Netflix

jbeddoesjbeddoes Member Posts: 7
My YouView box is supported by a Powerline adaptor.  When I watch Netflix I get the buffering circle every time and have to exit the programme.  What can I do to fix this problem?  Does anyone know why this happens?  Thanks

Comments

• Davey23Davey23 Member Posts: 57
    I used to run my box on talk talk powerline adapters and the cables they came supplied with.
    They were yellow cat5 network cables which is very old spec, i changed these cables to a newer cable and my problems vanished, my problem was nowtv doing the same.

I now use a sky wifi adapter.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    Try logging out of Netflix then logging back in. Whats your internet speed via powerline?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • jbeddoesjbeddoes Member Posts: 7
    Internet speed 14.5 MBS.  I too have a yellow cat5 network cable -clearly need to update this! Thanks both for your advice much appreciated.
    Having upgraded my network cable and checking my internet speed (very good) I am STILL experiencing the same problem i.e.circle in middle of screen which then becomes 'sorry we are having trouble playing this title at the moment'.  Having tried previous suggestions does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem?
    Thanks
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 291 ✭✭
    Which box do you have? Who is your ISP?
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭
    Power Line Adapters can be problematic with some house wiring @jbeddoes. Try running your box connected directly to your router with a cable. A Cat5e cable should be fine. If the problem disappears, then the issue is with your wiring.
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Time out Posts: 336
    Problem with connecting directly is when your box is nowhere near your router. Power lines can be a pain, my solution was to buy a wireless now stick and use that for streaming and the youview for recording. Works perfectly. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,998 ✭✭✭
    @jbeddoes @jonesh

I concur with jonesh’s suggestion as a test, or even as a permanent arrangement if that is convenient, but would add some thoughts, even if that works - and especially if it doesn’t, or you want to go back to the PLAs if you can:-

Presumably you have tried a flight of reboots, by powering off router, PLAs, and YouView box, all at the mains, and then turning them back on one by one, from the router outwards, allowing each to stabilise before turning on the next?

And all your PLAs are directly in a mains socket, not on any sort of adaptor or extension cable?

Is it just Netflix that is affected? What happens with a comparable load, such as a BBC iPlayer programme played at Best Quality?

Have you tried signing out of Netflix and signing in again, to shift any cruft that might have accumulated in your cached details?
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    I concur with both suggestions but would try Roy's first. Log onto a PC or laptop (not phone) and log off Netflix and then back on again. That should fix it as the only problem you have is with Netflix.
    Stevef_fr8ys It is a TalkTalk YouView box and my IP is Shell Energy (formerly First Utility).
    Have you logged off and on?
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 291 ✭✭
    jbeddoes said:
    Stevef_fr8ys It is a TalkTalk YouView box and my IP is Shell Energy (formerly First Utility).
    Oh, just wondered as sometimes Talktalk will swap over if you are a customer, but as you are not a customer it does not apply. Try the various suggestions given to you. 
    Hope they work.
    edited 30 May 2019, 1:47PM
    Goodbye said:
    Problem with connecting directly is when your box is nowhere near your router. Power lines can be a pain, my solution was to buy a wireless now stick and use that for streaming and the youview for recording. Works perfectly. 
    Are you suggesting that @jbeddoes should try and run her YouView box without an internet connection?

You may be offering that advice in good faith, but it is not something I would advocate anyone doing.
    edited 28 May 2019, 5:03PM
    "Problem with connecting directly is when your box is nowhere near your router. Power lines can be a pain, my solution was to buy a wireless now stick and use that for streaming and the youview for recording. Works perfectly."

That advice is completely the opposite of what you should do. 
    edited 30 May 2019, 1:47PM
    Visionman said:
    "Problem with connecting directly is when your box is nowhere near your router. Power lines can be a pain, my solution was to buy a wireless now stick and use that for streaming and the youview for recording. Works perfectly."

That advice is completely the opposite of what you should do. 
    You mean she should stream on the YouView box and record on the NowTV Stick?  :p

Evidently, the unsuitable advice given above is beyond rescue by a simple reversal  :#
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 May 2019, 6:39PM
    It really is worth testing with a direct ethernet connection, even if that is not a convenient solution in the long term. As others have said that will identify any issues with the powerline adapters.

Goodbye said:

That is not a solution, it is an entirely alternative approach. My YouView box doesn't make coffee, but my Nespresso machine? Works perfectly.
    Let me explain..my lounge box sits next to the router and works perfectly well.  My pla bedroom box is upstairs on the other side of the house and somtimes it wont even display the epg as the connection is that bad. Over the years must have gone through 3 sets of pla's so in my case it must be the house wiring. For me testing by direct connection would aspire to pointless as I would never be in a position to resort to using it. Short of youview bringing out a wireless box the now stick guarantees near perfect streaming. Still have the pla's but the now stick is the default option for streaming using the box for recording. 
    @Goodbye

Using which YouView box for recording? The local one? the bedroom one? Both?

Using the NowTV Stick where? Lounge? Bedroom? Both?

If you can use the NowTV Stick OK in the bedroom where the PLAs don’t work very well, I would suggest that a nanorouter on the YouView box would better fit the bill, and the NowTV Stick be reserved for streaming NowTV Entertainment and/or Sport, until these are added to our YouView boxes, after which the Stick becomes superfluous, as far as the bedroom is concerned, though it may be useful elsewhere.

But if the Stick only works in the lounge, that wouldn’t really solve @jbeddoes’ problem. 
    Of all the solutions above your the first to mention a nanorouter, thought that would be the obvious alternative. 
    Goodbye said:
    Of all the solutions above you’re the first to mention a nanorouter, thought that would be the obvious alternative. 
    Aw you could’ve, done a bit of fence-mending......
    edited 29 May 2019, 4:18PM
    @Roy  Thank you for all your suggestions, much appreciated.  The problem only occurs with Netflix - watching BBC IPlayer is fine, no problems at all.  The PLA is in a mains socket. I have now completely exited Netflix and logged back in. I agree with @jonesh suggestions and will give that a go.  Many thanks all.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May 2019, 10:40PM
    I hope that you have success @jbeddoes.

I gave up on PLAs a few years ago, because they didn't work reliably in part of our house. Since then my house has been re-wired. They might work OK now, but I like the stability of a cable connection.
    jonesh said:
    I hope that you have success @jbeddoes.

I gave up on PLAs a few years ago, because they didn't work reliably in part of our house. Since then my house has been re-wired. They might work OK now, but I like the stability of a cable connection.
    There’s a cable running from the house to my garden room, but it’s a mains cable only, and WiFi from the house barely reaches the bottom of the garden.

So I pretty much have to use PLAs, and I needed the sort that have a WiFi repeater at the far end,

I don’t have a YouView box down there, or even a TV, but I do have my two work computers. So I guess you could say that every penny I earn goes over those PLAs.

A dependency indeed, for my livelihood if not my life, but they haven’t let me down once, the handover from router WiFi to PLA WiFi is seamless, and they have been rock solid since day one.
    edited 30 May 2019, 9:01AM
    I praise the lord every day for blessing me with a job I adore.  But if I had to choose another, working from my garden would  definitely be at the very top of the list. 
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 171
    Likewise @Roy I have never had an issue with PLAs. I have my 4K Youview box from BT running off PLA alongside the TVs smart features and an Nvidia Shield. Works a treat as they say.
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
    For everyone who swears by them there will be a greater number who swears at them. It's all down to the house wiring and not the actual PLA's.
    Visionman said:
    Have you logged off and on?
    I have Yes.
    Roy  Thank you for all your suggestions, much appreciated.  The problem only occurs with Netflix - watching BBC IPlayer is fine, no problems at all.  The PLA is in a mains socket. I have now completely exited Netflix and logged back in. I agree with @jonesh
    oops posted before I was ready.  I agree with @jonesh and think it probably best if I try using a cable instead of PLA.  Appreciate all the sugestions.
    Jill