  • David8David8 Posts: 650Member ✭✭
    UHD BT Sport was a USP but Virgin got access to it.
    Virgin used to be able to claim it was the only place to watch both sky and BT sports. With Sky sports soon to be offering BT alongside its sports packages sky/bt are more then likely to want to offer UHD as the icing on the cake to entice subscribers.